Exploring Oz by Commercial Airline

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 19:12
ThreadID: 80927 Views:3297 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I've always been suspicious of cut price airlines. There's currently a whole raft of discount Perth Bali fares being touted.

My concern has alway been: if they charge such small amounts for seats, how much is left over for maintenance?

Obviously, not very much.

Tiger Airlines has been operating discount fares in Australia for some time.

Tiger Airlines Safety Breach

They were flying with a "flapping" wing for some time before putting the aircraft in for maintenance. Talk about dodgy.

Think I'll stick to road travel.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 19:23

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 19:23
However you add it up , the major airlines and big planes are safter though Gone Bush.

Mind you the only plane I have been on , in which there was an onboard explosion was Quantas QF95.

More than 20 years ago today - due to a complex series of events in which I had some influence , we arranged to have the Ayers rock resort for a new product launch.

We all flew into the then brand new Ayres rock jetstrip in a 727 , and went from instant luxury to a real outback experience , a bit sureal and definately an interesting way to expolre Australia.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 428313

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 19:50

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 19:50
I don't mind admitting a fantasy to fly around some of the iconic outback locations in a private jet that could cope with bush airstrips. Much as I love driving the remote outback, to fly across some of that country (at a lower than average altitude) would be a great experience. Flying anywhere in Tiger is NOT a great experience. Any airline that has an entire prime time television program dedicated to its stuff ups and the appalling way it treats its customers doesn't deserve the business.

Mick "We spent 26 hours in Launceston trying to get home" O.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 428318

Reply By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 20:44

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 20:44
GB, The FMS told the flight crew that a problem was looming but they ignored it. "they knew better" Airbus uses the pilots to back up the FMS whereas Boeing uses the FMS to back up the pilots ie the 330-200 over Exmouth.
Tiger is a classic case of "you pay peanuts -you get monkeys" Jetstar is going the same way with offshore corporate entities employing the cabin crew at a lower rate.

Stick with VB or Qantas........

Cheers
AnswerID: 428327

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:01

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:01
Gday,
If you didnt write Exploreing oz at the start of this thread do you think it would be classed as off topic?

Hahahahahahahaha

Cheers
AnswerID: 428331

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:18

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 21:18
Hairy,
you going to see a lot of oz if you hit the deck from 40000 feet.

Hairy! don't take a 44 40 to a knife fight, you might miss. John Wayne
FollowupID: 699044

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 22:00

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 at 22:00
Very astute Hairy...

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 699051

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 13:47

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 13:47
I sometimes have a feeling that Tiger is the subject of a "dirty tricks" whispering campaign. I have been flying with them regularly from a time before they came into Oz.
They use much the same business plan as other cut price airlines. The incident you are referring to is the first "incident" I have seen on Tiger. Compare that to Qantas over the last year or two. As a friend of mine who is a pilot says (he's not with Tiger) "You think you'd get me up there if I thought the maintenance was not OK?"
I don't think that the lower airfares are achieved by anything connected to maintenance. Tiger and Air Asia X operate quite differently to regular airlines. Their conditions are set out clearly when you buy the ticket. There is a lot of whinging from people who just don't read the print and don't understand how the lower prices are done, but still expect the airline to operate the same way as traditional airlines.
For what it is worth, both Tiger and Air Asia X have very young aircraft fleets as both have been expanding at a time when other companies have been shrinking.
AnswerID: 428397

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 15:11

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 15:11
I have been flying deathstar and tiger lately for my trips back to adelaide, pror to this it was qantus and 1 trip with virgin (never again)

these cheap airlines have it all over the more expensive players for on time departures and arrivals
AnswerID: 428406

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 18:09

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 18:09
Hey there Davoe,
Any chance of emailing me. Heading out to Curara Soak and Yowie Rock next month. Need to pick your brains.

lionelashurst2@bigpond.com

Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 699135

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 17:28

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 17:28
I fly Virgin Blue regularly for the work I do & I reckon they are a great airline. They are rarely delayed & the staff are great.

The one & only time I have experienced Tiger it was the first & last time. Basically I had to pick up my wife on a Tiger flight from Alice Springs. The plane was over 3 hrs late & it cost me about $50.00 in airport parking & cups of coffee while waiting for her! The really annoying thing about it was instead of telling me from the outset that there would be a 3+ hr delay they kept adding time to the arrival time in increments. If they told me the truth from the start I would have left the airport & come back. Not impressed!

Anyway with that off my chest I reckon that the best way to see Australia is to drive it at a leisurely pace. We took our kids out of school for 2 years & lived on the road in our 4wd. The kids did distance education. Best 2 years of our family's life.
AnswerID: 428422

Sponsored Links