Gawler Ranges National Park in a motorhome - road conditions

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 16, 2023 at 19:19
ThreadID: 145537 Views:2338 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all - we are travelling to the SA west coast in the next week or so, and considering at spending a few nights in the Gawler Ranges National Park. We'd be coming in from Kimba, staying a few nights at Waganny campgound, then leaving on the road to Minnipa, so basically just driving the Old Paney Scenic Route. We have a motorhome, so rear wheel drive with reasonable ground clearance, but quite a long rear overhang & poor ramp-over.
The park's website says this road is suitable for "high clearance 2WD". Has anyone here been on this road (preferably recently), and can provide some info on the condition? Happy to drive on reasonable dirt roads, can live with some corrugations, but will struggle if there are any creek crossings or silmilar that will drag our overhang.
We have a scooter to get around once we are in the park, the motorhome will only drive the scenic route road and into the campground.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 16, 2023 at 20:50

Sunday, Apr 16, 2023 at 20:50
I can not recall anything that would bother you too much. Just check that it has dried out because all the roads there are closed at the moment, but it should be OK in a week.
https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads/outback_road_warnings
We got caught in there in 2018 when it rained.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643335

Follow Up By: Doc - Monday, Apr 17, 2023 at 17:34

Monday, Apr 17, 2023 at 17:34
Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. I think we'll go if the weather looks good.
FollowupID: 922985

Reply By: Steven G1 - Monday, Apr 17, 2023 at 21:19

Monday, Apr 17, 2023 at 21:19
Hi Doc,

we travelled up from Minnipa to Yandinga Camp Ground in March 2020. I know it's not recent but we found that the road in was very good, however, once we got to the boundary/into the national park the corrugations were horrendous. we lowered our off road van tyres but it was still a very bumper ride. It has been 3 years so I really hope they would have graded it by now.
Hope to go again one day as we only stayed a very short time due to closures to borders. If I'd known then what I know now we would have stayed.

Cheers and enjoy.

AnswerID: 643340

Follow Up By: Doc - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2023 at 17:16

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2023 at 17:16
Thanks for that Stephen.
FollowupID: 922991

Sponsored Links