Please Help: Hilux '97 LN106R Oils...

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 16:00
ThreadID: 84641 Views:41609 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me determine what oils I need for my Manual Dual-Cab 1997 Diesel 4x4 LN106R Hilux.

I read the Gregory's manual, and it says:

Engine -- SAE 20W/40 CD or better
- Sump Capacity 4 wheel drive: With Filter (5.3 litres)

Manual Trans -- SAE 75W/90 GL4 or GL5 (3.9 litres)

Transfer Case -- SAE 75W/90 GL4 or GL5
- Planetary Gear Type (1.1 litres)
- Counter Gear Type (1.6 litres)

Front Axle
- With ADD System: SAE 75W/90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL5
- Without ADD System: SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL5
Capacity:
- With ADD System: 1.9 litres
- Independent Suspension Without ADD System: 1.6 litres
- Rigid Front Axle: 2.3 litres

Rear Axle
- Limited Slip Differential: SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL5 for Limited Slip Differential
- Except Limited Slip Differential: SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL5

So I went down to Autobahn and talked to some American guy there, and he said to ignore what the manual says because it was last reprinted in 2002 and instead follow the Penrite Oil guide that they have hanging up there, which was dated 2009. He said the manual wasn't correct because it was talking about oil for a NEW Hilux, as it would have been in 1997 or 98, and that because it was an older car now, and that oils had changed since then, that it was best to use the Penrite selection and specs.

So I looked at the guide, and under Hilux Diesel 4x4 LN106 it said:

- Engine -- HPR Diesel 20W-60
- Manual Trans and Trans Case -- MGO SAE 80W-85
- Front and Read Diff -- Hypoid Gear Oil 80W-90

So I bought all of those oils, to the capacity of what the manual said, which was the same as what Penrite said, and replaced the Engine oil and the filter.

I then jumped online to checkout some videos on changing the diff oils to get a clear idea of what to do, and noticed some forums saying that 20W-60 is too thick to use as engine oil.

So now I am worried I have used the incorrect oil for the engine, based on this guy's advice, and that I may have also got the incorrect oils for the diffs and transmission.

Also, when I was filling the engine oil, I put about 5 litres in, and then ran the engine a bit, and then put the rest in, but instead of putting a total of 5.3 litres, I put in about 5.8, which is the capacity for the 2 wheel drive model, i don't think this is a major problem, but let me know if I should drain some...

Can anyone tell me if I have stuffed up, and if so, are there major consequences? I would assume there is no problem running this engine oil for the next 4000-5000 kms and then replacing with say 15W-40, which is apparently what other people on the internet have said to use.

Also, in regards to the ADD system, I have got the H2-H4-N-L4 gear system, does this mean I have an ADD system?

And does the capacity there for the diffs matter? I mean, if I am filling it through the top sump plug, to the point that I can't put anymore in because it will flow out of that top plug (not the draining plug), doesn't that mean "capacity"? or do the squeeze and fill method with a hose attached fill beyond that?

By the way, I have found Autobahn to be excellent in all their other advices, however this American guy was trying to fob me off, and make me feel stupid for asking these questions about the oils, and being very sarcastic and arrogant, which really sucks, cos every other bloke there is fine.

Cheers for any advice :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Quantico773 - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 17:47

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 17:47
As a follow up to this, I noticed on the Pentire site, it says in the FAQ's

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/faq.php

"My vehicle manual recommends a 10W-30 oil. Can I use a 10W-40 oil instead?

Yes. At Penrite, we believe that having a higher viscosity at hot (second number in SAExW-y) will be of benefit to your engine. Why are Penrite's viscosities the "Extra 10"? This is because a slighty higher viscosity = slightly thicker oil film between the engine components. Hence, better protection for the engine, as there will be less metal- metal contact. So, where the Owners' Handbook recommends a SAE 10W-30 oil, we will recommend a SAE 10W-40 grade oil to help you protect your engine. Penrite believe that having a slightly thicker oil viscosity at hot will provide better protect for the engine, as there will be a slightly thicker oil film between the engine components. As such, our products are designed for Australian conditions.
"
So I suppose I am ok with that Engine oil, the 20W-60
AnswerID: 446754

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 17:53

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 17:53
Hi Quantico

Your manual says exactly the same oil grades as mine does, (for a petrol engine 1992 model), with a slight variation on the engine oil. Gearbox, transfer case and diffs are the same.

I dont THINK that the slight change in viscosity rating would make much difference, but I am prepared to stand corrected on that.

One factor to take into account is the number of kilometers on the engine. If you have a fair bit of mileage under the belt, there will be some wear between the big end bearings/main bearings, and the crankshaft. In these circumstanses, it could be advantageous to have a slightly higher viscosity oil in the sump. That would go for the tranfer case and diffs too.

By filling the diffs to the 'top' plug, I assume you mean the one about 1/2 way up the diff casing. Oil should be level with the bottom of this plug hole.

Mine is a LN105R, I am fairly sure that the 'R' on the end of the code means you have a limited slip diff in the rear, make sure your oil is right for that.

Hope that eases your tension a bit.

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 446756

Follow Up By: Quantico773 - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 19:06

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 19:06
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick resonse.

Yes, I believe that is the case with my Hilux, it has just over 300,000 kms on it, and was used by the Department of Defense, so i'm sure they put it through it's paces, however it also means they probably maintained it to a strict timetable.

I am posting all of this info so that if anyone else is searching for the same details they may find it all useful.

After doing some more research, I found a few sources of more information, and have confirmed that mine is a Limited Slip Differential, as there is a sticker on the back diff that says "LSD Oil Only" lol, im sure i looked before and didn't see it!

Also, as to whether the vehicle is ADD (Automatic Disconnecting Differential) mine is not, because it is a Rigid Fixed front axle, and here is more info for anyone reading wanting to know more about ADD systems. http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/add.htm . It is for Hilux Surf, but is still technically relevant.

Also, I discovered some more info on this forum post:
http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=12706&sid=4a9b63c07c0585f67cd3c5f4cfd71dbf

quoted from there: "the difference between the LN106 & LN107.
Hilux gearbox is the G52,
107 lube capacity is 2.2 Litres same as the 2wd Hilux,
106 lube capacity 3.9 Litres.

Transfer case
106 is the counter gear type, lube capacity 1.6 Litres,
107 planetary gear type 1.1 Litres.

Front Axle
106 is rigid, ratio 4.3:1 lube 2.3 Litres
107 is IFS ratio 4.3:1, ADD hubbs lube 1.9 Litres

Rear Axle same on both models"

So, it appears that the oils I purchased are on par with what I need. If anyone know any different, please correct this.

Also, mentioned somewhere else on the net, I am gonna use a tomato sauce bottle as a oil pump squeeze bottle, its a great idea and is cheaper than purchasing one... and yes, filling the diffs to the top plug or the "filler plug" is the right way i have also found.

Once again Dave, thanks for your help, it has eased the tension! :)

Cheers

Quantico
FollowupID: 719142

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 20:20

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 20:20
Hi. I am a mechanic working for myself and almost exclusively use Penrite oils in my workshop. If you go onto their website you will find the most up to date listing for your vehicle. As they spend millions of $ on research I'm sure you can follow what they recomend without any hesitation. When you are filling any oil in your vehicle please make sure it is level and that the diffs/suspension is at normal ride height. This will ensure that the levels are correct as you say, for the transmission/s, diffs filled to the bottom of the filler plugs. Check the engine oil level at this time as well and If you have overfilled the engine I would be draining the excess out as in extreme cases it could cause a problem.(steep up or down hills for a start) Other than that you seem to have it under control so good luck with your project. Bob.

AnswerID: 446773

Reply By: Members Paul and Mel - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 21:08

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 21:08
Engine: Caltex Delo 400 15w40
Transfer/Transmission: 75w85 of a good brand(castrol,caltex etc)
Diffs: again any good quality GL5 oil will do at both ends.
dont use a 20w60 in it,way WAY too thick. i have used these oils in a diesel hilux (previous vehicle) with good results.
AnswerID: 446780

Reply By: Quantico773 - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 22:47

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 22:47
Thank you both for your replies, I had a suspicion 20/60 was too thick.

I wish I could take it back and tell that American bloke he gave me the wrong information, but alas, we live and learn.

Yes, keeping i'm keeping it level when checking the oils and replacing.

Originally the oil that I drained was quite black and a little thicker than it should be, even for a diesel, so I'll use the 20/60 in there at the moment to flush it for a couple hundred kms (only a few days) and then put the 15/40 in as advised.

Wish they had half the knowledge you guys do, cheers again!
AnswerID: 446793

Sponsored Links