Dual Cab 4x4

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:44
ThreadID: 29018 Views:1912 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day,
I am looking at getting a ute to have as my daily commuter and weekend 4x4 so I don't know the wife's jackaroo arround too much. I am looking at around a $9K budget. I am wanting to get a diesel for the running costs side of things. What I am pretty much looking at is perferbably a Rodeo 2.8TD but am still considering the others that are out there. Any advice that can be given on what to look out for and the fuel economy of the non turbo diesel like the 2.7 Navara and the 2.8 Hilux would be most appreciated.

I am not after anything flash just someting that is reliable that I am not going to stress about getting it knocked around.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turbo Diesel - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:51

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:51
The best way to help yourself is to exhaust all efforts in looking for your 4x4. There are bargans out there you just have to look. Personally I would look for a 2.8 diesel Hilux with a live axel as opposed to the Navara or the Rodeo with ifs. Plus there are heaps of parts out there for the 2.8 Hilux no matter where you are in Australia. Some people are fitting the 3.0L TD Hilux motors to the old 2.8 when the motor finally dies. There is just so much you can do to a 2.8 Hilux. You may have to incvrease your budget if possible to around th 10 - 13 mark.
AnswerID: 144674

Reply By: vitara - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:17

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:17
Hi there Tim, mate I have the 2.8 d/cab SR5 diesel if you intend to want to get some where in a hurry forget it, flat out at a 120klm, my'n has the solid front end is very capable off road I have the 2 inch lift 31x10 sunraysa's (hope spelt write) wheels, cant get 33s on it without lifting it more but too many changes to go higher brake lines, tail shaft etc, but in general good old girl, just have to watch for oil sludging up in them were proned for it, but if you change the oil reguarly you shouldn't have any problems at least every 5k. Use pretty much on average 10L per100klm even with air on or loaded up doesnt seem to make any diff. Will sit on 100klm all day except up hills you'l be going back a couple of gogs to keep it on the ball as much as you can. No electronics to stuff up my has ome suspension all round dont need a kidney belt like some of them. My mate has the 2.7 navara diesel single cab, pretty well bullet proof has had problem with 5th gear but that was due to letting it labour up hills with a load on, people reckon the 2.8 is slow try a 2.7 slower than mine, lacks the wheel travel been ifs but he gives it a hard time (I mean hard) and he has had no major probs.On the flats stuff all differance in top speed but pulling up hills I always have the edge over his. He has had his 3 years now and is always taking it off road, he gets futher than me most times as I done want to go punching side panels where as he has a big solid metal /timber tray and has often lent it against a tree where as I'm not willing to dent the rear quarters for no reason, price wise you will always pay more for the toyota over nissan for the same age group. The navara does ride smoother due to the ifs. Best way is to drive both and see what you think.
AnswerID: 144676

Reply By: richopesto - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 16:00

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 16:00
Hey Tim,

As vitara says, hilux is reliable and parts a plenty but dont expect any magnificent onroad performance. I can idle, putt or flog my 2.8D either loaded or unloaded and I get around 9km/l, or for those arithmetically challenged, around 11 litres per 100km. this reliability of consumption is fantastic for judging fuel requirements, as it hardly varies despite the terrain.
Also, as noted, the simpler your donk the less likely you'll get ripped off at Wyndham or Birdsville Auto repairs. (no malice intended to either of these highly reputable workshops,- example use only of a remote geographic location)
Stretch your budget as far as you can, and as its a 4wd, look for good mechanics, dont worry too much about body, unless your the prissy type ;-)
Personally, I make my decision on the owner as much as the vehicle. If the owner is hesitant to let his 'baby' go, you can be pretty sure its not a lemon.
Also as mentioned, dont expect to get one next week. Try looking for a couple of months before deciding on anything. You can be sure your desires/needs/wants will change after speaking to a few owner/sellers.

cheers
c u on the road ! (cause If I dont were both in trouble)
richopesto
AnswerID: 144717

Reply By: F4Phantom - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 23:24

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 23:24
hey just some notes on my car. i chose the navara over hilux because i dont believe there is any real difference in relibility and all the rest, but there is definatly a market premium on the hilux. Anyway, if you want to split hairs to see any differences i would say the hilux in the end (dont like to admit it) would be more capable because of its live front axle. Power is about the same, you can get the Turbo nav which is really good. Fuel econ i dont know, i would say i avarage 10L per 100 and as the other guy said, driving style have very little effect on economy. ALso the IFS ability off road is a positive on the road. i find when the car has stock tyres & wheels it corners very well. Anyway in the end you would be happy with either as it's a decision out of two good cars.
AnswerID: 144790

Sponsored Links