Corrugations & Pregnant Women?

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 08:00
ThreadID: 59507 Views:5836 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All

Well I have recently been informed I am going to be a dad in about 8 months which I am obviously happy and aprehensive about. But I also have a 5 day Whyalla-Birdsville-Innamincka-Whyalla trip planned in August which obviously involves over 1000 km's of dirt and possibly corrugated roads. My question is have any of the mums out there and dad's caring for mums recieved any professional medical advice about expectant mums and driving off the bitumen?

Thanks in Advance

Snowy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 08:26

Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 08:26
Hi Snowy

I just asked my Cook, re your thread.

Early stages not to much of a problem.

Try to get out and stretch the legs, re circulation.

Take plenty of fluids.

MOST IMPORTANT SEE THE HER MEDICO FOR THE TRIP OK.
Now where do I send the Bill. (Good Luck)

Cheers Daza
AnswerID: 313943

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 08:57

Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 08:57
The roads you are talking about are graded regularly and are pretty much devoid of corrugations. Not sure of the Walkers Cross track...might be a few light ones there. If you are going via Cordillo Downs to Inna then you an expect lots of corrugations unles the road has been graded recently.

5 days to travel that route won't give you much time to relax and smell the wild flowers and unwind, and it may put your partner in a bit of stress as you will be motoring most of time.

Cheers
AnswerID: 313946

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 08:57

Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 08:57
About 40 years back the wife was overdue and the scuttlebutt was that you should take her for a drive over some rough roads. Took off in the Mini Minor for a day on the rough country roads, didn't do anything at all??

AnswerID: 313947

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 12:47

Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 12:47
Notso,

You forgot to give her orange juice first!!!

Works every time,

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 580061

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, Jul 07, 2008 at 09:00

Monday, Jul 07, 2008 at 09:00
Nearly 40 yrs back my future wife and I took off in the Mini Minor for a day on the rough country roads and she came back pregnant.
FollowupID: 580239

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Monday, Jul 07, 2008 at 15:45

Monday, Jul 07, 2008 at 15:45
You old sages have all the experience in the world except that some is a little off. Bob of KAOS, Can I give you a little tidbit of advice. IT WASNT THE CORRUGATIONS OR THE MINI MINOR that made her pregnant. It was the moonlit night and the warm winds caressing the sanddune and all those stars in the heavens that did the trick. Now go back and try it again.
Haven't seen either of you around on here for a little while (not that active myself for that matter) and its good to see you here.
Bob Y keep drinking the Orang Juice. It wont help you deliver the pot belly if you have one (and I should know) but it does help out our suffering growers from around here. Just make sure its Australian and no imported concentrate
FollowupID: 580280

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 09:00

Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 09:00
I was brave (or stupid) enough to take My Darling wife along THE crappiest dirt road in the area (Hawks Nest Road for those who know it) and all that I can say happened is that there was mass discomfort in the car, My Darling was very very upset because she got jiggled everywhere and I was therefore uncomfortable by proximity.

Interestingly it also turned the air inside the vehicle to ICE for the remainder of the trip.

No birth was accelerated
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 313949

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 13:43

Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 13:43
LOL you got off easy.

FollowupID: 580069

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 17:00

Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 17:00
We were still going to bike rallys when it was 8mths pregnant... no problems at all.

The peanut wont even know your going over them.
AnswerID: 314015

Reply By: Member - Littleborgy (SA) - Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 21:07

Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 21:07
Snowy,

I took my missus on the Robe - Beachport track late last year when she was 3 months pregnant... Baby was born last month with no problems at all.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Brad
AnswerID: 314048

Reply By: trains - Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 21:18

Saturday, Jul 05, 2008 at 21:18
CONGRATULATIONS

Sounds like you are in the early stages then.

I would reccomend that you wait till the first 3 months are up, and you have had your first round ultrasounds to check for tl etc.

The risk of miscarrige is greatest during this early time, and you dont want to be miles from anywhere, and suffer this.

However being aware of the risks dosent mean that you should not travel, just make an informed decision, and go with it.

All the best for you, Baby, and Mom.

Trains
AnswerID: 314052

Reply By: Bap - Monday, Jul 07, 2008 at 13:39

Monday, Jul 07, 2008 at 13:39
Hi Snowy,
Congratulations.
Haven't recieved any medical advice but, I travelled in a small dinghy (sitting in the front!) over very choppy waves while 3 months pregnant with my third child and she came out perfect!
Have also been over corrugated roads, played volleyball and tennis while pregnant and had no problems.

I personally would get the doctor to do some scans and make sure all is ok first, not only with the baby but also with the placenta, etc

Michelle
AnswerID: 314239

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:25

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:25
2006 We went over the french line 7mth pregnant. No worries. The fellas recond that it would be a girl cause the rough tracks would vibrate the balls off a boy. He turned out fine. I must add the hand grip over the door got a work out with my right hand on the seat belt catch to lift myself off the seat. I was due with the second one and entered in a one day Endeavour Rally. I drove and the little bugger still didnt want to arrive on time.
I would how ever recomend if you can wait for the first trimester to be over.
Happy travels.
Sharon
AnswerID: 314659

Sponsored Links