Nissan Patrol 4.8 petrol engine swap to diesel

Submitted: Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 14:07
ThreadID: 81242 Views:10348 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I currently have a Nissan Patrol 4.8 ST. I am thinking of changing the engine from petrol to diesel. I have done a few mods to the wagon & it suits me well. The only drawback is the fuel consumption doing long trips in remote areas.
If anyone has any ideas as to the viability of doing an engine swap I would appreciate hearing from them. I don't know if I would have to swap out the engine only or if I would have to swap out the whole drive trail.
Regards
Rodger Dodger
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 14:24

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 14:24
I doubt you will find it viable when you do the numbers. It will add up to a mighty lot of fuel. If you have a manual, everything from the box and back is the same.

If I were you I would love the one you are with and spend some money finding a way to carry more fuel if that is your problem.

OBT
AnswerID: 429877

Follow Up By: Rodger - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 16:15

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 16:15
Thanks OBT. I have an auto (Triptronic). I think you might be confirming what I should already know regarding the cost.
FollowupID: 700694

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 14:55

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 14:55
Rodger Dodger , you can't be serious but anyway that would be a disaster , both mechanically and cost wise.
I'd go a 3lt diesel before attempting that

You don't say if yours is auto/manual , or wether you mean 4.2 or 3lt diesel.

If auto the harsh power impulses would destroy the box and probably diff overtime , tailshaft is different as is a whole bunch of stuff that drives acessories such as ABS, fuel pumps and plumbing, the lot .

If manual , well all ratios are wrong- including diffs.
The different diffs would take the power impulse hits but patrol diesel doesn't like revs and would rev at 2600 at 100 at which it vibrates enormously and generates a lot of heat.

On highway cruising at 130kmh - well just forget it.
At constant 100kph diesel got 30% better consumption.

Further, under controlled 4wding conditions (Victorias border track test) the patrol diesel delivered only 17% better fuel use than the 4800 manual and got stuck much more readily as well.

If yours is an auto then consider a trade to a manual which delivers sub 15lt/100km on tour.

The Canning didn't even seriously stretch our cars range capabilites and there really isn't much that does these days.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 429881

Follow Up By: Rodger - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 16:21

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 16:21
Thanks Robin, I think you & OBT have summed it up quite well, I will just have to see how I can carry more fuel. Fitting long range tanks is an option, I have also see a company in Melbourne advertising flexible (pillow) tanks suitable for petrol & in large capacities too (100 + litre's). It does look as if that is the way I will have to go.
FollowupID: 700695

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 17:48

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 17:48
I've had three 6x4 nissians two of them 4.2 diesels & one a 4.8 petrol, loaded & towing a far size van you could find you use more diesel than petrol if you still drive it like a petrol, I found that loaded on a trip there was not much difference between them, but empty or light load heaps of difference, but it was nice to have the power & between the nissan 4.8 petrol & the ford F250 7.2ltr diesel the nissian was all ways better.
And as for bladder tanks think about it, there is a hell of lot of don'ts with them. I have sold flexable tanks for 30 years now, I use them in my own boat (as long rang tanks) but not my 4x4
regards Vince
AnswerID: 429998

Sponsored Links