Accommodation above snow line

Submitted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 08:56
ThreadID: 102070 Views:2604 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for accommodation, preferably in Victoria and as near as possible to Melbourne that is away from ski fields that is in a small town or isolated and at a fairly high altitude and with a good chance of snow on a good ( bad!) day. Something like a cabin. I am swamped with ski accommodation in google which is the last thing I want.

Does anyone know of nice quite cabin / holiday home style accommodation that regularly sees snow in winter?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Candace S. - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 12:57

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 12:57
LOL, I'm not near Melbourne but my home is definitely above the snow line in winter! I can't wait to retire and move someplace where I don't have to deal with it. But it's good for me to be reminded I also found it lovely....until I got tired of dealing with it every day. ;)

Of course, maybe it was actually the -15 C and lower temperatures I was fed up with!

Maybe we could swap places: you could come here and enjoy the snow, and I'll go to Oz and warm up!

AnswerID: 510509

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 00:20

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 00:20
Take a look at Dinner Plain pure high country

This the closest I can think of that fits some of your requirements. It is between Omeo and Hotham. A variety of accommodation and budgets away from the ski resort, walking/snowshoe/sled dog trails, bush setting, access through national park.

There are some other places toward Falls Creek, Selwyn (Vic), Buller, Buffalo.

Mount Baw Baw is a smaller/quieter resort with accommodation enroute in Tanjil Bren and Noojee but it is lower in altitude.

Lower altitude towns close to the snowline include Walhalla, Bright, Mt Beauty, Harrietville, Omeo, Mitta Mitta, Benambra, Merrijig, Howqua, Jamieson, Woods Point, Dargo, Licola, etc. When you use google maps, zoom in close (200m or closer) and check "labels" in the top right corner menu under "map" and "photos". You will see some of the other accommodation options in the smaller mountain towns including BnBs, farmstays, cabins and chalets and you move around the area.

Check these 2 places, I was looking at them earlier this year for a quite and remote base for spring snowshoeing next year.
Glen Wills Mountain Retreat
Paynes Hut

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510553

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 06:08

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 06:08
Thanks Terra'Mer, at 1000m Glen Willis looks interesting, it is still a bit low but looks nice.

The others are all below 700m and may see snow once a year or so except Dinner Plain which is pretty but too busy for what I am looking for.

Thanks

FollowupID: 788630

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 12:51

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 12:51
We try to avoid the cabins BooBook so its easy but the road to Woods Point via Matlock averages 1000m + and has some accomodation and has been popular with 4wdrivers.
Definately snow around and on nearby hills to.

Can't remember name "The Oats / Springs / Triangle "

Maybe someone else can fill in the gaps in my suggestion.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 510576

Sponsored Links