Is it any wonder things break on the Canning (Well 33 <span class="highlight">Corrugations</span> -Video)

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 13:45
ThreadID: 72571 Views:4804 Replies:8 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Following on from the last clips I posted from the top end of the Canning, I’ve finally managed to download, convert and upload to Vimeo some short clips of the horrendous corrugations that exist on the 35 km section to the north of Well 33, Kurnawarritji. (We were heading south towards 33.)

These beauties deserve to be called mountain ranges in their own right and are unfortunately all to representative of what the Canning is becoming, particularly in the middle sections from Georgia Bore (Well 22) to Well 34. Just keep an eye on John and Suzettes “desert Dinghy” (as I’ve nicknamed their Ultimate Camper) as it takes off. The unit rises a good 30 cm or so as it climbs the bumps.

I don’t know what the solution is other than a damn good work over with a grader but it clearly demonstrates just why you have to have your vehicle in good condition, thesuspension well set, tyres on goods condition and at low pressures and slow speeds. I will definitely be getting some adjustable shocks on the new beast as per the J & S mobile as they handled the conditions well.

For info – top speed for the section 20 kph. Majority of the distance at much less than that. Tyres at 20 psi rear and 16 psi front. This will damage the sidewalls after prolonged distance so take it easy. Highest shocker temperature recorded – hot enough to bake bread (almost).

All expletives and coarse language contained herein is entirely mine and thoroughly justified!! The Sony video camera has an excellent stabilisation system so a lot of the impact is lost. Just keep an eye on the sandflag pole as it oscillates sideways.

John winding back the shock absorbers on the way to Well 33

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 13:59

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 13:59
Mick,
my teeth were rattling just watching & listening to the video. The sound really gives it away...
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 384792

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 14:38

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 14:38
Cheers Fred,

I'll be putting a lot of thought into the new beast when she finally gets here. Perhaps a hovercraft skirt and serious down fans for the worst parts LOL.

Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652580

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 14:19

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 14:19
Hi Mick
Videos never do the real thing any justice. I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel from here. Do you think that was the cause of the sub fuel tank damage? They bring back very vivid memories of the section from Mackenzie Breakaways to Parallel No 2 Road and from near Geraldton Bore to Mount Beadell.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 384796

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 14:37

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 14:37
Hi Stephen,

no doubt about it in my mind. The corrugations along the Canning would have contributed to the fatigue in the rear mounts. The good thing was I was able to provide suitable feedback to the manufacturers who have now given consideration to double siding the mounts. Given that you could only see the conditions becoming worse out there in the coming years, I think a lot of manufacturers of aftermarket accessories will have to give serious thought to the strength of the mounting systems.

The McKenzie break corrugations were equally as bad. I will say that having that more solid base, they tended to be a lot more uniform than the Canning. They just changed the distance between the bumps and the height continuously so you could never get on top of them.

I don't know why they don't ask vehicles in groups to take turns in towing a few old tyres on chain as they travel. This would certainly help in levelling off the bad areas at minimal annoyance to travellers, especially when the burden is shared. Given that hardly anyone travels the Canning alone, you could comfortably spread that task amongst a group. Five sets at the worst sections along the Canning being picked up and towed back by oncoming groups would really help. Perhaps the NFWDA could nominate the pick up points, sections to be done and the vehicles responsible as part of their administration of the permits?

Just a thought.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652578

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2009 at 20:23

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2009 at 20:23
Hi Mick

That reminds me of when I carted all the posts and wire for the new dog fence for Balta Baltana (think that's spelt correctly), adjacent to Twins Stn in SA back ~1960. There was no roads at all. I had a 5 ton Dodge and dragged its tailgate behind me to make the "road".

Thanks for the memories.

Malcolm

living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652838

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2009 at 18:37

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2009 at 18:37
Actually found a photo ....

Image Could Not Be Found

Actually caused me to "save" a number of my old photos to digital format.

Malcolm

living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652922

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 15:41

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 15:41
Brings back memories when we went to Dalhousie 11 years ago. We couldn't hear our friends on the Uhf.
The other guys were right Defiantly teeth chatter viewing.
AnswerID: 384810

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 17:31

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 17:31
It hasn't got any better since then Old Girl. Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652602

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 16:10

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 16:10
Mick, you mention the shocker temperatures you recorded. What temperatures did you record?

The thing that would bug me the most is the speeds below cruise control speeds that allow me to take my foot off the throttle. Knee pain would take over.
AnswerID: 384814

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 17:30

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 17:30
20 kph is a cruise speed and even that is too painful LOL. There is just no getting on top of them. Max temp you don't want to know but well over 100C in the rear. That's with brand new OME shocks.John with his adjustable Toughdog big bores got to 58C max in the rear. I was very impressed with them.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652601

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 18:17

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 18:17
Mick, you shouldn't have trouble util you pass 200ºC where seals may start to leak. Of course the capacity to dissipate energy will have been lost significantly by then. Sounds like you need a better grade to do it next time. LOL
FollowupID: 652607

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 17:03

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 17:03
Mick,
great video footage and while I was watching I could just imagine the amount the dash and windscreen were jumping.

Have a good one and hope you didn't have to get new fillings
AnswerID: 384821

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 17:32

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 17:32
Thank god it was the Pootrol! I'll be interested to see how the new Landcruisers plastic dash fairs next year. Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652603

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 18:23

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 18:23
We have just got back from the CSR too, you are right the corrugations either sid eof Well 33 were horrendous, although we did the Gunbarrel on the way over & I would almost say they were worse, certainly much longer stretches of them.

AnswerID: 384830

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 19:00

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 19:00
Agree totally Shaker. The Gunbarrel is a corrugated hell these days. Should be called the “Double Barrel” due to the number of tracks running parallel to each other on some sections. All as badly corrugated as each other. Won't use it these days. Prefer the Hunt or DCR down to the Great Central.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652609

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 19:09

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 19:09
Hi Shaker
We did a mixture of tracks recently and thought that the corrugations from the other side of Geraldton Bore to past Mount Beadell were shocking. In many places, the main track would split into 4 and more tracks where people had tried to find a smoother track, but they were all the same. If you went that way, you will know what I on about.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652611

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 19:20

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 19:20
Hi Shaker
I'll second that !
We towed our Ultimate across the Gunbarrel and completed the Canning last July / August. Very lucky though, the only casualty were the bottom shocker bushes on the Ultimate.
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 652615

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 23:58

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 23:58
I agree about the 4 tarcks being as bad as one another, the funny thing is that the ones that you aren't on .... always look better!

My only casualty was broken brackets on the side steps.

We knew the track was going to be ugly, but being an iconic track we had to do it!

FollowupID: 652647

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 02:31

Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 02:31
Shaker

"the funny thing is that the ones that you aren't on .... always look better!"

How true.. LOL

Cheers

Richard

Image Could Not Be Found

May 2009

FollowupID: 652650

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:23

Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:23
I'll second that Richard.
Was always weaving from one to the other trying to find relief.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 652677

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 22:49

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 22:49
Mick, Kerry watched the first one and all she said was PASS.
I suspect if I ever do the CSR it won't be with her in the passenger seat.

I wonder how a hover craft would go?

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 384858

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:01

Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:01
Your right Dunc, She's suffered enough LOL. Queen Vikk saw it and asked "You actually enjoy that?!"

I often wondered how the skirst of a hovercraft would go on the bush. She'd have to be a big military typre. The other thing I wondered about were the sets of tracks I've seen some cruisers and Land rovers fitted with and how they would cope?

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652665

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 00:23

Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 00:23
Ah yes a few memories in that lot :-)

Good to see you had the powdered milk in unbreakable plastic containers or life would have been much worse :-)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 384862

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:30

Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:30
Did you check out the corrugative consequences to the cartons of UHT in my blog for 20th June. Powdered milk is good....we love powdered milk LOL.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 652667

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:15

Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:15
My UHT milk containers either rubbed through or got lumpy, also had the ends blow out of the ring pull food cans, lovely mess of soup, peas & corn, sardines, pulped can labels & rusty cans!

FollowupID: 652676

Sponsored Links