Coromal vs. jayco campertrailer

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 03, 2010 at 16:49
ThreadID: 81701 Views:9704 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi,

We have had a Jayco Swan now for 10 years(1987 model). We have been quite happy with it, but are now looking to upgrade.
We are not sure whether to stick with the Jayco, or change to the Coromal Silhoette. We have 3 children and feel that the layout of the Swan can be too cramped and the lack of storage space has always been a problem.
I would appreciate any input anyone has to offer.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark Howlett - Sunday, Oct 03, 2010 at 18:36

Sunday, Oct 03, 2010 at 18:36
I guess the Coromal is giving you more space in the kitchen but other than that, I think they would be similar (same too with the Goldstream). Maybe something along the lines of a Windsor Rapid or Duet, while not giving you much more floor space, you would gain more storage with the higher walls/cupboards.

We went from having a small Jayco Songbird and Windsor Sunwagon to a Trak Shak. While you don't have the creature comforts, they are HUGE inside and the beds far bigger than the wind-up campers - plus you don't have to climb over your partner to get into bed. With storage, you basically have a 7 x 4 high walled trailer to fill up, plus external storage for 9 jerry cans and gas bottles (2x4kg or 1x9kg). A lot have boat racks too. Another option to look at.

Mark.
AnswerID: 432052

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 13:52

Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 13:52
We have had our 2005 Coromal Silhouette Pioneer for over five years now. When we were looking around the major differences between Jayco and Coromal were:
1. Bench Height in the Coromal is more like the standard kitchen bench at home, whereas the Jayco required me to bend down to reach the sink etc.
2. The push out kitchen of Coromal gives a lot more room inside.
3. Cupboards and general storage was better in the Coromal. This depends a bit on the configuration. There are several alternatives in both manufacturers and generally they got better as models changed.
4. The Coromal canvas is attached to the bedends minimizing rain problems when setting up.
5. The Coromal had "stronger" fibre glass in the basic body. (Probably heavier though)

The only major problem we have had is that the wiring loom become detached from inside the main chassis channel member and was destroyed by rocks. This occurred due to stones hitting the earth lead and the loose wire was teased out by the incessant stones on the Birdsville track.

I have modified the wiring and incorporated heavy duty wires to the onboard battery and included a motion switch to isure the 12v is switched off when we stop.

The only other comment is that our off road (Pioneer) high clearance van requires a fair bit of athletic ability, clambering all over it to pack the canvas in and turning that handle. As one gets older full caravans become more attractive!

Kingo
AnswerID: 432092

Reply By: sacsj - Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 14:14

Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 14:14
Thanks everyone. We will certainly take all your information on board.
AnswerID: 432095

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 19:30

Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 19:30
Hi Sacsj,
We've owned our 87 Swan for about 18 months now and don't have a problem with space inside at all. We are a family of five, 2 Adults, Two girls 12 & 10 and a son 8. We never put the annex walls on, use shade cloth instead with a shower & toilet tents just outside near the rear.
Never use the space under the seat opposite the stand up robe, only have the fold up clothes line, solar bag showers and a few odds & ends under the club lounge seating, with the charger and fuse box under the seat next to the fridge. The table opposite the stove is folded down all the time and is used as a bed for the young fella. Our camper doesn't have the cupboard behind this, as you first come up the steps on the right. For a dinning table we purchased a Wineglass style table leg Sorry don't have oictures of this, Can get some if you like. so all of us can sit around a table. The table top is a piece of 12mm ply that usually sits on the timber work of the club lounge to make another bed.
What kind of space are you trying to utilize?
Are you after more space for clothing? or are you chasing somewhere to put things like a generator/chain saw, extra fuel, an axe or maybe shade cloth for the floor of the annex?
Maybe a toolbox on the rear is what your after.
Have a look at our Swan Here. It may give you some ideas.
The Box on the back of ours is 900mm high at the back and 600mm at the front. This is a very heavy camper with the two gas bottles, the two spare wheels, the 140liter water tank and the tool box on the back that holds the axe, the camp oven, annex, ropes, pegs, chainsaw/fuel, rake, shove broom, hose and 8 floor mats.
As I mention, we have heaps of room.
Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 432114

Follow Up By: sacsj - Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 19:45

Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 19:45
Thanks Jon, great ideas.
We have 2 teenagers and a 10 year old. Our club lounge has been converted into a bed for the oldest child, unfortunately the table is too small for them now.
The tool box on the rear is a great idea. We always seem to have bags of clothes and food underfoot and as the kids get older and bigger, there seems to be less room inside. Maybe the toolbox is the solution(when we get rid of the bike rack).
Thanks again,
Ann
FollowupID: 702931

Follow Up By: pmack - Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:26

Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:26
Buy them a 30 second tent (It will fit on the floor when travelling) and tell them its time to get out then use the other bed for that stuff and close the curtain, a lot cheaper than the upgrade also have a look at your gear if you didnt use it the last two times you went camping you more than likely don't need it.
FollowupID: 702968

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 20:02

Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 20:02
Hi sacsj,
Yeah, you kids are a tad older than ours, and I could imagine the gear that would be involved with older kids.
I've also made a storage area in front of the stand up cupboard that doubles as step to the rear bed. I removed the door below the cupboard to gain access to the space under it.Image Could Not Be Found
We also have 4 shelves in the stand up cupboard, all clothes are stored there. We don't take clothes that need ironing or need to be hung.

Hi pmack,
You maybe right about "if you didn't use it the last two times", I do carry some stuff for the "Just in case" times.

I believe it's all about being smart with what you've got.
Somethings serve more than one purpose. But than again we have things that are kept in the camper so we never forget to pack it.

I also have a area in the shed where stuff is kept for short stays or day trips. I guess it is just a matter of being organized.

Good luck with it all sacsj, and happy trails.
Cheers.

FollowupID: 702997

Reply By: Fran & Col - Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 17:23

Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 17:23
Hi Sacsj,

We have owned from brand new a 2009 coromal pioneer silhouette, we are extremely happy with it and for us there was no choice the coromal won hands down, we have not taken the van off major roads, but have done a fair bit of gravel travelling, the van looks and feels great, you dont even know you have it on the back, my father made a comment to us while following us on the weekend when we were towing our van, he said he hardly moves and does not move all over the place, with the suspension it makes such a difference, we love it
AnswerID: 432174

Reply By: sacsj - Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 21:24

Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 21:24
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.
AnswerID: 432192

Sponsored Links