road trip

Submitted: Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 18:57
ThreadID: 28811 Views:1626 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just looking for some info on the dirt road from port macquarie over the ferry and
up to cresent head
thanks in advance ken.8
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:16

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:16
ken.8,

It is still there, can be overgrown sometimes but otherwise OK for 4b's. If you don't mind driving on the beach I think this would be the better option. Otherwise the Maria River Road is another option to look into as this is a much better "maintained" dirt road (I say maintained loosely) that still leads to Crescent Head.

Hope this helps Trevor.
AnswerID: 143516

Follow Up By: cruiser - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:31

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:31
I live in Port Macquarie and have never seen the old sand mining road overgrown.

It is used far to much for it to even get a chance to overgrow.

The beach is an option, however, be aware that you need a council permit to drive on the beach, and it is very well policed by the council rangers. The permits are $21 from Hastings Council offices at Port Macquarie, Wauchope and Laurieton, Port Macquarie Visitor Information Centre: Cnr Hay and Clarences Sts, Port Macquarie, Dunbogan , boatshed: 46 The Boulevarde, Dunbogan, Kew Visitor Information Centre: Pacific Highway, Kew

Access Points
The following locations are beach access points within the Hastings area:

Point Plomer at northern end of North Beach
North Beach at intersection of Plomer Road and North Shore Drive
Lighthouse Beach at southern end of Matthew Finders Drive
Lake Cathie, east of Dirah Street and Middle Rock Road
Grants Beach, north of North Haven
Dunbogan Garbage Tip Road

In all honesty, if you are not into beach driving and you have a maintained 4WD, then the old mining road from the north shore to Point Plomer is fine.

It can have some sandy patches and has some areas where there are some decent rocks and other areas where a small 4WD could dissappear (and at times all of those conditions) Just take it easy, keep an eye out for other drivers (there are some ratbags on this road over the holiday period) and you will be OK.
FollowupID: 397014

Follow Up By: ken.8 - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:51

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:51
thanks cruiser
I'm going up to delicate with a std trailer/camping with the kids and the kitchen sink I have a x-trail don't yell ,the highway may be longer but quicker(is it deep sandy patchs?)Probing deeper
thanks ken.8
FollowupID: 397016

Follow Up By: cruiser - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 20:18

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 20:18
Ken.8,

If you want quick and safe, go the highway to Kempsey/Crescent Head and Delicate

If you want the experience, then go Port Macquarie/North Shore/Delicate

If you want a mix of the 2, go Port Macquarie/North Shore/Maria River Rd to Crescent Head and Delicate

If your trailer is stock standard and I assume has 13/14" wheels, then clearance could be a problem on the old mining road.

At the end of the day, I suppose the choice is yours depending on your expectations.
FollowupID: 397019

Reply By: ken.8 - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 20:27

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 20:27
thanks cruiser
probably go hiwy then have look without the trailer for
the return
cheers thanks for your help ken.8
AnswerID: 143537

Sponsored Links