Walkers Crossing is open. Or is it?

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 16:18
ThreadID: 148865 Views:907 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
Recently while sitting in the Innaminka pub talking to a local, he mention that Walkers Crossing was open. He said the ranger was in the day before and they had decided to open the track. We checked on the board out the front of the shop and it was listed as Open for 4wd. So we decided to give it a crack and it was not a bad drive. Now when we got to the Birdsville track we were greeted with a row of white and star posts across the track and a Road Closed sign.
When we got to Birdsville I messaged the guy I had spoken to with my findings and a track report. He message me back saying he had spoken to the station manager and they were no happy with it being open. I was told that legally I could use the PAR but I got the feeling if we got into trouble on it we wouldn't get any help from the station.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 3

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Friday, Oct 18, 2024 at 19:56

Friday, Oct 18, 2024 at 19:56
6 of us recently did a loop from Adelaide etc to Birdsville and innamincka on motorcycles . We spoke to a few people in Birdsville about the Cordillo downs road (including the policeman) and were told it was very rough “take it easy “ etc . Most of it had just been graded! So much for local knowledge! I have found this to be quite common in my travels. Can’t get reliable information on road conditions. So most of the time you’ve gotta just have a go!
AnswerID: 646700

Reply By: Member - FLNGO - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 07:49

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 07:49
This SA Gov website indicates it is closed.
https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads/outback_road_warnings/special_notices

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646701

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 12:48

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 12:48
We did Walkers a week ago and a lot has happened since I posted this. They just had shitloads of rain.
FollowupID: 927429

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 13:43

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 13:43
Whatever just happened here? Half a dozen posts in this Thread just vanished without a word being said. Is this the new Moderation policy recently announced? Has an AI app taken over the moderation role? Be nice to know.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646705

Follow Up By: Kenell - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 16:56

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 16:56
Allan
I suspect the first response to Ivan's question was spam as others have suggested. The posts that followed ie yours and my own and possibly others that referred to fnaf and spam made no sense once the spam post was removed. Don't think its anything more synical than that. ALTHOUGH it maybe because the moderators don't want people following your irresponsible attitude ie not carrying fnaf when travelling remotely !!

Ken
FollowupID: 927450

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2024 at 08:14

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2024 at 08:14
Allan and Kenell,

I was one who pointed out the “Spam” responses, and I agree with Ken that the spam post and any replies to it should have been removed. However, I would have thought a note regarding the removal of the spam post would have been a good idea. Keeps people in the loop. Blocking the “spammers” whilst stopping that particular individual does not guarantee they will not use another name to keep “spamming”.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 927455

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 17:10

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 17:10
FNAF ....... please enlighten me.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 646715

Follow Up By: Member - William B - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 17:37

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 17:37
It was a trolling post that when you clicked on fnaf took you to a dodgy website .
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 927451

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 17:39

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 17:39
Thanks, Yes I saw it.

But what does fnaf mean?
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 927452

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 19:12

Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 19:12
'But what does fnaf mean?" - It's a commercial games site. I reported it and it went fairly quickly. It is the income from advertising that pays for the cost of running the website, thus the management do not like freeloaders using the site whilst others are paying for their advertising. I have reported a few lately attempting to muscle in on some free advertising. . The attempts get squashed fairly quickly and any followups to their messages disappear with them.

We used to use the Alert Moderator button to report this rogue activity, but that button has been removed. The way we report things now is explained in - Forum Change Coming. If any of you detect rogues attempting to muscle in for some free advertising or any other malicious activity, you too can also help nip things in the bud by reporting the activity.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 927453

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2024 at 10:54

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2024 at 10:54
Hi Cuppa,

The sneaky hyperlink "fnaf" referred to a website for an online game called "Five Nights at Freddy's".
The person posting that link may, or may not, have received a benefit as a result of people clicking o the link.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 927456

Sponsored Links