..where does it end!!

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:33
ThreadID: 28839 Views:3157 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, Over the past few months my wife and have been contemplating our next trip. 'Do we go to the Kimberely- do the Gibb River, explore the top end?, do we do our Tassie trip- spend a month travelling around. In the end we have decided to go to Birdsville, up the Bs'ville Track and back via the Strzelecki Track. On the way taking in the sights and adventures of Lake Frome, Moro Gorge etc, etc.
As for myself I have been into bikes and 4x4's for many years but my wife has only just become interested, interested enough to do a 4x4 course and pass, if we're away Sal has to be comfortable enough to get us out if anything happens, this has nothing to do with the question I want to pose! but it gives you an idea where I'm coming from.
When if ever do I stop adding to my vehicles accessories= weight, you know, I think I have everything we need( and more if the truth be known). My wife knows how to use it all, winch, snatch-m- straps, high-lift jack, compressor, knows how to hitch the camper up. But when do I stop buying " Sal", 'can we get a set of side rails and steps' ' Yeah ok as long as we need them', so the story goes. But the next day she poses the question 'when are we going to stop buying........hmmmm?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:39

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:39
Andy, When do you stop buying toys? Never if I can help it. There is always an improved, bigger, better, newer, upgraded must have doo-flicky thing that you simply must have. When did Sal ever agree to stop buying that new dress/shoes/slacks/top etc etc that she didn't need but just had to have them cos they're on special or I don't have a thing to wear.
AnswerID: 143658

Follow Up By: Member - Andy Q (VIC) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:55

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:55
Dear Des,
I need to say that I buy all my clothes at Op shops so as Andy can buy all his (our!) stuff new. I enjoy the hunt anyway and you boys do need your toys.
sally
FollowupID: 397159

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:10

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:10
Hi Sally and Andy,

My dear bride would say something like that! BUT she wouldn't know an op shop if it ran over her. We are currently having a similar discussion where her position is earings and mine is fishing gear.

You can take all the gear you like and really a lot of it you will never use (well the journey starts out with that in mind anyway). You'll come home and wonder why you took this or that BUT it is very satisfying when you dig out whatever you need on the moment and get yourself out of a pickle.

Sure it is double edge sword with the money and weight etc and the convenience of continuing the journey. Last trip I used 5 straps and the bride said she didn't even know I had so many with me let along that we were storing these instead of more clothing.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 397172

Reply By: Member - Andy Q (VIC) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:47

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:47
I just read Andy's Question. I am his wife Sally and what I am really worried about is the weight. Many of the items are quite heavy on their own, so how many bits can you add before the car struggles to get out of our driveway!!!! Is there a limit , if so tell me so as I have some ammunition to stop the accessorising.
Thanks , maybe some partners out there can help..
AnswerID: 143660

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:38

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:38
Answer is easy.. when you have bought everything to a point your car can't get out the drive way... GREAT.. now buy a new bigger car so you can buy more stuff...

I started with a Scooby Doo.. (Subaru Outback) then a 2.8 Gu, now have a 4.2 2005 GU.. when it's over loaded I'll buy a camper trailer.. when thats too heavy.. I'll be a grey nomad and I can get away with driving an "RV / Camper van" and tow a SWB 4WD of some type..

hehe hehe... let the fun never stop...
FollowupID: 397178

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:13

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:13
Sally,
My previous reply may have had a teeny weeny itsy bitsy bit of toungue in cheek. My old boiler (she doesn't read EO) is an op shop fanatic but the vehicle full of junk doesn't stop her.
We travel self contained within our vehicle with a roof top camper and everthing is stored at an as need basis as space is at a premium.
We usually travel away for extended trips and over the years, things have evolved. If I take something away and for two trips it doesn't get used, next time it gets left behind. (except for first aid kit and recovery gear) We don't cart a dunny or a shower tent (Side of camper doubles as shower curtain) and if something has a dual purpose that is even better. Plenty of bushes for a dunny besides they don't stink.
We also have a scoobydoo Outback and going away in that for an extended trip could be a challenge.
I don't have a winch or diff lockers or lots of other gadgetry but we always get where we want to go. You don't have to climb up the side of a sheer mountain to get there as there is often an alternative route. I guess the testosterone levels have diminished over the years.
Set up your rig to how it suits you as you atre the ones who use it for what you enjoy.
Cheers
Desmond
FollowupID: 397188

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:13

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:13
Andy & Sally,

if you have the basics, then STOP NOW.

Most of the places we all travel to are not all that out of the way and if you get stuck because you haven't got a winch, or a tree trunk protector, or a left handed wheel brace, then someone will come along in the not too distant future to help you out of trouble. (This is a good time to have the backup of say a rented Sat phone for that special trip)

When travelling in remote areas, it is more common to travel in convoys, anything from two to whatever vehicles. So you always have help on hand anyway.

When you are talking the Birdsville or Strzelecki tracks, you are almost talking "highways" and even alternate routes such as Walkers Crossing instead of the more common Cordillo Downs route, there is always vehicles travelling either behind you, or coming the other way. (strongly recommend Walkers Crossing)

Once you have the basics, stop and take stock for a while. Then, if you determine in the type of travelling you do, you really require a power winch, or even a hand winch (I have neither) then buy one at that time.

You do have the right perception. You don't need everything. Perhaps another travelling companion has something you don't, (maybe a portable dunny) while you have a bush shower when they don't. All part of Exploring Oz.

Above all else, just make sure you have enough of the necessary beverages to get you through the extra day or two's delay.

Have a good one.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 143664

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:47

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:47
Two swags, food and water and a HJ60. Ahhhh...bliss. And when (if) you finally return home, you'll have saved a fortune and still had fun :))))))))))
AnswerID: 143669

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:51

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:51
Above all you must leave room for a couple (dozen) good reds!!!!
AnswerID: 143679

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 18:23

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 18:23
I'm with you Ross. I see you have a van, so a bit more space. Surprising the nooks and crannies in a 4B and CT though. I carry red wine for medicinal purposes only of course. Being a health issue, you just have to find the space.
FollowupID: 397194

Follow Up By: Member - Bware - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:23

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:23
Absolutely! If you can't fit the red in you need to reassess what you're taking; the wife has a good set of lungs so we can ditch that mattress inflator! LOL
FollowupID: 397206

Follow Up By: Member - Bware - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:00

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:00
But seriously, you just need to be realistic. We don't go on journeys travelling at dusk,dawn or through the night so the chances of hitting roos or livestock are minimal so we don't have a bullbar or spotlights. No towbar, sidesteps etc. We have loads of camping gear because we don't 'tour', we camp for extended periods. Basic recovery gear; snatch strap, shovel, air compressor, tools. We have bar racks for the canoe and tent poles etc and that's it!
FollowupID: 397216

Follow Up By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 08:38

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 08:38
The van provides a degree of comfort, but we like to explore so we often leave the van go on to those more inaccesble places. Problem is you need to carry all the recovery gear and camping gear as well as tow the van. While the van is suppossed to bean "off-road" unit , you just can't comfortably tow it where you can a decent CT. It's all a compromise I suppose. EXCEPT a glass of red as you and the wife the sun go down in a quiet seclude camp spot and as the roast cooks in the Cobb.
FollowupID: 397262

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:58

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:58
Did you ever stop to think that if we didn't take half the stuff with us on these trips then we'd never need the other half that we took to get us out of trouble we got in because of the weight of the first half??

AnswerID: 143695

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:48

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:48
When you run out of money....lol
AnswerID: 143737

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:56

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:56
Why let that stop you hahaha?
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 397226

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:12

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:12
what is the basic
camping
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 143744

Sponsored Links