Mornington Wilderness Camp

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:56
ThreadID: 84533 Views:3729 Replies:12 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has been to the Mornington Wilderness Camp along the Gibb River Road and can offer any advice?

The camp is a fair detour from the GRR (around 2 hours each way) and at $51.50 per night (2A2C) for an unpowered site PLUS a $25 entry fee, I'm wondering if it is worth the $180 for 3 nights?

Also, we will be towing an off-road pop-top around 16" (body) with a Prado -- is the access road to MWC any worse than the GRR?

Thanks in advance
Sass.
Back Expand Un-Read 0

Reply By: Member - Derek Jones - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:10

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:10
We were there two years ago and would recommend it. Costs are relative after travelling that distance anyway.

When we were there it was not possible to book ahead and we had to radio into the station from the GRR - there was a complete set of instructions and even a radio at the turnoff from the GRR. Pays to get to the turn off early. They will not exceed the limits they have set for numbers of people on site at any one time.

Track in was very reasonable and your set up will have no drama. A few corners to take care on but nothing serious whatsoever.

We also carried our own surf skis in on roof racks. Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundThe paddling in the gorges is well worth it. There are canoes for hire at a couple of the gorges if you don't have your own.
AnswerID: 446262

Follow Up By: sassenach.girl - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:58

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:58
Thanks for the reply. You're right, in that really, what's $180 when we're funding a 7 month trip lol
FollowupID: 718602

Follow Up By: Member - Derek Jones - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:24

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:24
Found a typical photo of the track into Mornington. Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 718608

Follow Up By: sassenach.girl - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 14:14

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 14:14
Brilliant, thanks Derek. Much appreciated!
FollowupID: 718618

Reply By: Member - Derek Jones - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:03

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:03
Another thought!

Charnley River Stn which is north of the GRR/Mornington turn off is also worth a look. Similar arrangements to Mornington with campites for a fee + some gorges.

While the Charnley Stn gorges are not as large or extensive as Mornington they do offer very different perspectives of the area with swimming opportunities available.

Image Could Not Be Found Image Could Not Be Found

AnswerID: 446266

Follow Up By: farouk - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:38

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:38
Hi,
Obviously it is all in the eyes of the beholder, My wife and I were there 12 years ago when it was $16.50 a night and no entry fee and thought the facilities were very basic and the 2 Gorges were nice but ! on a score of 10 would give it a 5 nothing compared to Mitchell, Windjina, Manning and Bells Gorges and $60 a night is just ridiculous, just my humble opinion.
Colin
FollowupID: 718609

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:55

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:55
We chose Charnley as the one and only station stay, and gave Mornington a miss due to the distance. Spending over three weeks along the GRR (including going to Mitchell Plateau and Kalumburu), we saw many lovely gorges and had to draw the line somewhere.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 718612

Follow Up By: wendys - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 16:44

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 16:44
Have been to both Mornington and Charnley and think Mornington is better, despite the distance.
Think I read somewhere that the lease on Charnely has changed hands and part of the property is to be run by the Australian Wildlife Conservancy. Don't know if that means Charnley will close for campers, or not.
FollowupID: 718634

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 19:45

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 19:45
I did not intend to make any comparison between Charnley and Mornington.

We chose to skip Mornington because of distance, and the amount of wonderful gorges we were seeing closer to the GRR.

We chose to visit Charnley for quite different reasons, as well as the fact that other people had enjoyed visiting the two gorges open to the public. There are many more not open to the public on Charnley, so if change of ownership means more will be open, it will be a good thing.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 718657

Follow Up By: Member - Derek Jones - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 20:14

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 20:14
The reason for raising Charnley wasn't about one being better than the other rather just another/alternative place to stay. Depending upon what time of the year you travel etc some of the other GRR 'highlights' may be well and truly full of people and alternative options may be required.
FollowupID: 718661

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:51

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 13:51
Hi Sass,

I think that Mornington was one of the highlights of the GRR. The road in is pretty easy with plenty to see along the way and lots of boabs. The big gorges are very scenic, although our day canoeing on Dimond Gorge was very windy which rather spoilt the experince. But there are other waterholes that are great for relaxed swiiming, like this one:

Image Could Not Be Found

The property is run as a big wildlife reserve and if you are into birdwatching etc its a great place to go. I guess the camping fee helps to offset the costs of running the property.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 446275

Follow Up By: Member - Derek Jones - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 14:24

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 14:24
Mornington is in the process of extending wildlife boundaries to eliminate cattle, donkeys etc from the reserve immediately surrounding the camping area.

These costs are quite prohibitive + costs for staff etc on what is basically a disused cattle station must be a expense to the Australian Wilderness Conservancy. These combined with expansion plans in other wilderness parts of Oz means funds are required.

PS Waterhole pictured is Cadjebut Pool
FollowupID: 718619

Reply By: Sillydad (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 16:30

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 16:30
Hi Sass,

Mornington is run by the Australian Wildlife Conservancy and as such is great for birdwatching and other wildlife.

AWC Mornington link

And if anyone wants to live and work there for a while, AWC's recruiting for a few positions at the moment:

AWC employment link

Cheers,

Tristan
AnswerID: 446290

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 16:53

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 16:53
My wife and I visited in 2005 and what we found was right up there with the best memories we have of our trip. Not to say that the other places in the area were not great but rather that Mornington was 'special'.

We were only able to spend five days there but every hour of every day was exciting in one way or another.

I would have thought that they would have removed all the cattle and donkeys by now as they were down to the last few of each when we were there.

Well worth the effort IMHO.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 446296

Reply By: Member - Matt M - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 17:24

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 17:24
Sass,

Agree with others who say it is well worth the trip off the GRR. De-stocking ongoing I believe, but fascinating to see the difference between Kimberley country that has been grazed and Mornington where there is a marked difference in the vegetation, etc.

Unlikely you will be that close for a while, so go ahead and visit I reckon.

Matt.
AnswerID: 446298

Reply By: sassenach.girl - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 18:06

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 18:06
Thanks everyone for your replies. We've added Mornington to the itinerary :)
AnswerID: 446302

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 19:07

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 19:07
You wont be sorry!
Have been there 3 times now in the last 10 years, the last two times to show friends, and loved it each time, the last being in August last year. Not the cheapest, but one great experience. Definitely paddle Dimond Gorge; stunning. The 2-person canoes cost about $80 for the day, but on two occasions, we took our 12' inflatable craft. But it's a bit of a pain carrying it the 200m across rocks to get to the river, whereas their canoes are right at the river.
The lic. restaurant serves good fare, and even if you're carrying your own food, one night out there is a nice experience. Some nights, the meal is followed up with a talk from a resident academic/staffer on the local wildlife and what they're doing to the place.
Worth a trip in on the way out there is Moll Gorge if you've got a couple of days. This is part of Mt House Station and is a stunning gorge on the Hann River, with camping on the river' edge, under shade, with magnificent views across the gorge. It must be booked with Mt House, it's not that cheap, no facilities, but you get the campsite to yourself; no others allowed in. Good fishing, friendly freshies :-). And we took our inflatable about 5km upstream.
Some mentioned Charnely River station - if you're got time, that too is great, with a visit 30km to the north to Grevillea Gorge a must. They too offer both in-house accommodation and camping with facilities.

cheers,
Gerry

FollowupID: 718654

Reply By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 19:53

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 19:53
We went into Mornington in 2009 looking for the elusive Gouldian finch. I went on an early morning "bird finding tour" and while we only saw four GF's from a distance, the exercise whilst being very expensive, was definitely worth while. The guide was very knowledgeable and gave each person plenty of time.
The road in was the best of all of the GRR and the scenery was fantastic.
A word of caution. Definitely NO GENERATORS ALLOWED. I had dropped my Anderson plug earlier and as a result had to leave a day early to get out of the park to recharge the battery.
If you want Gouldian Finches go to Timber Creek. Stacks of them at the water tank, up on the side of the escarpment, which services the town water supply.
Enjoy.
AnswerID: 446311

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 08:43

Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 08:43
Mal/Di,

You were lucky when I was there in 2008 I went looking but didn't see any.
Best I did was a flock of Crimson Finches.
FollowupID: 718801

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 20:02

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 20:02
Been there twice, latest last year.

Agree it's a bit pricey, however they don't overbook, which is a nice change from the bleep fight they call the main camping site at El Chequebooko - sort Questro, and the standing room only at Bell Gorge campsite.

It is a magic place if you want to relax and absorb the environment.
AnswerID: 446315

Reply By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 21:45

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 21:45
Sas,

Don't miss it, it is well worth the trip (been twice). If you can't get in the first time, just across the road is Charnley go there and come back to Mornington.

All the stations have their own charm and gorges, Mt Elizabeth is also good.

You will love the Kimberlies.

Have a good trip,

Mike.
AnswerID: 446327

Reply By: Member - noelene/peter b (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 23:39

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 23:39
Hi Sass
We were there last July. We had no prob with the cost, the place and staff were wonderful, and there was a great restaurant for one night's dining, which was a real treat after the GRR
Should you be planning a trip in July/August then get to the phone station as early as possible (by 8am if poss.) and register, camp sites are at a premium.
Enjoy
Noels
AnswerID: 446410

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 09:49

Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 09:49
No gennies , no fires , no shop , no fuel , set menu in restaurant and must be booked early as caters for the eco cabins and bus tours , was limited to max 38 diners per nite in 08.
AnswerID: 446424

Sponsored Links