LED lights for inside camper

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:44
ThreadID: 83766 Views:3954 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Team,

I am about to take delivery of our first camper. We have always hired in the past and we took the big step. We learned allot about what works and what doesn’t during the hiring process. One thing I am very particular about is lighting inside the camper, I hate not seeing when I am cooking something or looking for something. I have been researching the threads about all the LED types around and I think that is what I am going to end up with. I do have questions for those with permanent mounted LED strips, do they work okay or can they get damaged in the unfolding process. I am planning on getting the flexible strips and securing it to the top of the poles around the bed area and other areas with poles that fold back into the camper. I also want to hard wire the lot in with switches for easy on/off operation.

eBay looks to be the cheapest but I am not necessarily after the cheapest quality also counts.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:02

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:02
I have a Trak Shak with Led strip lights hard wired in with a switch near the foot of the bed. They are fixed to the Canvas bows and the wires run inside the bows to a common point.

Works well and to date haven't had any issues :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 442419

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:26

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:26
Hi Troll 81,

I have had LED strip lighting in my CT for over 6 months now, no problem with folding up the tent section, lights work perfectly, I got mine of ebay, yes they were cheap (AU$4.59) but so far they have been excellent.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 442422

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:54

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:54
I purchased a roll of LED strip lights off ebay, $65 for a 5mt roll which you can cut every 3cm.I have made up three lights in our camper, one permanant over the bed fixed to the centre hoop.One velcro's to the top under the awning and one velcro's above the sink along the edge of the awning.
I also use cigarette plugs with switches on them so there is no "pull" on the LED strip.
AnswerID: 442424

Follow Up By: Member - Paul F (INT) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:31

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:31
Nick;
Nothing to do with thread, although interesting to know the different methods.
Just a compliment on your signature photo of map & pins attached Great concept and very well done.
Sorry to Troll 81 I am not trying to overtake your enquiry and am sure you will receive the info that helps you out.
Cheers to all
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714509

Reply By: Wokwon - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:00

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:00
Have a look also at dealextreme.com

They ship from HK (usually takes 2-3 weeks) but with free shipping and with the dollar so high (prices are in $US) they can be very good.

I have used lots of these around the place, both automotive and residential and it seems to be quite good quality.

Striplight
AnswerID: 442425

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 21:06

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 21:06
I have an LED flexible strip in my Camp'o'matic on the top cross pole, and it has been great and has no problem while folding. The wires just run down the outside of the pole ( on the side facing into the tent), and are held by zip ties.

I also have LED MR16 reading lights . The sockets started off as track lights with a small flexible shaft about 100cm long, and I added plastic clamps and an inline switch and they clamp to the poles at the sides of the bed .
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 442478

Reply By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 00:00

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 00:00
Hey Troll 81

I also have a and have two LED's lights (standard fit) mounted at the head of each bed. They are on flexible tube, so they can be manipulated to face which ever way you want, and by facing the light in different directions you are able to control how bright they light up a particular area. The switches are on the base of them and they are attached to the inside of the trailer body and just tuck in, when packed up.

They work great and are hand for the kids, or when reading etc.

Regards
AnswerID: 442497

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:21

Monday, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:21
Thanks guys...I think I will hold off until I take delivery then setup the camper in the back yard and see what I need and then plan ahead.
AnswerID: 442891

Sponsored Links