...those 'bleep' <span class="highlight">corrugations</span>!

Submitted: Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 13:22
ThreadID: 87911 Views:4144 Replies:17 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
Hi each

Anybody know who precisely is responsible for the SA section of Anne Beadell Hwy? I mean the actual district office as well as the State Department.

I'd like to email/fax them all to ascertain when exactly they are going to undertake their responsibilty to taxpayers and grade our section...!!

I'd suggest several (hundred?) emails/faxes from users/potential users of the AB Hwy might wake them up.

Then again, perhaps not...

Happy days
George
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 13:57

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 13:57
hi adelaide george

i was always of the impression that those outback tracks were never ever graded
and are excepted in

the as in condition left by natures events and horregations left by those who travel those tracks
after all isnt that what the real outback is all about and why most of us go on those tracks ????
if you dont really enjoy rough roads well maybe you have chosen the wrong route and should select a smoother one
i'm not having a go at you but it's just the way i see these tracks from my perspective
if all the outback tracks had a grader over them on a regular basis there would be no challenge or anything different to experience to where we live
just my thoughts
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 461497

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 14:04

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 14:04
I dunno Barry.Corrugations are more along the lines of extremely unpleasant than a challenge. There is plenty of great offroad challenges in Aus but corrugations are just a matter of holding on and hoping your fillings don't fall out and all the bits stay on your vehicle.

Having said that I understand no one is even going to attempt to grade all outback tracks and we are stuck with them. The cost of going places.
FollowupID: 735158

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 14:07

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 14:07
George, you are assuming that you live in a world where the State Government give a rats backside. They don’t! The A/B is not a gazetted road past a Mabel Creek. It's value is only to those tourists that wish to travel it. Also large swathes of the ABH are actually within a commonwealth restricted (read prohibited) area so there is little interest in promoting access to that type of area. Both prohibited and a good deal of surrounding countryside also fall into native title areas so there is also the push to restrict access to these areas as well.

The difference at the WA end is that there are far more indigenous communities across the those areas of the state that rely on access or use the tracks as "Business" roads. This ensures that they will be maintained to some degree.

It’s simply a matter of sucking it up, fitting decent shockers, letting the tyres down, travelling slowly and gluing the teeth in and enjoying it while you can.

Cheers Mick

;-)
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 461499

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:39

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:39
"The difference at the WA end is that there are far more indigenous communities across the those areas of the state that rely on access or use the tracks as "Business" roads. This ensures that they will be maintained to some degree.

Mick, my wife was a teacher up in the Simpson Desert area. She tells me the locals are employed to do the grading (pay per grade), so it gets done whenever the driver/s need some cash. Thus, the roads get graded regularly. I love a system that works.
FollowupID: 735191

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 14:09

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 14:09
Hi George

That track come under the control of the Department of Environment and Heritage ( National Parks )

You will be wasting your time in expecting a reply from them, as one local chap from here in Clare was that disgusted in the condition of the track a few years ago, contact the National Parks people and offered to grade the track with his grader and his time for free, but only wanted them to pay for the fuel.........

You guested it they refused point blank.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 461500

Follow Up By: kidsandall - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:28

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:28
Problem with that stephen is if he grades and someone has an accident, who do they sue, him or DEH. In todays world it just isn't worth it.

Josh
FollowupID: 735201

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 15:19

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 15:19
Well - I haven't researched this but assumimg you are all correct and it's not gazetted road and comes under the Department of Environment and Heritage, are they the body to whom we must pay great lumps of money for a Desert Parks Pass?

Are we getting value for our money???????

George
AnswerID: 461505

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 15:31

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 15:31
George,

"Are we getting value for our money???????"

Desert Parks Pass is great - where else can you get a year's worth of camping fees and track access for $100?

Bashing the National Parks has become a bit of a sport on this Forum.
FollowupID: 735166

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 16:13

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 16:13
George, maybe we as South Aussies should do what they do in Victoria.... everyone Victorian pays yearly even if they use parks or not.

The National Parks do a good job even if sometimes it seems different.

I'm all for some out back roads not getting maintained as it helps keep the general population out of these areas and keeps it open for the diehards who want a bit of adventure.

Maybe they should seal the road and make it 2wd and large caravan friendly... hell maybe a Macca's or 2?
FollowupID: 735179

Follow Up By: Member - TJ (VIC) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:48

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:48
I live in Vic and I'm not sure what you are talking about. I don't pay anything to use National parks other than the odd one that charges fees for camping.
FollowupID: 735193

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:08

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:08
"where else can you get a year's worth of camping fees and track access for $100?"
I don't know of any other state that charges $100 Phil but in Victoria they charge nothing for 99% of all camp sites & tracks & that's despite suppling toilets, fire rings, maps, info handouts, maintaining the track network & even supplying firewood & free Ranger guided tours in some locations. That's how tourism should work :-)
It's certainly not value for money in the SA desert Parks for us casual users passing through that's for sure. Faciilities don't appear to be improving at a fast rate from my view & the handouts are pretty poor compared to the early years.
I wouldn't say you're getting a years access for your money either when they close some parks for 3 or 4 months ;-)
Cheers Craig..............

FollowupID: 735198

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 19:06

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 19:06
Gday Craig,

Sounds like you've not camped north of the Vic border. Ben Boyd national park cost us $35 a couple per night for a campsite and park access. At that rate you get 3 nights for the same money!

Every year I enjoy Victorias parks and forests and appreciate their good work - so no argument there. Pity the odd feral users leave their rubbish everywhere. But SA has more desert country than the entire landmass of Victoria. Do we want them to build loos at Tallaringa and send someone out to clean them every week? Maybe they could chop down some marble gums for firewood, clear the mulga away from the roadside so we don't stake tyres, maybe put up some shelters in case it rains more than the 8 inches per year average?

The problem with casual users from Victoria was explained to me by an aboriginal fella - he said they are always in a hurry...."gotta be somewhere tonight" " drive too fast"....

The Vic High Country closes tracks for 6 months a year......because it snows and gets muddy - is that any different to closing a desert because its too hot and people die???

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 735211

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:01

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:01
TJ, If you live in Victoria you pay by your state taxes that fund most parks with fantastic facilities.... so if you use them you get your monies worth and if you don't your paying for someone else's enjoyment.

Here in South Australia the parks are part funded (very little) by the South Australian tax payer but most of the funding comes from a user pays system, hence fees and why our parks are of a lower standard.

Crackles, my comments above can answer your question as well.

Vics are very lucky to have what they have and our last 5 trips have been in Victoria so our travel dollar goes to local Victorian country town businesses like Pubs, Service Stations, Deli's, Bakeries and Sporting Organisations.

Being South Australian based I would love to keep the money in our state but we have no good tracks (all closed due to state govt tree huggers and people with no foresight), poor facilities and stupid rules and regulations.

Other then spending money in Victoria we also spend in NSW, QLD and the NT but not much in our home state.

Sad but true.

FollowupID: 735219

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:14

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:14
Look on your water rates notice.
"Parks Charge" is what appears on the first notice of each financial year.
Goes to funding Parks Vic and I believe DSE.

So every ratable Victorian property pays a price.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 735222

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 21:13

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 21:13
W.A. parks can be expensive if you are not prepared. It costs $11 a day entry to Cape LeGrande. Not sure how much to camp. It's been user pays for ages here. At least lately you can see the $ in the facillities in many parks.
FollowupID: 735227

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 21:28

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 21:28
No such 'Parks Fee' on my Water account John.
Quote: "The Park Fee is an annual charge levied on residential and commercial properties throughout greater Melbourne. The Parks Charge funds the development and management of a network of regional parks, garden, trails, waterways, bays and other significant recreation and conservation assets across the greater metropolitan area."
Not much to do with camp grounds & 4x4 tracks around Vic.
Cheers Craig............

FollowupID: 735228

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:16

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:16
Well there you go, I thought it was Victorian wide.
Appears not, Melborne area only.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 735241

Follow Up By: BarryR1 - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:27

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:27
Crackles, fundng goes to "state" parks including those in regional Victoria John you were partially right.

Cheers Baz.
FollowupID: 735243

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 12:54

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 12:54
Crackles, if the Victorian state or local govt don't pay for camp grounds & 4x4 tracks and the users don't who the hell pays for them.

It must be one of the mysteries that nobody knows anything about.

End of the day someone is paying and I know as a user of Victorian parks I'm not.
FollowupID: 735290

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 18:51

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 18:51
Probably the zero tolerance speed camera in the Burnley Tunnel - that would generate more than enough to sustain all the parks in the State.......maybe the speed guns out Kaniva way that shoot all the South Aussies heading east???? hehe
FollowupID: 735332

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2011 at 02:19

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2011 at 02:19
"where else can you get a year's worth of camping fees and track access for $100?"

did it for alot more than a year in the goldfields, never saw another person on the tracks , never saw a corragation and never cost a cent
FollowupID: 735369

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 15:23

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 15:23
Gday George,

As far as I know:
Coober Pedy to Mabel Creek Station is a public road.
Mabel Creek to the dogfence is on pastoral land - so the road was declared a Public Access Route (PAR) so is maintained by a deal with the State Govt.
The area within Tallaringa Conservation Park (I think) is still controlled by DENR's Port Augusta Office.
Tallaringa to the WA border it is now managed by the Maralinga Tjarutja Council from Ceduna.

It is a very remote and sparsely populated part of the State, so there is no way a local aboriginal community will maintain a tourist route such as the ABH. If people keep complaining, then they might close it!!!

I'm happy to keep it corrugated!

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 461506

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 15:49

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 15:49
Grow up , don't like tracks with corrugations stay on asphalt , next you'l be demanding that the Birdsville track / Oodnadatta track etc. all have asphalt all the way.
AnswerID: 461508

Follow Up By: BarryR1 - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:41

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:41
Back to your usual tricks Alloy. Hey we're still waiting for your answer from your last inflamatory post where you slagged off the Ultimate group a couple of months back. Funny how you couldn't put up when challenged and soon disappeared.

How about you pop off to your other forums now if you don't like this place. Everyones onto you now anyway.

If you can't be helpful.........

FollowupID: 735192

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 16:09

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 16:09
Slightly off the specific topic, but on our recent trip to the Gulf I did a reasonable amount of cycling (peddle power) on the tracks we travelled.

Now if we want to rid ourselves of corrugations then it should be compulsory for all 4WD drivers to ride 100 kilometres on an outback road, actually 50 kilometres would suffice – we’d cure ourselves of corrugations overnight, no butts!

Tongue in cheek mind you, but I vowed to ensure correct pressures on ‘The Landy’ at all times to avoid contributing to the ‘corrugation’ problem, you feel every one of them on the bike!
AnswerID: 461512

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 18:53

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 18:53
Landy,
I went to try that cycling bit but I couldn't find where to put the key in. LOL

Have a good one
RA.
FollowupID: 735333

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 16:47

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 16:47
1. You'll notice I haven't told anybody to "grow up", "stay on the bitumen" or used any other pajorative or inflamatory language - why do so many men [I think the "hairy chested" responses are from men but please correct me if I'm wrong] let their testosterone get the better of them when they are not talking face to face?
I have a valid opinion - I've also detected from many postings here that many others love the outback and eschew the thought of Maccas everwhere BUT just want some maintenance on roads that are in everyday use and might just be public roads. Another interesting point to come out of the thread thus far is that there are differing opinions on precisely who is repsonsible for the maintenance - if anybody;

2. I though we might end up with the "shut up or they'll close the road" fearmongering view - so - don't demand any corrective action by our Government on waiting times at FlMC and RAH - they might teach us all a lesson and close the hospitals altogether!!!!?......don't demand any corrective action by our government on Arkaroola they might just teach us all a lesson and open cut it!!!!?
I don't want to live in 'fear' like that - i believe if the majority want the corrugations fixed (say) once every couple of years - they should ****** well do it!

3. If the corrugations are fixed, will the hairy chested ones refuse to use the highway and choose find a really bad road to wreck their vehicle on and claim to really enjoy it? I think not some how...

Just my view... anybody else?

Happy days
George
AnswerID: 461517

Follow Up By: Member - Bill B1 (NSW) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:01

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:01
Funny how there are a few who 'spark' up when a helpful reply is posted!

Makes you want to twist it a bit more and see how far over the top they will go ....

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 735188

Follow Up By: BarryR1 - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:52

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:52
George, you need to relax a bit sport. It’s the internet. It’s unfortunate that you haven’t been aware of the idiot factor in Mr Alloy. He has an established history for this type of conduct. We all thought he’d POQ’d after his last little effort. I think most of the responses have been fairly tongue in cheek.

I have a suggestion that any 4x4 club or association could implement easily (as could any body responsible for issuing permits). Like the Canning, you need a permit (or several in fact)to travel the ABH. How about we have a few rigs made of cement filled tyres and drag chains. Not huge big whopping things but maybe two tyres in line for each wheel track separated by a spacer bar. If there were a few of these every 20 km and certain parties volunteered (or were asked to as a condition of their permit) to tow them for a leg and drop them, to be picked up and returned by a party going the other way etc, the track would be in pretty good nick in no time.

Of course there’d be those who didn’t want to contribute but enough travellers would have a conscience to make a difference (hope I'm not being too idealistic).

I’m full of good ideas.

Baz.
FollowupID: 735195

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:40

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:40
The idea Baz of travellers towing small grading rigs to smooth over corrugations has been around for many years. Maintenance will rarely be done on these remote routes by government authorities so it's possibly up to the locals, clubs & associations to set them up off their own back. They certainly work as can be seen on the track to the Eyre bird observatory.
Cheers Craig...............
FollowupID: 735203

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:44

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:44
Geez, that's bloody brilliant Baz. I bet you could have solved the US deficit crisis without even getting out of bed! You're right mate, you are full of 'something'. LOL
Only jokin' mate.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 735206

Follow Up By: BarryR1 - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:19

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:19
Al,

I could probably crochet world peace.....if only someone would ask. In the mean time as Crackles said, it's up to us locals/4x4 clubs-associations and supporters to do this stuff. Have you got the testicular fortitude to give it a crack? I reckon EO members could drive it into organisations like the ANFWDC if we had a mind to!

What do ya reckon? BAZ
FollowupID: 735242

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:29

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:29
Nah, sorry Barry. Both the testicular thingos fell off the last time over the Anne Beadell Highway! LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 735244

Reply By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:48

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 17:48
Dunno George, I feel that the Government, state or local, should provide road maintenance to eliminate major safety issues such as washouts, and maybe run a grader occasionally over those roads which are access for communities and pastoralists. However to regularly maintain 4wd tourist roads to a high standard is expecting a bit much.

I do travel often on remote roads/tracks/call them what you will and with the appropriate vehicle, tyre pressure and speed find them reasonable for the purpose. Not at all sure that I want their standard raised to the point where I am plagued by Winnebagos.

But I certainly do not wish to dissuade you from your point of view or from attempting to persuade the authorities to do a little housekeeping. Go for it!

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 461526

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:27

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:27
AdelaideGeorge

Very calmly (and yes I am a man) I do agree with some posters saying to leave it as is. Seriously, that is why we choose these tracks.

I went to CY this year, and can you believe it the OTL has been graded from just north of Gunshot to where it meets the bypass road. And on this road we passed a busload of tourists on a high-clearance type bus. They came in from the bypass road to the Gunshot bypass.

Now I would much rather have less and slower traffic on the old state of the OTL than what it currently is! Same with Anne Beadell.

And again this is a considered view not shooting from the hip.

What will be next? Will they grade the Gunshot itself for buses to go further south on the OTL? Where will it end?

I know I am using the Cape York as example, but that is just because of the above experience and the fact that it was just a few weeks ago. But it equally applies to Anne B, Simpson lines, yes Cape York, and many many more. Durba Springs, there is a nice spot lets grade the roads in up to there? No thank you

Cheers CJ
AnswerID: 461532

Follow Up By: kidsandall - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:57

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:57
Have to agree CJ. We saw some buses in places buses shouldn't be on our trip. Problem is the easier they make it the more idiots you get there. Also if they grade, with the speed people drive these days give it a week and it would have corrugations agains.
When we did the GRR a guy was having a big whinge about how rough it was, I thought it was brilliant and had no problems. Sometimes lowering speed and tyre pressure is all it needs to handle corrugations, gives you more time to look around too.

Josh
FollowupID: 735208

Reply By: Outback Gazz - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:53

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 18:53
Here's a thought ( tongue in cheek of course ) - the corrugations don't seem to be a problem for our indigenous cousins so why don't you buy an XF falcon, remove the windows and the exhaust system and you can then comfortably cruise that section of road at 110 kph ! Problem solved.

Happy Travelling

Gazz
AnswerID: 461537

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 19:05

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 19:05
Hi George,

I drove the section west to NJ in January 2006 after unusually heavy rain. There was not a corrugation in sight. The road when not covered in water was a smooth as you could get.
So present corrugations were formed after that period.
Not the answer you were seeking however it may pay to do it next time in seasons following heavy rain.

Regards
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 461538

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:03

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:03
Gday Alan,

Might have been smooth because of the grader rather than the rain!

On the WA side, I travelled the same section as you in August 2003 and they were grading it - first time in many years and it was graded because they were building the Ilkurka roadhouse. The grader stopped about 70 west of the border.

My next trip along it was a couple of months before you in October 2005 and it wasn't too bad then either. I guess it hasn't seen a grader since 2003.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 735220

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:24

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:24
Could be Phil, I wasn't aware they had it graded though I know the CS has seen the grader.

Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 735224

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:18

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:18
It's unlikely that "anyone" would grade the AB, to rid it of those corrugations pictured in Zebra400's post of 24th July.

To get rid of the corrugations, one would need to rip all the offending areas first, before regrading. To just brush a grader over them would only knock off the peaks, and fill the valleys, allowing the first few vehicles, now travelling at a higher speed, "'cause the AB's so good now", to reform the corro's for the next poor buggers.

The strangest corro's I've ever seen were on the Old Jim Jim road, just SE of Cooinda, from bitumen to Old Cooinda Store. Instead of being about 300mm apart, they were almost 1200mm apart. Really strange feeling driving over them!

And what's the worst, really bad Corro's or deep & constant bulldust??

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 461545

Reply By: kidsandall - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:27

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 20:27
I guess at the end of the day, corrugations, flat tyres, dust in the camper, ants in your food, prickles in your feet, heat, rain, flies etc. are part of travelling the outback so if that's where you want to go you have to put up with them, that's life.

Josh
AnswerID: 461546

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 01:59

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 01:59
Shocking!!!! Absolutely Shocking!!!!
Are you a troll?
AnswerID: 461568

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 06:37

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 06:37
The worse the roads are, the less the tourists. :-)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 461571

Follow Up By: ob - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 11:52

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 11:52
You got it Peter
I say leave the corrrrrrruuuugations.........in fact add a couple of nice big speed humps, might slow some of the morons that insist on travelling on these roads with tyres pumped up to within an inch of exploding and trying to set a new land speed record.

ob
FollowupID: 735274

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 12:58

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 12:58
the worst the road, the less terrorist's & more capable travellers & seems allot more bush etiquette is adhered too
FollowupID: 735291

Follow Up By: Fatso - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 15:30

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 15:30
Speaking of bush etiquette, I have found that when you put a white line down the middle of a road people stop waving.
I first started to notice this about 20 years ago. Back about then you could still get a wave out of nearly everyone on the Western Qld highways, even with a white line. But those waves have slowly diminished to where only a farmer or occasional tourist will wave.
Get on a dirt road or narrow bitumen road without a centre line & even though it is diminishing there as well, most people will still wave.
It became a talking point on one of our family holidays & as we were entering the Flinders Highway from a minor dirt road I remember one of my boys said to not worry about waving any more dad, they won't wave back. He was pretty well right.
I often wonder if the acknowledgement is out of respect for each other because we actually have to cooperate & share the road & no one has drawn the line in the sand & said you go there & you go there.
FollowupID: 735302

Reply By: TheMightyMoose - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 17:02

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 17:02
Just back from the AB.
Those corrugations on the SA side ensured we slowed down and stopped to look at stuff eg flowers whereas when we were on the WA section (which was in really good nick for the most part) we rarely stopped because speeds were higher and regularly stopping just became a bit of an inconvenience.
Also the constant stopping in the corrugated section kept the shockies cooler.
I say leave it alone.
AnswerID: 461622

Sponsored Links