Towing a poptop campervan onto Fraser Island

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 01:22
ThreadID: 73105 Views:8192 Replies:8 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at going to Fraser Island this December. I have a Viscount Areo Lite pop top camper which is standard. No 4Wd tryes etc... Am a little concerned about taking it on sand. I understand about lowering tyre pressure to 18psi but not sure whether anyone has taken such as this. If I could get some help on this would be appreciated.
Cheers, John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mylestom - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 06:00

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 06:00
In short would not think it was suitable, mainly due to the punched subframe/chassis of the Aerolite, can be a problem with age and lightest of it.

Regards
Trev
AnswerID: 387549

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:09

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:09
Sister and B/L used to often take their camper to Fraser.
It was an off road version with good ground clearance.
I don't know your model, but clearance underneath to clear the sand and humps in the track is a must, otherwise you are dragging a plough.

AnswerID: 387564

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 12:30

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 12:30
Hi John. You've got me a bit confused: the only Viscount Aerolite I've heard of is a pop top caravan, like the one I considered buying a few years ago, rather than a campervan. There's obviously a world of difference between a caravan and a campervan when it comes to towing on sand.
AnswerID: 387575

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 12:50

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 12:50
PS there's the added confusion that, to many people, a campervan is a self-propelled vehicle eg like a van fitted out for camping, as opposed to a camper trailer.
FollowupID: 655089

Reply By: BIG JOHNNY1964 - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 13:58

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 13:58
Thanks for the info so far and regards to Tenpounders question.. I must apologise its not a campervan its a pop top caravan 1984. Thanks. I've looked at all the Fraser Island websites and there is no real information, videos or photos of even the types of caravans that have gone through. I have however seen many videos & pictures of boats of all sizes. Thanks
AnswerID: 387583

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 15:10

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 15:10
Now I'm clear that your van is a caravan like mine (roughly the same vintage and style, tho ours is a metre longer) I have to say the ground clearance thing is probably the show stopper, particularly ramp over and rear overhang, but even the general clearance under the floor would be scary in any true off-road situation. I've read tales of vehicles bogged before they have left the beach (getting off the ferry)!!
FollowupID: 655100

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 16:25

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 16:25
Not likely to have a problem on Fraser Island because .................

With that van you are most unlikely to even get onto the ferry at Inskip Point !!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 655107

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 20:50

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 20:50
we find taking a onroad caravan to Fraser quite easy Allan, ourselves aswell as 2 other family friends have been doing it for about the last 7 years, all 3 have 1970's type 13ft Millard poptop caravans, only thing done to them is a springover conversions done for abit of higher ground clearance.
FollowupID: 655143

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:30

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:30
"springover conversions done for abit of higher ground clearance."

Well I don't think Big Johnny has this advantage and does not seem to have been to Fraser before so there is some difference.

But...... nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go for it big Johnny, Rumpig says its quite easy!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 655199

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:40

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:40
nice attitude you show at the end, just because you haven't done done it doesn't mean it's hard. we have taken the vans over previously without the springover conversions being done, it wasn't hard then either.
i'm sorry to have burst your bubble about it being "Not likely to have a problem on Fraser Island because .................

With that van you are most unlikely to even get onto the ferry at Inskip Point !! ".
myself and friends have never had a problem getting the vans on and off the island, and if you've ever been up to Orchid Beach for the fishing comp. you'd realise they get some massive boats up there aswell.
FollowupID: 655202

Follow Up By: BIG JOHNNY1964 - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 23:43

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 23:43
Gee, thanks rumpig it's good to know that.. Will see what the cost is for springover conversion as depending on the cost will also determine if I can afford it for this trip. I am a little wary that i dont get into any trouble as mentioned previously I have never been to Fraser and apart from looking at the Youtube videos, not sure if there will be dramas towing a poptop on Fraser for the first time.
FollowupID: 655219

Follow Up By: Rocko Wallaby - Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 09:32

Sunday, Oct 25, 2009 at 09:32
"Not likely to have a problem on Fraser Island because .................
With that van you are most unlikely to even get onto the ferry at Inskip Point !!"

LAUGHS!! Yeah, as a smart alec friend of mine taught me, after "amusingly" taking my car hubs out of 4WD when I was about to enter the beach at Inskipp point, that sand is soft, dangnabit! ;>
Towing a Campomatic camper trailer, seriously 4x4 quality, I was within seconds of being bogged to the axles just getting across that damn beach to the ferry.
Dragging a dead load caravan with small width tyres would be a shocker. Don't evn consider it.
FollowupID: 656238

Reply By: BIG JOHNNY1964 - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 16:59

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 16:59
Thanks for the information fellas. Looks like I'll be leaving the pop top at friends in Woody Point and taking the tent..
AnswerID: 387594

Reply By: Member - Ray C1 (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 17:09

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 17:09
Hi Big Johnny,

Last time I was on Fraser Island I came across a caravan on the track to Kingfisher Bay resort, stuck deep in sand, blocking the track, caravan belly sitting on the sand, this was on a very rough and soft sand track, my Challenger was finding it hard going, not towing anything. Lucky there was a pull over where I could turn around and go back, VERY stupid place to go with any van.

If you try to take a van to Fraser Is then stick to the eastern beach ONLY.

BUY two sets of MaxTrax, you will need them !

There are is couple of areas with gravel base roads, 98% of all roads are sand, most of it very soft.

HTH

Ray
AnswerID: 387596

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 20:42

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 20:42
i have taken our 70's model 13ft Millard poptop van over to Fraser several times and also so have other friends who have same without a problem.

i don't let the van tyres down, only my fourbies tyres. last year a mate let his 17ft offroad vans tyres down and we stopped just near Hook point to reinflate them as the van was wandering all over the place. a barge worker even suggested reinflating them as he said the van would do that, so it must happen abit if he knew of the problem and made mention of it to us.
our onroad Millard vans run non 4wd tyres but do have springover conversions done to get the vans abit higher off of the ground. we go via Inskip only (wouldn't contemplate towing through the island, vans would fall apart), timed for about 2 hours before lowtide it is easy to tow up the beach, i actually do it in 2wd once we are on the hard sand.
don't listen to those who haven't done it, it is quite easy. only soft sand will be at the barges, especially now with a lack of rain. pull up at the bitumin before hitting the sand and walk out and have a look at where you have to go, atleast you'll know what your in for then.
AnswerID: 387622

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 20:46

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 20:46
i forgot to say, stay away from the inland tracks with your van. do as we do and drive it up the beach (we camp near Dundaburra) and park it on the beach campsites. inland tracks will have you bogged and destroy anything not designed for offroad purposes.
FollowupID: 655142

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:44

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:44
just disregard what i have written Big Johnny, Allan says it's not possible to do it, so that must be the case.
FollowupID: 655205

Follow Up By: BIG JOHNNY1964 - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 23:59

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 23:59
Hey Rumpig, Great photos, You've given me hope that it is possible and the photos prove that. It's funny how everyone has there different opinions on things.
I will see about the cost for the springover conversion and if its not too costly will doit for this trip. If not, for the many future trips to Fraser. You stated to pull up at the bitumen before hitting the sand. I now presume that there is bitumen where the barge docks at Fraser before hitting the sand?

Again thanks for your info
John
FollowupID: 655221

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 23:57

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 23:57
The bitumin i was referring to is at Inskip Point, it is where you go to get on the barges after leaving Rainbow (i have assumed you'd be coming this way, as i wouldn't recommend trying to tow an old van through the middle of the island, i'd only do it on the harder sand up the eastern beach at lowtide). there is a sand track at the end of the bitumin road that leads you out to the barges on the beach, you still need to cross the sand to get on the barges at Inskip Point. we stop at the carpark area at the end of the bitumin, and deflate the 4wd tyres here before hitting the beach, you should then go for a walk (about 200 mtrs at a guess) through the track which starts off as a hard base, then exits out onto the softer sand of the beach. you will need to cross about 100mtrs of sand which can be anything from very soft and powdery, to if rain has fallen recently it could be quite compact and alot easier to negotiate.
once you've walked the track you'll atleast know what your in for. i deflate my tyres to 18 psi, but if it hadn't rained for quite a while would consider going down to 16 psi and possibly reinflate them alittle bit once on the harder sand of Fraser after departing the barge. don't be afraid to let your tyres down below 16psi if you did get stuck going out to the barges, the guys on the Manta Ray barges (green in colour) even have some Maxtrax you could ask to borrow. dig any sand away from infront of your tyres (front and back), pop the Maxtrax just infront / under of the back wheels of your fourby, select 2nd gear lowrange and you should be able to drive out once the tyres get traction on the Maxtrax. i know this works because i did actually get stuck towing the van once whilst exiting the barge back onto the mainland, but it was my fault as i was being lazy and hadn't deflated my tyres back down to 18 psi, i'd pumped them up to 25 psi to drive up and down the hard sand of the beach for the 2 weeks we were there. once i knew i was going to get stopped / stuck in the soft sand, i stopped wheels spinning straight away before burying them, hoped out and did what i have already said above (deflated tyres to 16 psi and borrowed the Maxtraxs). i then drove straight through the remaining soft sand from a standing start with the van on the back and tyres at 16 psi, the only run up i had was the lenght of the Maxtraxs i had borrowed from the Manta Ray barge guys.
if your really concerned then maybe make your first trip to the island without the van so you can see what your in for the next time you return with the van in tow. just don't listen to those who haven't done it before and say it's impossible, because we regularly do it and 99.99% of the time it is without a problem. it's just the one time when i got lazy and complacent about tyre pressures, i got a kick up the backside to remind me what i should have done before tackling the softer sand.
cheers RP
FollowupID: 655412

Follow Up By: BIG JOHNNY1964 - Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 18:25

Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 18:25
Thanks mate,
I think i will take the advise and go without this time round so that i can survey the area.
By the second trip I should have the conversion done on the poptop.
Thanks for your assistance in this matter
FollowupID: 656052

Reply By: Lenticular - Thursday, Oct 22, 2009 at 00:17

Thursday, Oct 22, 2009 at 00:17
Big Johnny, Just adding my comments.

I tow a 14'6" offroad Windsor Rapid to Fraser every Easter using a 90 series petrol Prado. Missed this Easter as the storms uncovered some very tough rocks (McLoughlin Rocks) north of Happy Valley, but the sand has returned and the beach is passable again. My advice- don't try any of the inland tracks, or go north of Indian Head. That is, avoid sand tracks, and stick to nice flat hard beach. The ridge of sand in the centre of sand tracks tends to drag on the towing gear (hitch, Hayman Reece load leveller, etc) like a sand anchor.

Max Trax is amazing, and the easiest way to get unstuck.

Stick to the Eastern Beach within 2hrs of low tide. I let the car tyres down to 16 psi and the van to 20 psi.
With the room and amenities of a caravan, you will live like a king compared to the camper trailers which most people tow over there.
AnswerID: 388160

Follow Up By: BIG JOHNNY1964 - Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 18:28

Friday, Oct 23, 2009 at 18:28
Thanks Lenticular,
Will go round without poptop this time as it has standard height suspension at present. Will survey the island and by second trip will have the suspension completed.

Looking forward to the trek
FollowupID: 656053

Sponsored Links