Right or Wrong

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 19:51
ThreadID: 148909 Views:835 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
Is it right or wrong to go and rescue someone who is bogged clearly were they shouldn't have been? Is it right or wrong for more people to go and rescue the rescuer when they get bogged? All without official permission.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 20:01

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 20:01
I don't think it is ever "wrong" to help someone in strife. You can only point out the problem and hope they learn.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646708

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 20:26

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 20:26
A gas worker got bogged on a closed road near Camerons Corner earlier this and the local cop told us to not go and rescue him.
FollowupID: 927439

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 20:30

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 20:30
I guess you follow the police directions ......... but I'd be asking why .

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 927440

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:09

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:09
I would be wary of helping somebody in the resources industry beyond lending the driver a shovel.

I can't begin to imagine the paperwork involved if the recovery went awry and something got damaged.

I'm sure those companies have their own protocols and unless it was life threatening situation I'd say they are best left to themselves

Cheers

FollowupID: 927441

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:09

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:09
You do know it is illegal to drive on a closed road.
FollowupID: 927442

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:15

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:15
So, if it's a closed road , I wouldn't be there , so no issue. Wouldn't know if there was anybody there in trouble or not.
My initial response was what I have done in the past , with some people who have driven off the road for some reason , and got bogged.
Not illegal maybe , but stupid.
So, Ivan , are you having a Sunday stir ????????
Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 927443

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:46

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:46
The road we were on was open. We were sitting in Cameron Corner and he was bogged on the Cameron Corner road towards Omicron
FollowupID: 927444

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:49

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 21:49
Jim, I would follow the Police instructions.

When we used to go regularly across the Simpson, we got to know personally the local Policeman in Birdsville.

One time when we were heading out into the desert, it had been very wet, and spoke to our friendly policeman. He advised us that if we came across two Troopy's with French drivers, not to help them if they were bogged.

The Police knew they wanted to head out, but told them they were not to head off, as the desert was closed because of the water, but they headed out around 2am in the morning knowing that they would not be caught.

On another occasion in the Simpson and over the HF Radio, we were monitoring a request for help, again they were bogged and a couple of calls came in offering to help.

All of a sudden the local cop from Birdsville chimed in advising all parties that they were not to go out and help. There was a very short conversation between the person bogged and the police, and basically the cop said, you were advised not to go out into the desert, I know you have ample supples and we will discuss this more in 4 days when I come to recover you.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 927445

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 20:55

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 20:55
It's up to the individual to make that call if they want to go where they shouldn't be.
AnswerID: 646709

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 08:21

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 08:21
Good question/subject.
So many different scenarios!
Years ago 3 of us on dirt bikes came across a guy in Port Lincoln national park , bogged in sand less than 100 metres off the hard road. We checked it out and asked him the usual questions, “had he dropped his pressures etc” (we had come across his partner and a kid or 2 walking ,she had advised us she had got phone reception and called help)
We were pretty confident we could have got the vehicle out (we had a lot of sand experience) but decided he knew better ……..and left him to it!
He certainly wasn’t in any danger, if I thought someone was in potential danger I would definitely try to help.
AnswerID: 646710

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 10:12

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 10:12
'We were pretty confident we could have got the vehicle out (we had a lot of sand experience) but decided he knew better ……..and left him to it!"

If someone has called for help, they should be there to pay for the callout when the assistance arrives.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 927447

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 08:39

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 08:39
The rescuer who comes across the bogged vehicle shouldn't have been there either, it seems.

What is the reason this question is being asked? Maybe we should all do the right thing and let them die there. That shows responsible actions, surely!
AnswerID: 646711

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 09:12

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 09:12
I dont care what the situation is...if someone needs help..you help!!! So many of the entitled ones who only look out for themselves seem to be everywhere...of course if they needed help they scream out for it quicksmart. If you cant help a fellow traveller, regardless of the situation, (to a certain degree) your a miserable barsteward!!!
AnswerID: 646712

Reply By: Mikee5 - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 09:51

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 09:51
Many years ago we were chilling under the casuarinas on the eastern beach on Fraser Island waiting for the tide to drop when a guy came powering along through the soft sand. He got bogged not far from us. We watched. He eventually came up to us to ask for a tow or snatch. I asked him if he had a tow rope or snatch strap. He had no recovery gear. I told him that unfortunately I didn’t either (not true of course). So we kept chilling and watching. Finally someone else recovered him. When the tide dropped to a comfortable level we journeyed on.
AnswerID: 646713

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 10:11

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 10:11
Don't think there's to many people on this site that would make the same decision.
Dave.
FollowupID: 927446

Follow Up By: Mikee5 - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 11:11

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 11:11
IMHO it was stupid to attempt the beach at high tide. I would have helped when the beach was safe to travel. Apparently there are plenty of people who think they are more important than tides.
FollowupID: 927448

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 20:06

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 20:06
Agree. There’s no need to flog more cars saving a car that shouldn’t have been there unless it’s going to get wet and you have the chance to save it. Otherwise a bit of time spent pondering ones decisions is always a great teacher.
The worst is when you know a car is already lost and people are begging you to help. The two French guys at Rainbow beach last week. One made it, the other got stuck, the first went back to help and they lost both cars. I have left someone’s car in the lagoon at rainbow because I wasn’t about to put mine in saltwater. Theirs was a write off, they just hadn’t yet accepted the fact.
FollowupID: 927454

Reply By: axle - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 10:37

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 10:37
Buy a land rover and you won't get bogged.!...LOL.(now hiding around the back of the shed with a tin hat on.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 646714

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 13:37

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 13:37
Landrovers don't get bogged Axle, they just fail to proceed. Rover agents comment when a group had a bit of
trouble crossing the Sahara while on a Demo of a new model.
Dave.
FollowupID: 927449

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 19:28

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 19:28
Really it is up to you but you need to consider all aspects. If going to their aid and they aren't in any
real danger and you will be breaking the law in doing so then consider you vehicle insurance cover as all
all my vehicle insureance policy state if your vehicle is damaged whilst you are engaging in an illegal act the policy become null and void so this aspect is worth considering.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646716

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 20:29

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 20:29
I reckon if someone is bogged where they shouldn't be then it isn't wise to risk yourself also being bogged where you shouldn't be either. The best course of action is to notify whoever the person wants notified and alert the relevant authorities. If anything life threatening is afoot then set off your emergency beacon.
AnswerID: 646717

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2024 at 08:07

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2024 at 08:07
My two cents worth.

This is a very perplexing question. If the person who is stuck should not have been there in the first place, then they deserve to have the “full force of the law” applied to them. If it is a life threatening situation that is time critical, and you are closer than the “authorities”, and know you can actually help, that is when your decision becomes more difficult. Seeking advice from the authorities might be a good idea if time permits, but may not always be possible.

I have never been in this position, and I honestly do not know how I would react in this situation. Do I risk my own life or vehicle and suffer the consequences of a possible prosecution? Or do I stay in contact with the stranded party and wait for the authorities?

I think time critical life threatening situations call for an immediate response, but I think making sure the authorities are aware of the time critical life threatening situation before “plunging in” would be the way I would go.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 646719

Sponsored Links