Maxtrax Users Is it 2 or 4?

Submitted: Friday, Dec 14, 2012 at 21:25
ThreadID: 99485 Views:10890 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Following the recent thread on recovery gear if you come down on the side of Maxtrax or their competitors do you buy 2 or 4 for efficiency?

Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 08:40

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 08:40
Because weight and storage space are not limitless parameters we keep them in mind when purchasing gear that is in the car nearly all the time and especially for long trips. As well we tend not to go to or put ourselves in extreme situations where an extreme recovery is required.

Hence we are banking on only two maxtraxs being enough in conjuntion with other recovery stuff that we carry.

Phil
AnswerID: 500382

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 09:17

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 09:17
Hi Ross

I have heard that they often come on special from various stores, so look around for the best deal.

We carry one set, as we do a lot of solo work. Am I happy with their performance......, I sure am. Could I have had 4 rather than 2...........YES

It is times like this when solo that you need all the help you can get....

Storage wise, they take up no more space for 4 as they do for 2, so that will never be an issue. If I had my time again, I would have looked around for the 4 set, but then I had no consumer choice, they were only ever sold as a 2 unit purchase for around $320.

You will find that the only people that say they are a waste of money are the ones that are the first to ask to borrow yours when they need help.

They are a fantastic piece of recovery gear and we never leave home without them on the roof.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 500387

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 10:42

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 10:42
Like Stephen, I would think 4 would be twice as good as 2 but also twice the cost and twice the weight. Maybe not much extra weight but every kg counts, especially in boggy conditions. They are certainly less weight (and less cost) than a winch and I cannot imagine how Stephen would be able to use a winch in the photos above.

Haven't needed to use them yet on my vehicle and hope I don't encounter Stephen's mud bog, but have loaned them a couple of times to others bogged in sand on Fraser Island where they worked very effectively.

Went for a "Sunday drive" last year and was directed down a track in the Conondale NP that "all the locals use as a shortcut". Had no recovery gear on board and was amazed that we got through the muddy logging track safely. Now, like Stephen, we never leave home without them.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 776444

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 10:52

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 10:52
Sorry Ross, I didn't address your question. Two would be a great help but four to be sure, to be sure, as my mate Paddy would say.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 776445

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 15:16

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 15:16
Hi Allan

We have been across the claypan countless times over the years and knew what the conditions would be like and the detour that would have added around an hour to get to Peoppel Corner. Fiona wanted a lunch break, but I said we are only 5 minutes to Peoppel Corner, we will have it there...............WRONG!!!!!!!!!

The track to the far left looked quite solid, so we headed out to the left with a small soft section around 300 metre from solid ground. At this soft section, there was a small boggy section in the track that would have been no trouble, but other vehicles before we came through decided to go to the right and then directly into that very nice boggy section that I wanted to keep well clear of. Well, you know what mud is like and the moment that we hit the section, I had no control of the vehicle and where it wanted to go, and I was just railroaded and the car just followed the tracks to the right.

I then knew immediately that it was now a very serious situation, and try as I did to get back to the left track the car just wanted to go straight into the bog. I immediately put it back to second and put it flat to the floor and I was getting further into the bog and at one stage I even thought that I might get through. Clearance was now my enemy and the diff was now leaving a very deep rut in the mud. 20 metres from more solid ground and it was out of puff and down it went....' bleep ' were the kind words.

I tried to go forward, but the vehicle was now a very big anchor, so out with the shovel, and that mud was hopeless. I was slowly getting the length of the Maxtrax backwards, but the moment that I was clear of them, down I would go down again. At our pace of recovery, I could have made it out by ourselves, but I planned on taking around 6 or more hours to get out, meaning carrying our swag and cooking gear to the outer side for a camp that night.

A vehicle at the edge of the lake stopped, so I got on the UHF and asked for help, which he greatly offered. Two and a half hours later, Fiona finally got to have here lunch break at Peoppel Corner.

As for having a winch, this was the view looking to the other end of the Lake, still over 600 metres away, so there was no sold point that I could have used if I did have a winch (apart from digging a deep hole and using the spare as a anchor point)

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 776458

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 16:26

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 16:26
That was a great photo titled I always prefer a sand bog.

Also like the recovery clothes - I have sort of given up on overalls and keep a pair of worn out shorts and shirt in a plastic bag these days with understanding that they can just be thrown out - keeps the wife happy.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 776464

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 16:34

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 16:34
Yes Stephen, MaxTrax are great but there comes a point............!!!
That's why I also carry a snatch strap plus a winch extension strap.
I'll relate my Subaru bog story when I see you!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 776465

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 18:06

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 18:06
Hi Robin and Allan

Yes don't you just love those nice mud bogs. The only picture that I do not have is the foot ware that I then drove to Peoppel Corner in........those good old plastic supermarket bags, one size fits all size feet....LOL well at least they kept most of the mud out of the car. Like I said Robin, give me a sand bog any day, at least it is a clean recovery, you can lay on yours side by the car to clear sand from the diff and under carriage of the car, as well as easy clearing of sand from the tyre area.

Allan, I always carry also 2 snatch straps as well as an equalising strap, as well as very well rates shackles. One picture that Fiona took, but the impact would not be shown on the forum was the mud and bog was deeper than the running sideboards on the Prado, so that will give you some idea of just how deep the mud was. When I first tried to get out, my driver side door had to clear a path through the mud first so I could get out.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 776471

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 09:20

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 09:20
G'day Ross,

I have one pair of Maxtrax mk2, and these are enough to get me out of very soft sand on beaches if I am solo and get stuck.
Have also had to use them to recover others, in conjunction with snatching, some beaches / dunes have been that bad.

Haven't had to use them in mud, but think they'd work the same, just a bit dirtier !

Perhaps if I was going to invest in another pair of such devices, I might opt for the 800mm Treds, now being seen in a lot of auto shop catalogues at more reasonable prices . . . also available in 1100mm, but I think 800 would do the trick.

Always use low range with these traction devices, far easier driving out on them, and less potential for damage.
AnswerID: 500389

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 16:53

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 16:53
I have the sand ladders for several months now only used them for others. I would not buy 4 even thoughmine were less than 1/2 the price of MT, you can only carry so much, but each have their own balance, depends on what u feel comfortable with
AnswerID: 500419

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 16, 2012 at 08:56

Sunday, Dec 16, 2012 at 08:56
Thank you for all your thoughtful replies. For the record I think I will stick with two when not towing but four if I get around to replacing my camper.
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 500458

Sponsored Links