Semi flexible Mono <span class="highlight">solar</span> panels?

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 14:17
ThreadID: 98883 Views:8740 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Recently on Evilbay I've seen some semi flexible Aluminium backed 120W (claimed) Mono Crystalline soar panels for sale.
Semi Flexible Solar Panel.
For me the weight of the panels at 4 Kgs vs around 15 Kg for standard type solar panels is attractive as I'm trying to minimise weight where I can while modifying my caravan.
For those of you that have experience in solar panels. Do the sellers claims sound feasible?
EG: the panel size of 1080mm X 570mm X 2.5mm thick does that sound about right for 120W?
Any thoughts by those that know would be appreciated.
Regards Andrew.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 16:17

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 16:17
Hi awill

Sounds somewhere near the mark
Our panels (Fixed" and 130 watt are:
Diamensions (mm) 1482 x 676 x 35
Weight (kg) 12

And ours have a 24 month warranty

And remember the wattage output has many variables, like sun angle, dirt/dust on front
and cable size and run.

Regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 498031

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2012 at 11:10

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2012 at 11:10
Hi Andrew

Got one of those 3 years ago and stuck it to the roof of our manual 4800 Patrol so that it keeps profile low as well as weight low.

Its off at moment -but will soon go on our auto 4800 patrol.

They are only plastic covered - no glass - and they do mold a bit -and probably scratch more but ours hasn't.

The only issue I had was that the aluminium expands on hot days so mounting needs to take this into account.

Its in Knox if you wish to have a look see.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 498080

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2012 at 22:25

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2012 at 22:25
So they seem to work ok Robin?
I like the idea of low weight and profile as with the mods I've done to the van it only just fits under the carport now and being a poptop I'd like to keep the weight to a minimum up there.
How much expansion were you experiencing Robin? and was it buckling the panel when it did?
How do you think they would go as a portable solar unit? I'm thinking of one fixed on the roof of the van and one portable so I can move it around to get the best benefit.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 774065

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Nov 08, 2012 at 08:35

Thursday, Nov 08, 2012 at 08:35
120w is at the top end of performance Andrew in practise you won't get that much.

In my case I used silicon to stick it to the car roof with a seam of silicon right around it.
Note - my mounting method was not enough to heatsink the panel to the roof and hence it operated at high temperature most of the time.
After a few hot days you could see that the silicon seam had broken so the movement must have been 3 or 4mm.
This did not physically warp or damage the panel but it let water get in between the roof and panel.

The Patrols have rust resistant steel and no rust formed but I suspect it would have over time. I had it on for 3 years.

I did have some trouble towards the end with an intermittant cell which I attributed to excessive heat reducing the output power.

The sucess of the panel will depend on its installation and it will need either airflow under it or flat fixing that will carry some heat away and not void any warranty.

They used to have different sizes - I like the concept and if I do it again I would get smaller panels and minimize the expansion issue.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 774078

Follow Up By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Thursday, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:12

Thursday, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:12
I agree with Robin on all he has said.

Heat will play a big part in reducing your output and air space under the panels will really help.

There is a really great article on this site regarding Solar and the pitfalls associated with panels., wire size, installations etc and there is some interesting comment in relation to heat as well.

See the link:
http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Electrics/Solar.aspx?s=solar

Have a read and see what it has to say

Regards

Geoff

FollowupID: 774093

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Nov 09, 2012 at 14:53

Friday, Nov 09, 2012 at 14:53
Andrew,

There was some discussion on the Campertrailer website, a few weeks back, about the flexy panels fitted to Track Topaz 'vans. One owner was having battery dramas, while others said they had no problems. Think the Topaz panels are only about 95 watt?

There was also some discussion on panels being flat on the roof, and the decrease in performance, in this permanent position.

We recently had some panels fitted to the roof of my shed, and I was, quite naively, thinking I'd be getting "heaps" of power, to offset our power bill. Last bill was under $100, but the heaps of power is restricted to no more than 4 hours of Peak Sun/day. And we live in western Qld!

Re the purchase of 2 panels, I'd buy a flexy one for the roof, but get a "solid" one for extra power.
Wonder how heatsink compound would go, to mount the panel, and prevent the problems that Robin had? Jaycar also sell thermal transfer tape, as well as 2 types of compound.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 498208

Reply By: awill4x4 - Friday, Nov 09, 2012 at 18:58

Friday, Nov 09, 2012 at 18:58
Thanks for the replies Robin, Geoff and Bob.
I think I'll probably get one and give it a go.
I don't have to mount it flat on the roof I can get away with an air gap underneath so that should maximise its efficiency.
I've got an auto sparky coming around tomorrow to quote on setting the van up for 12V so I'll run it past him as well.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 498235

Sponsored Links