Driving on Corrugations

Submitted: Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:19
ThreadID: 37529 Views:5439 Replies:14 FollowUps:32
This Thread has been Archived
Willem has a post about the damage that driving on corrugations has done to his vehicle, and I have done my fair share of driving on corrugations over the last 4 months, with some damage to vehicle and body.

What I would like to know is what is your theory on driving on corrugations, fast or slow, increase tyre pressure or decrease it, stop every 5 minutes to allow the shocks to cool, and are coil springs better on corrugations than leaf?

What is your best method for getting over the dreaded corrugations?

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:35

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:35
Hi Wayne

No doubt this will bring out as many views as there are corrugations on the CSR.

My take on it is that you are better slowing down, rather than going fast with the objective of skipping over the top.

My reasoning is born from a view that things break when put under stress (G-forces) and therefore the faster the speed over the 'bumps' the greater the G-forces you are applying to components on a vehicle - at some point they will break when exposed to opposing forces.

Aircraft apply the same principal, when flying in turbulence they actually slow the aircraft down when going through the 'bumps' as there are components in the aircraft that will break beyond a certain 'G-rating'.

The same applies for a boat going through choppy conditions.

Logically this thoery applies to vehicles. Whilst not having the same off-road exposure as yourself, I have always slowed down when on corrugations and I am yet to break anything.........

Regards
Baz

AnswerID: 193426

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 09:04

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 09:04
Just further to my post this is the supporting equation.

A "G" is a measurement of force that is equal to the force of gravity pushing down on a stationary object on the earth's surface. Gravitational force actually refers to an object's weight (Force equals Mass times Acceleration, or F = ma.).

Therefore the higher the speed the greater the force applied to components on the vehicle (when bouncing on/over corrugations).

FollowupID: 451335

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:37

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:37
Baz ,
I can't entirely agree about the boat slowing down in a chop . Often it is better to get up on the plane and go wave top to wave top .
I know that it's much more comfortable at the "right" speed on corrugations , but I guess it may not be best for the car .
It will be interesting to read all the responses .
Willie .
PS
Did you notice that the back has fallen off your Landie mate ?
FollowupID: 451388

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:45

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:45
Oh bloody hell; that's the last time she (SWMBO) gets to take The Landy out!

Should be all finished in a couple of weeks..............canopy being built at the moment and a new lick of paint is going on it to spruce it up. Fitting Koni shocks (bloody corrugations) and a few other bits as well.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 451396

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:40

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:40
Ahhh Wayne

Is there definitve answer???...LOL.

We are going to see some interesting replies.

I would think that I have minimised damage by running tyre pressures on truck at 20psi and on trailer at 10psi and trying to maintain a speed of 60kmh on the Anne Beadell and some other corrugated tracks. Others say 80kmh is better so that the vehicle gets up on a plane ( like a speedboat ). This is not always possible.

On the Gunbarrel I sat on 80kmh and some parts of the old Tojo came loose and fell off...lol.

Coil springs seem to work better for me and my OME shocks on the GQ did not get too hot.

Cheers
AnswerID: 193428

Follow Up By: greydemon - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:54

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:54
"On the Gunbarrel I sat on 80kmh..."

Are we talking about the same gunbarrel, the one through Carnegie station with all the washaways, sudden holes, anthills etc. You are a braver man than I young Willem. I am a fan of 'planeing' on the bumps and like to go 70-80kph but couldn't manage that on the gunbarrel. In one section we only managed about 90 kms in 4 hours.

Mind you, I would go back tomorrow given the chance - loved every minute of it!

In support of the 'drive fast' theory, on the way back down the Central Desert road we were regularly breaking the speed limit and had a smooth and uneventful trip back.

Damn, now I am rally starting to pine. I think I'll knock off early today and grease my hubs.
FollowupID: 451371

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:40

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:40
Mr Demon ,

When we were on the Gunbarrel in June it was easy to do 80 kph as the grader had been all the way through and past Carnegie .

Willie .
FollowupID: 451389

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:59

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:59
Greydemon

It was way back in '94. The 'barrel hadn't seen a grader in years. It was my first and my last although I crossed the 'barrel again this year going north. Once I have been on a track I have been there and done that...although I have been on the CSR 3 times now and Simspson 6 times...lol. Not on all the same tracks though

I did the 'abandoned' section of the Gunbarrel that year as well. There are some lovely stands of Desert Oaks and the country side is quite scenic.

FollowupID: 451398

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:44

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:44
Corros. Ug ! I hate em with a passion. But there are corros and there are corros. Those on the Cape can rival those on the Gunbarrel, and there's every variation in between to be found. Regardless of where they are found, they're not good.
Some travel as fast as they can over them. These people often seem to come to strife. I've found that the old 80km rule works for me. One of the problems is getting going again when you're stopped. Everything shakes. Heavens only knows how the ladies survive such a shaking.
Good suspension such as OME improves the ride dramatically. Springs are more comfortable than coils.
There is only one good thing to be said about corros : when you eventually get to the end of them, you can finally unglue your top teeth from your bottom.
AnswerID: 193429

Reply By: Member - Banjo (WA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 09:14

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 09:14
All I can say is that to go slow over them means a very long trip.

At 60-80kph, or whatever, there seems to me to be less stress on everything.

Getting started, at first, is OK as the vehicle goes up and down the corrugations. Then as the speed increases the shaking really concerns me, until the point is reached where you're 'skipping' over the top of them and the vibrations seem to be less severe.

At the Cape I tried the slow method for a while but gave up just so I could reach the destination before old age set in.

Luckily the Troopy didn't rattle to pieces, nor did the teeth drop out, but what a noise!

Couldn't you make your unsuspecting customers guinea pigs by trying various methods and give us all the answer?

Banjo (WA)
AnswerID: 193435

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:16

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:16
Banjo,

I did have a situation on the Canning this year.

There were 4 100 series vehicles, all were turbo diesel, independent front end.
They all had after market suspension fitted (shocks all round and rear coils) but only one had changed the front torsion bars.One vehicle had the rear coils replaced with air bags.

On the section that is marked on the map as having bad corrugations( I have not seen any good corrugations) just before Well 33, this is what happened.

Vehicle 1 Bilstein shocks all round, Lovell coils on the rear, Lovell torsion bars at the front, 2 people in the vehicle, roof top tent, weight 4t+.

Vehicle 2 Bilstein shocks all round, rear coils replaced with air bags, std torsion bars at the front, 2 people in the vehicle, roof rack overloaded, weight 4t+

Vehicle 3 Bilstein shocks all round, Lovell coils on the rear, Lovell torsion bar on the front, 2 people in the vehicle, roof rack loaded, weight 4t+

Vehicle 4 OME shocks all round, Lovell coils on the rear, std torsion bars on the front, 2 people in the vehicle, no roof rack, 3t+

Vehicles 1 & 2 had both front shocks fail. They wanted to travel slow over the corrugations and stop after 5 minutes to allow the shocks to cool.

Vehicles 3 & 4 travelled at 70kph and didn't have a shock or front suspension problem.

All the other vehicles except one also got through with out shock problems. The other vehicle was a Hilux with independent front end and it blew a front shock.

To me, this makes me think that driving at a pace that allows the vehicle to ride on top of the corrugations and keeping the weight down on the roof rack and in the vehicle will allow the vehicle to travel over the corrugations with the least amount of damage.

Wayne
FollowupID: 451345

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:35

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:35
Wayne

That is interesting, but for a good comparison you would need to take account of the age of the components (although presumably they were all new in this case). The other thing to bear in mind is that whilst suspension and shocks would be the likely failure points over the corrugations, it could be any component on the vehicle.

There may well be an optimum speed to travel at depending on the specific vehicle and conditions, but overall you'd still need to work on the law of physics - higher speed equals higher forces on the vehicle components over the corrugations, leading to an increased chance of damage.

Lower speed may mean a less comfortable ride, but more stress on the vehicle. However, therein lies one of the deceptions in this issue, because the ride feels better it is easy to form an opinion that it must be doing less damage to the vehicle versus going slower and feeling the corrugations more.

FollowupID: 451349

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:49

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:49
Hi Wayne,
Welcome back. I have another theory about 100series IFS front shocks - they are so short, and have to dampen a lot of weight - very hard to handle it. See them spit all their oil after a day or 2 on the Madigan Line at an average of 8 kph! Second theory is that aftermarket shocks are never as reliable as the original factory shocks, which are usually quality Japanese meade Tokico.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 451351

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:04

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:04
I grew up in Marble Bar in the 80's and a sealed road was 'fancy'. Corrugations were so bad on the Marble Bar - Headland road that after 1 trip in the brand new cortina that my parents owned when we moved there caused them to sell it and buy a 4wd as the dash started to fall apart after the first hour of driving. It turned out to be one of the first Jackaroo's, 83' model I think from memory that they bought.

It was common knowledge that 80km/hr was the speed to travel that road, leaf sprung cruises and IFS jackaroo's etc were common place. After market suspension?? What's that? Tyre pressures? They're pumped up aren't they??

That was the attitude there and then anyway.

Personally, if you drive corrugations for long periods with 40psi or similar in you're tyres you're a mad bastard.

I normally go 30psi or even lower if they are really bad. The speed I travel at varies on the conditions but I have never found corrugations that you cannot find a "sweet spot" on. You just speed up and and slow down and you will feel the vehicle jump around violently at some speeds and then settle down to a nice rythm at other speeds, find the speed that suits the conditions with minimal vibrations and you'll be fine IMHO.

But like anything to do with 4wd's, tyre pressure, tyre pressure, tyre pressure.
I was driving a Nissan Maxima around Kalbari about 10 years ago and was doing a gravel road, it was nasty pastie. I drove along for about half and hour until the stereo's factory amplifire in the parcel shelf cracked a circut board and stopped working. I then stopped and let the tyres down (never thinking to do it in a road car! DEERRR!) and whamo it was like there weren't any corrugations after that! The difference is amazing.
FollowupID: 451356

Follow Up By: greydemon - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:09

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:09
Landy, I think that there is a flaw in your theory about higher speeds meaning higher forces. The speed is horizontal, the forces you are concerned about are vertical.

Forget the vehicles and think of it in human terms. Say your stride length when walking is 80 cms, you are trying to cross a paddock with ditches where the ridges between them are 120cms apart. You are forced to step in the ditch, then on the ridge, then in the next ditch etc etc. The up and down forces on you are large and continuous and your false teeth will soon work loose.

Now speed up to a run, adjusting your speed until your stride length is 120cms. Now you can speed across the paddock from ridge to ridge. Your horizontal speed has increased, but your up and down forces have virtually disappeared and your teeth sit comfortably in your mouth again.

It's the same in a car on corrugations, get up to speed where you skip from ridge to ridge and you will be better off all round.
FollowupID: 451374

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:43

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:43
Hi Greydemon,
We like your theory however, whilst I am walking , albeit up and down I will still make it without too many stops, now when I'm running that would be a different story because I wouldn't get far, I would be exhausted after the first jump hence breakdown. LOL

Cheers

D&B

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 451377

Follow Up By: Off-track - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:57

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:57
Yeah sorry Landy but I too have to disagree with your theory. As long as the car is skipping from peak to peak without that horrible bang bang banging, which is easily felt by the driver, then this will place less stress on the vehicle.
FollowupID: 451379

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:58

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:58
Hi Greydemon

I am concerned about the vertical speed; as the speed of the vehicle increases there will be an increase in the G-loading applied to the vehicle as it impacts the ground whilst bouncing on the corrugations, if you slow the speed down, you will in turn slow down the G-loading. Most things will have a breaking point if enough energy is applied against them.

Now the shock absorbers and suspension may actually be able to take 'X' amount of loading, but what needs to be taken into account is that there are other parts in the vehicle, nuts, bolts, etc that may not be able to take the same amount of loading. It comes down to the weakest link somewhere. Having said that resonance (vibrations) created also needs to be taken into account. An optimum speed could be calulated for it.

To use your example of the runner; the runner will be subjected to far greater impact forces, and therefore risk of injury, at a higher speed. This is due to inertia, the faster you go the greater the inertia for a given weight. Inertia increases with speed, and consequently there is a greater downward force applied each time the runner contacts the ground.

The same principal applies to the vehicle.

I must confess to finding this topic interesting as there are numerous views on it. But if you take all the physics and science out of the discussion, it really comes back to the number one principal in 4WDriving and that is to have as much rubber contacting the ground at any one time to ensure both traction and control. The faster you go the less control you will have and I guess that becomes a safety issue.

FollowupID: 451380

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:11

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:11
Ok Landy, you go and drive at 20km/hr on the corrugations and be 'in control'.

I remember a good example of this, actually. It was down near margaret river somewhere. We were heading along a limestone track/road. Visibility was good as it was coastal scrub, the track was just wide enough for two vehilce to pass. The corrugations were absolutally shocking. We got up to around 55-60kph and that seemed to settle it down so that I could finally stear the rig without it trying to understeer off the track and then became quite an easy drive. We drove along for about 15 minutes before we came along another 4wd. This guys was doing about 15-20kph. We slowed down as flying past him at 60 was probally not a very nice thing to do, flinging dust and rocks at hime etc. All of a sudden my daughter (only a baby at that time, woke up from her sleep and starting crying becuase of the vicious bumps, I could feel the back of the car floating around on the road from left to right and my drivers door started to banging against the body of the car as the rubber seals could no longer absorb the forces of the vibrations, everyhing in the car was rattling, knocking and banging. We continued along like this for about 5 minutes (seemed like an enternity) before I got sick to death of it, It was the crying baby, the car shaking itself apart and the lack of control that were reason enough for me to decide I was going to pass him. I waited for a straight section of the track and past him, left him in my dust (literally) and traveled the rest of the section in comfort.

I don't care what the science is, going fast can, and in most cases does help, not only with ride comfort, reliability but also with control. Once I got back to that sweet spot speed, the car felt like I was driving on a normal gravel road again, no skipping or wandering, it was good as gold.
FollowupID: 451382

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:17

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:17
Jeff.........settle down!

I've never suggested a speed and I have no idea whether 20 klm per hour is appropriate. The discussion has simply been around the issue of higher speed potentially causing (more) damage to the vehicle.

FollowupID: 451383

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:25

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 13:25
Grrrr, bark, bite, GRR. LOL

The only way I can see it causing more damage is if you hit a big pot hole or similar going at higher speed. But that's not really the argument is it? It's about corrugations.

Ok so what heats up a shock? Movement? Friction? That's gotta be it right?

So traveling at lower speed my shocks are moving up and down through all the bumps, the swaying and bouncing of the vehicle is amplifiing this also as it goes over more and more bumps.

Traving fast enough to 'fly' from the top of one corrugation to the next means that my shocks are moving less, ergo less friction, ergo less heat. This ultimatly would recsult in less stress on other components such as shockie mounts, rubber bushes etc as there is less movement, therefore less stress.

When the cab is not vibrating you are going to have less chance of cracking body panels, door hinges, spare tyres mounts, inside panels, electronics etc. I'd rather replace a shocky than an ECU out bush. ;-)
FollowupID: 451384

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:39

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:39
As with most things 4WDrive I have found there are the myths, the old wives tales, and somewhere amongst it all, some facts are buried.

I believe the true answer for the ‘optimal speed’ to drive over corrugations taking into account comfort and damage considerations will be found through the application of the Laws of Physics.

Mind you I think cracking open a beer is probably far more useful, especially on a Friday afternoon, than trying to write some formula to work it all out. But at least it is good to know what you are up against.

Before I exit this discussion I thought I’d throw in my simple rule of thumb equation to work it all out

Optimal Speed = (Slow enough to ensure no damage to The Landy) but (Fast enough so as not to earn a bullocking from SWMBO for busting her chops on the corrugations)

I’ll leave you to it……have a good weekend.
FollowupID: 451395

Reply By: Des Lexic - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:10

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:10
Wayne, I tackle corrugations with low tyre pressures as Willem stated and lower speeds. Even 40k's/hr if need be.
I was terrified on a Cape trip a few tears ago when coming down the Development Rd when the high speed theory travellers come screaming around a corner in a side drift because they have lost most of there traction.
The slower speeds usually don't worry me cos at some stage in the trip, you will pass the speeders while they are repairing shockers or getting bits and pieces replaced or repairs to their vehicles.
I figure it is better to preserve your vehicle than have to pay dearly for repairs whilst on the road.
That's my 22c worth (GST Included)
AnswerID: 193447

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:51

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:51
What Des has said is what I think too.
I rarely have broken anything. Tyres can take the punishment.
FollowupID: 451353

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:45

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:45
We have to agree with this one!

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 451378

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Sep 09, 2006 at 13:12

Saturday, Sep 09, 2006 at 13:12
It's not very often that I agree with a yota driver, but, Des is right as far as I'm concerned.

Annette just reminded me of this car full of asians coming towards us in Lakefield NP on our way to Cape York in 2004. The car was something like a Mazda 626 or similar. It was bouncing all over the road (at relatively high speed of around 80k/h) and as it approached us it veered off the track away from us. The wheels were still pointing straight ahead, but the car was choosing it's own path. Luckily for the driver, the vegetation off to their side of the road had recently been bulldozed/graded and he didn't hit anything. I reckon the next stop they made would've been to arrange new jocks all-round!!! hahahaha
FollowupID: 451583

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Saturday, Sep 09, 2006 at 17:25

Saturday, Sep 09, 2006 at 17:25
Bill, are you still going to Katty Creek on the long weekend? Would like to catch up with you at some time even if its only for a few hours. Do you know which campsite you'll be at?
Cheers

Des
FollowupID: 451610

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 11:11

Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 11:11
Yes, Des, Off to Katarapco Creek on saturday 30th.....be there after lunch sometime. We haven't booked a camp site (don't think we'll have to; I hope), so not sure which one we'll be going to. Probably try to get one of the ones closest to Berri if suitable. Not sure whether I told you before, but we'll be taking the twisted tail shaft to hand it over to the Mildura family.......

Cheers mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 451824

Reply By: D-Jack - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:11

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:11
Without a doubt, you need to drop tyre pressures. Common sense tells me that more shock that is aborbed though the tyres means less shock through everying above them.

AnswerID: 193448

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:16

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:16
The 70/80 KPH rule has woked for me for a lot of the roads BUT not all. Tyre pressure adjustment has also helped. The other thing that has worked for me has been driving on the other side of the road as it seems that the shape of the corrugations are slightly sharper on the correct side of the road. Yes I make sure I'm not there around some bend etc.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 193451

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:26

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:26
To me decreasing tyre pressure is the most important thing. Not so much that your tyres are going to overheat, but enough to carry your load but soften the blow.

Other than that, it is important to watch the temps of your shocks - put your hands on them at each stop and get to know how they perform. Same for the temps on your tyres. If either are getting real hot - take it a bit easier.

Dead slow may work, but there is some sort of balance with practicality here.'

On the A-B (Coober Pedy side) and a couple of other Nullabor roads (Israelite Bay Balladonia for instance) this year was the worst I have encountered for some time, and I got home with everything intact except one roof rack bracket - but tyres were new (ran 23 Fr 27 Rr - STTs and 20 on the trailer STs) as were shockers and coils.

Well actually, I did have a trailer problem, but this was due to poor tensioning on the suspension nuts due to broken torque wrench damn it (trailer guy's - not mine).

One of my customers limped home with a crook shocker - perhaps two, and another with a crack in his barn door - GU Patrol.

We were generally doing 60-80 ks on dirt roads.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 193453

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:35

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:35
Which part to you want to break first?

Higher speed lets the cabin of the vehicle 'float' and gives you a good ride but the suspension will take a hammering. You may be sitting in comfort but the suspension is doing its job and absorbing all the bumps and bangs.

Slower speed is not as comfortable and some of the vibrations are transmitted into the cabin.

Take your pick. If it's a hire or mine vehicle..........
AnswerID: 193455

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:09

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:09
'the suspension is doing its job and absorbing all the bumps '

Yeah. Let it.

If it can't cope then you need better suspension! ;-)

Like I said previously, plenty of stock vehicles used to cruise at 80kph for 2 hours each way on disgraceful corrugations just to go to the shops! No bugger ever had any problems up there.

The only problems we used to see where:

A) Caravaners. Broken axels, rims, etc. ( Who takes a road van on those kinds of roads anyway!!?? )

B) Tourists - the ones that would go too slow or not even be in 4wd's would often be stuck on the side of the road with broken battery terminals, batteries with stuffed cells, broken engine mounts etc etc).

If the cabin is copping a pounding, so is the rest of the car!

The suspension is designed to 'work', engine mounts and battery terminals are not.
FollowupID: 451359

Follow Up By: Kiwi Kia - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:28

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:28
Hi Jeff M,
"If the cabin is copping a pounding, so is the rest of the car!"

Yes but some parts are made to take a pounding and some are not. Ideally, when driving at the right speed (what ever that is), a 'tuned' suspension should have all bits working together but if things get out of phase then something is going to break. There is a lot of maths involved and there is no simple answer.
FollowupID: 451368

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:52

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:52
For those who want to see the maths the following is a good start.....under 'frequency response'.

By the way, I'm not pretending to understand it all either, just to highlight there is some science behind it!

http://oodgeroo.ucsd.edu/~signals/hw6soln.pdf#search=%22driving%20on%20corrugations%22
FollowupID: 451370

Follow Up By: Joombi - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 08:21

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 08:21
I agree with Jeff M & Kiwi, shocks & springs are meant for this stuff, the cab isn't, thats why we have suspention, to take the stress off the cab & occupants.
I travel corrogated roads every day, in a Courier, fully loaded, sitting on 100k's with lower tyre pressures, the std shocks lasted 12 months, monroe's on now, they get replaced every 18 months) & the back springs have just been re-set ( I have been driving these roads nearly every week for 4 years.)
BUT, no other damage to the car, no cracks in the cab, no nothing.
in conclusion, this works for me, its comfortable, nothing gets damaged, except for the suspention which wears out a bit quicker than normal, & I get more work done in a day & still be home for tea.
FollowupID: 451984

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:12

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:12
Wayne
I have been pokin about on Corrugations since 1966 and find that it depends on what your driving, I was driving a T-Line International Road Train Car Carrier 1980-82 Brisbane to Darwin , on the 88klm of dirt that was there between Winton and Boulia [sealed now] it took 6 hours just crawling along but if I seen a few hundred meters of smoother stuff then I would just pop it up a gear or two ,so I apply the same theory to my 4x4 ,if the corrugation is small I can get up on top and cruise at 100 with caution but if it is bad stuff then I don't care if I drive all day in second gear, so just feel it out and drive to the conditions and have patience , OMEs help too .

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 193464

Follow Up By: Kiwi Kia - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 15:32

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 15:32
Hi Doug T, Can you tell me what tyre pressures you used on the road train?
FollowupID: 451403

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 15:38

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 15:38
Kiwi Kia

Long time ago now mate but i would presume about 95/100 psi , now I know what your gonna say,"why didn't i let air out " well firstly I had more than 4 to re-inflate, and it was only 88 klm .
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 451404

Follow Up By: Kiwi Kia - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 16:00

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 16:00
Thanks Doug, No, I was not going to ask about lowering tyre pressure. I was just wondering what pressure you used with big rigs and big loads.
FollowupID: 451411

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 19:42

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 19:42
Kiwi Kia
That's fine mate. just getting in first because i see how some blokes jump at you screw you down , So back to tyre pressures on trucks, some blokes run about 100/110 depends on whats on the trailer. I was talking to the driver of the Roadtrain Fuel tanker at Mungerannie last year and he said on the Birdsville track he runs 55psi , looked a bit baggy but he said he has less stone fractures at that pressure plus the fact he is not running high speed it's ok .I can remember the time I had to drive to Chillago in North Qld without a trailer to pick up a Boral Asphalt plant trailer and haul it back to Brisbane so I let the drive tyres down to 15 psi but left the steer at 85 psi , reason being there is very little weight on the drive and 4 tyres to carry it [ single drive ],use to cary an air line and reinflate from the from air brake lines ,well must go and see the Bad news on TV about Peter Brock ,the Master of the Mountain.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 451489

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:44

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:44
I don't think there is a fixed rule other than, drive slower, with lower tyre pressures. Type of vehicle, it's condition, weight, suspension, driver experience and type of corrugations are all factors.

On our recent trip which included GRR, Kalumburu Road, Mitchell Plateau Track, Cape Leveque Road, Bungle Bungles Road and others, we had plenty of opportunity to experiment.

As a general rule I dropped all tyre pressures by 10 to 12 lb. Most commonly we ran at 25 to 28 front and CT and 30 to 34 rear. Generally the right speed was around 75 KPH, sometimes a touch more, sometimes a bit slower.

But there were some areas where the only answer was to slow to 20KPH and ride over every corrugation. This is on the 'super corrugations' which seem to be a foot deep and a foot or more apart.

We normally stop for a short break or driver change at least every 2 hours. We do it a bit more often on the bad roads. We only noticed bad shocky fade once which was solved by a short break.

Apart from UHF antenna top breaking off and a couple of screws working loose, we had no damage. Came across others with blown tyres, broken springs and shocks, broken and lost wheel studs, wheels come off and lots more.

Some of these had never heard of adjusting tyre pressure and one insisted he had lots of experience and he always goes up to 50 PSI on corrugations.
AnswerID: 193492

Follow Up By: Shawsie (Bris) - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:59

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 14:59
Well said Norm, I couldn't agree more. Just got back from the Birdsville races taking in Camerons Cnr, Bore Track, Cordillo Downs, Walkers Crossing and Ballera gas fields - a mixture of all types of road conditions. I dropped my tyre pressures to 30Front & 32 Rear and drove around 70/80kph whenever possible, but you have to slow on those really bad ones. I did'nt have any problems throughout the whole trip, the suspension is just doing it's job.
Andrew
FollowupID: 451397

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 19:01

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 19:01
Medium to large corrugations…25 psi @ 75 kph
Huge corrugations……..25 psi @ 30 kph
These speeds smooth the bumps out enough to make the ride bearable while still having reasonable control to avoid potholes, dips & washaways. Any faster & one risks the car floating with little chance of avoiding obstacles. 25 psi allows the tyres to mound around the bumps without compromising too much on road handling or causing tyre damage.
Sure one could drop below 10 kph & save the suspension but all the screws in the dash would rattle out & the back ache would kill me driving up & over every single bump ;-) A quality, well set up suspension will handle these speeds as long as the car isn’t grossly overloaded.
Also I've found coil springs are far superior than leaves on corrugations.
Cheers Craig…..
HZJ105, 3.7 tonne loaded, Koni shocks, Lovell springs & over 250,000 km without failure. (Shocks recently rebuilt due to fading)
AnswerID: 193569

Reply By: Batboy - Saturday, Sep 09, 2006 at 12:43

Saturday, Sep 09, 2006 at 12:43
Not long back from cape york and its corrugations and I found around 60klm to be about right for the smaller corrugations but cannot believe the large ones could be driven at this speed continuously without some lose of control or severe vehicle damage.
The problem with the float on top theory is if you get out and have a look at these things you will see they vary in distance from peak to peak and in depth surely making it impossible to find the elusive sweet spot. In the same stretch they can vary from 1 foot to over two and a half foot peak to peak so you will float over some and drop into others no matter what your speed. I couldn't find a sweet spot anyway so when the roof started going boing I started slowing down
Another problem with the cape, its very difficult to maintain a steady speed due the many dips
We had few problems and I don't really mind corrugations in fact i would rather drive along a heavily corrugated road for hours to a campsite that no one goes to because the road is "to rough" than find myself in a overcrowded camp full of sedans.

God bless corrugations!
AnswerID: 193674

Reply By: Steve63 - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 17:27

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 17:27
Wayne,
Like everything in 4wd'ing. It depends. The nature of corregations change from place to place. Some are hard some are softer, the frequency changes, the height changes, sometimes there are other road related issues ie washouts. There are also factors like tyres, type ie splits vs tubeless, vehicle, loaded mass of vehicle, driver experience..... An endless list really.

Most people drop the tyre pressures. What to varies but it does make sense. You are trying to reduce the transmission of thes forces to the car. Often local info is useful as they may run tyres with slightly higher pressues because of shale etc on the road. Lower is not always better.

As for speed, who knows. I drive on them any where from 30 km/h to 80 km/h. The ones on the north end of the CSR work ok for me at ~40km/h. Some others (ususally smaller) 80km/h is fine. The main point is to stop every couple of hours and let things cool down. Check shocker and tyre temp as soon as you stop. If either is really hot then you are pushing your luck and need to look at tyre pressure/speed combination.

One point that has not really been covered in the discussion so far is the energy that is transfered to components. In general the higher the frequency the less energy. So big slower changes/vibrations may do more damage than smaller faster vibrations. This does not take account of resonance which may rapidly destroy components like circuit boards at any frequency. If you match the resonant frequecy a few seconds may destroy the component. What damage normal vibration does varies as some things flex better than others. I had a Jackaroo and the spot light mounts used to come loose or even fracture within 1,000km. I just did a 10,000km trip in the 79 series cruiser with the same lights and I didn't need to even tighten them up. Why, apparently the lights were specifically designed to go on Patrols and Cruisers.

There is not much doubt that when planing the suspension and tyres are takng a belting. How much of a belting is what everyone is talking about. The trick is not to belt them so much that you induce a failure. If things are getting really hot you are getting closer to a failure. If you go out there expecting corrigations then don't go with worn out tyres. There is a link between tyre condition and it's survival. If you belt a tyre with 2 mm of tread left chances are it will fail on you. I have seen people (tourists) trying to get tyres fixed that have had wires sticking out the side of them they were so worn but they thought they would get a few thousand k's out of them. Strangely, the mechanic declined to repair them.

Lots of people say the shocker brand helps but in reality it changes how fast they fade and how prone they are to failure. If you drive to the limits of the equipment they (mainly) all do the job. On that point, it does not matter how good the equipment, if you drive like a nutter you will eventually go past its limits and bugger the equipment. On that point the last trip I did the only shocker failure were new Koni's. Don't get me wrong, Koni's are good equipment, definitely at the great end of the scale. The truck was overloaded and the driver somewhat careless. You need to watch out for the I've got an indestructable truck syndrome ie the feeling the truck is bullet proof because it had some expensive shocks on it. Belive me that you can break any truck irrespective of how much you have spent on it if you treat it badly enough.

In general you need to weigh up the conditions and the risk of other road hazards and pick a speed and tyre pressure that is not vibrating you car apart and allows you to drive safely on the road. I use the "better to get there late than never arrive" approach. Others do the 80km/h or die in the attempt approach. If you do lower tyre pressures be aware that many high speed tyre failures are due to under inflation and the related heat build up so watch your speed with lower pressures. As always it is your choise, you are the only one that knows all the information in your case.

Steve
AnswerID: 194183

Sponsored Links