BYRON BAY BLUES FESTIVAL

Hi out there,
We are doing a trip with our caravan up the east coast to Byron Bay in March next year,
starting the 1st of March.
Does any one know of any nice budget or free camp sites on this trip ?
We want to try and bypass Sydney altogether if we can.
Cheers
Danny J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2012 at 23:07

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2012 at 23:07
Give a wide berth to the Belongil Fields Caravan Park.
Stayed there on new years day 2 years ago – a real s**t hole.
They had thousands of campers there – facilities could only handle about 200.
Broken glass and food scraps everywhere, garbage bins overflowing, excreta spread over toilet walls, toilets blocked with dunny rolls – an absolute pig sty.
I can’t believe the health authorities haven’t closed the place down.
AnswerID: 497655

Follow Up By: timothy - Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:41

Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:41
We stayed at Belongil Fields Caravan Park 10 days ago because it was the only caravan park besides the showground that allowed dogs, it was very quiet with only 10-20 campers there and the grounds were pretty clean and tidy. We had a whole toilet block to ourselves and it was functional and fairly clean. It looked like they had room for heaps more campers, probably thousands at peak times and like Dennis mentioned it would put a huge strain on the facilities and if they didn't put on more grounds staff then they would quickly deteriorate and become a pig sty.
FollowupID: 773482

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012 at 05:58

Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012 at 05:58
I live nearby and confirm what Dennis has written. All the camp grounds around are packed and there is no budget park in Byron Shire, especially at that time.

You may do better by staying in Ballina or Lennox Head using the coaches/buses to get to the venue.

To bypass Sydney and its congested toll roads, I recently turned off the Hume Highway onto Narellan Road and made my way to Windsor. There are a few lights but the traffic is much less. From Windsor I took the Putty Road to Singleton then you can either go onto the New England Highway to Tenterfield or turn right and join the Pacific Highway at Hexham to enjoy all the stop/start roadwork sites.

About halfway along the Putty Road, which carries mostly motorbikes and few heavy vehicles, is the beautiful Grey Gum Cafe. Not only can you get nice meals but also free camp with shower and toilet.

DW
AnswerID: 497659

Sponsored Links