New Patrol continued

Submitted: Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 21:09
ThreadID: 29003 Views:2126 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Well I picked up my new 3.0 Patrol (2005 model) on Friday and so far so good. The car drives like a dream and I am very happy with it so far. I know the 3.0 engine comes in for some rightly so bashing due to the earlier models problems. But the 3.0 engine is really a good engine, after stepping out of my 2.5 Td defender into the patrol is like going from banger into a luxury motor. I hope Nissan has fixed the problems but I will be changing the oil every 4500 miles, the recommended oil in the UK is 5W 30.

Already had some drama with driving the patrol but I will get onto that in a minute as I have a question. My last one done this as well so I am guessing it’s the same with them all, can someone confirm this? On some roads with very little slope (I think its called camber) the steering wheel is straight, but on roads with a heavy slope the steering wheel sits slightly to the left when going straight. Is this correct?

Well onto the drama, I had forgot how spongy the patrols brakes could be but I have been reminded very abruptly yesterday.

Was coming out of the Fort shopping centre in Glasgow and as usual the rain was bouncing off the road, the driving conditions were atrocious. But again as usual the As5holes were 10 cm from each other’s bumpers as they were coming off the M8 onto the M73 slip road. But I remember thinking to myself this looks wrong the whole situation looks wrong. Anyway there was a Rover 75 behind me very close as usual but as you all know we get a better view of the road ahead. I seen that all the cars were too close so I started to pull back and the as5shole in the rover pulled out and pulled in on front of me. At that very moment one car runs into the back of another then a third asshole runs into the second car. This all happened in a couple of seconds, then the idiot in the rover ploughs into the 5th car in the pile up. So I slammed my brake hard too the floor, but no way was I stopping in time, so instinct took over and I swerved onto the hard shoulder and managed to stop 2 cars after the rover. I could not believe what had just happened but I learnt a few valuable lessons. The first was that the patrol just couldn’t pull up quickly, so I am going to keep my distance in future. My previous patrol was the same but I was never put in a position like that before. Lesson learn, keep your distance !!

The second thing was, I just imagined the damage a patrol could do to a smaller car. I know it was not my fault this time, but imagine how you would feel if it was your fault and you hit a small car. I suppose we should drive something that size with a bit more responsibility.

But overall very happy with the car.

Scott
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 21:18

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 21:18
Congratulations scotcamp on your new car. Hope all is well.
You are dead right about the oil grade to use in your car and it is the same out here even though most use 15w/40. They obviously don't read their owners manual correctly. Nissan out here has changed and the preferred oil is now 10w/40 semi synthetic.
Do your self a favour and take out the nissan brake pads and throw them in the bin. Not sure what brands you use in the UK but I use Bendix 4wd on all customers 4bys here in Oz and the pedal improves dramatically. The nissan pads are fairly hard so a softer pad will pull it up better.
Well done
120scruiser
AnswerID: 144585

Reply By: desert - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 21:30

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 21:30
It's normal for some steering imput to counter road-camber, so all is OK. The Patrols brakes do feel dredful, but decerometer tests have shown that the GU consistantly out-stops the previous model, despite the weight gains. As for putting in softer pads, what the grease-monkeys don't tell you is you will be back a lot more times to them for replacement, and therefore another labour charge!
AnswerID: 144589

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:11

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:11
Why would you be paying labour to get brake pads changed!!! ARRGH,c'mon it's easier than changing oil and $40 for a pair of pads is cheap insurance in my mind. Don't know what GU pads are like but most cars it's a matter of one or two bolts and maybe a clip or two and a 5 min job per wheel, 20 mins and two beers your done mate! I also use Bendix 4wd.
FollowupID: 398151

Follow Up By: Exploder - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:17

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:17
Also you won’t where the rotors out as fast running a softer pad, As for pad replacement the last time my break pad’s were changed was 60,000k’s and it now has 130,000 on it Rotors have never been touched and don’t even look worn.
FollowupID: 398153

Follow Up By: desert - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:26

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:26
I'd have thought this would be obvious, but apparently not. People pay to have somebody work on their vehicle because they have no mechanical "bent" themselves, or ther're life styles are busy so that they do not have the time to do it themselves.
As for rotor life, just looking at them means diddly-squat. Rotors can look perfectly smooth and unmarked and still be undersize. The only safe way is to measure them correctly with vernier calipers to see if they are within manufacturers spec. You can bet your last dollar the police accident investigator will, if you are unlucky enough to end up in one!
FollowupID: 398187

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:07

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:07
a) You don't have to have "mechanical bent". I'm a graphic designer by trade!
b) I'll bet you a carton of bleep that if I took my car down the local mechanic or tyre place and got them to change the brake pads, I'd spend more time assing about and waiting for them than it would take me to do them at home after work. If you're so busy you can't spend 5 minutes a wheel to get better stopping power to protect yours and others families then maybe you need to re evaluate your lifestyle...
FollowupID: 398212

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 13:16

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 13:16
GU brake pads and rotors just don't seem to wear out. My 1998 GU now has 181000km on the clock and 'believe it or not' is still running the pads and discs it came with when new - but then again with a diesel you only use the brakes to stop on most occassion all the slowing down is done by the gearbox and engine.....stand fast automatics.
FollowupID: 398223

Follow Up By: desert - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 13:52

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 13:52
I don't know where this is going Jeff, but are you now saying that regardless of ones aptitude, or level of confidence, or background or lack of formal qualifications in automotive mechancs, one should change their own brake pads?
FollowupID: 398232

Reply By: dieselup - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:14

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:14
Hope it goes well for you Scott
It's five years newer than the one I just unloaded with the engine problems, all the bugs should be sorted out by now, being from the old school the electronics still worry me though
The 5w30 oil is interesting, tolerances in those engines must be tight, that oil would be nearly as thin as fuel when it's hot
Ithink I'd be oil changing at 3000 miles (roughly 5000k) thats what was in the GU handbook I had
AnswerID: 144603

Follow Up By: Exploder - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:25

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:25
Colder climate would be why.
The recommended oil in the Engine in My Explorer until mid this year was 5W30 as well.(And yes it is Bloody thin.) Have read of people in the US using 0W30 with the Explore V6 engine from new and they have now got up to 170,000 on them and engine is not using any Oil, using 0W30!!!.
FollowupID: 398157

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:11

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:11
The previous advice is sound,replace the pads with Bendix and braking much improved.
The wear rate increase is minimal compared to improved performance.
Regards
AnswerID: 144639

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:41

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:41
Hi Scott
Congrats on the new vehicle.

Maybe the experts on the forum call answer this question and help you as well. Owned a 3lt Patrol and found the brakes were slower to stop than I expected, changed over to a GU Ute with a heavy camper on the back, brakes were fantastic, are the brake pads different on the Utes.

The New vehicle (pictured) has a 3lt diesel, but a much large turbo and intercooler than the Nissan, would have loved this engine in the Patrol plus fantastic brakes

Ray
AnswerID: 144650

Sponsored Links