Fuel Issues with 3ltr 4JJ1 Common Rail Isusu Rodeo Motor

Submitted: Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 18:08
ThreadID: 86801 Views:12413 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
This post is to all that may be looking into this type of issue.

I have put 103000k on the 2007 Rodeo now and have had a fuel issue on 3 occasions. Holden said they had an issue with this part and it got modified for the latter models.

The part in the limelight is Fuel Pressure Regulator (Part # 898145450 priced at $157.60)

First in the Simpson while in a bog the engine went into limp mode and the check engine light came on. The engine changes tone (rattles more and you can only get 1500rom max) and acceleration is not possible. After a few attempts it fired up and no more issues. The engine light was out the next morning when I started up.

It happened again just as i was parking up one night and the following morning took a couple of attempts to start it. It soon came good and the check engine light did not stay on for long.

This time the engine lost power at highway cruise and as I was slowing down the check engine light came on, it took a while but it fired up. I got into town where it happened just down from the Holden dealer and I was able to limp in to get it checked. This time it logged the fault which was the above part.

Apparently the old one has a smaller bleed hole and got blocked easily? The improved version will not do this? One can only hope :-)

The cause of my issue may have been some bad fuel, as I have also replaced the in tank fuel pump. I have the car serviced regularly and one fuel filter had suffered a lot of contamination.

At least it is an easy part to replace.

I have been told if you damage an injector they are $1500 each....Ouch

Regards Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 11:25
hi tony
interesting
have you ever used bio-diesel in your rodeo as this is well documented as a sediment dislodging agent when used in vehicles a few years old
its good to know that holden have introduced a modification to eliminate the problem
imho the topic was /is of interest and worth noting for future reference
even for non rodeo owners
cheers barry
AnswerID: 456678

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 16:13

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 16:13
Barry - No I have never put in Bio-Fuel to date.

It was interesting that the Holden Service Manager said that this part was an issue, so it got modified.

I have not found anything on the web in relation to this issue. I wonder if it is happening a fair bit?

Regards Tony
FollowupID: 729787

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 18:04

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 18:04
In the last 18 months, I've replaced 6 unit injectors (@$850each!!) in my direct injection diesel with Bosch fuel injection (most European diesels have Bosch). The Bosch dealer asked if I'd been using bio-fuel. Certainly not, I said. What about Caltex diesel? he asked. Yes, I use it all the time, I said. Aha, was his response, they don't advertise the fact, but their diesel can contain up to 5% bio-diesel (FAME), and your Freelander BMW diesel won't cope with this. See Joint FIE Manufacturers Statement issued in Sept 2009 by Delphi/Bosch/Continental/Denso/Stanadyne. The Bosch dealer recommended avoiding Caltex diesel and changing the fuel filters every 20,000km in any case, because Aus diesel is pretty dirty and doesn't meet European standards. Since then, I've had no further problems, but have just traded in the Freelander on a diesel Pajero NS; filters will get changed at the next service!!!
So - you may have already unknowingly used bio-diesel.
FollowupID: 729796

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 19:07
Keir & Marg - Well ill be - At this time it is all I do use, that is Caltex...as i have a fuel card.

Mmmmmm
FollowupID: 729812

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 21:48

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 21:48
hi kier and marg
i would for your own benifit have a look at these two web sites to clarify the difference in the diesel fuel types sold by woolworths caltex safeway

and
caltex starmart
service stations as there is a big difference and you will then know which it is that you are putting into your tank a lot of people are confused and spread misleading imfo re; this topic
the two sites are
www.woolworthspetrol.com.au no ethanol in there diesel
and
www.caltex.com.au 85% ethanol in there diesel
hope this gives you some clarity
cheers barry
FollowupID: 729952

Sponsored Links