TD42 water to air intercooler

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 04, 2008 at 19:54
ThreadID: 64034 Views:8717 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A few people here know of my interest in intercooling and for some time Matt, a friend of mine and I have been fabricating a water to air intercooler using some pretty radical cores from Laminova in Sweden.
We've already got one up and running in Matt's 40 series petrol efi turbo'd 6 cylinder hybrid 2F/3FE.
The results from Matt's one encouraged us to build some more and here is our latest version on a TD42 Patrol GQ. It's way over the top in the amount of effort to build it but so far it seems to be bolting up fine.
It will be interesting to get it going and see just how far we can push it cooling wise. We are already building another 4 core version but in a different configuration for a turbo 3.5 litre BMW 3 series and we have plans for a monster 12 core version on a twin turbo'd LS1 Gen 3 going into a 1952 Mercury Ford. (we have heaps of room to play with there.)
The last pic shows the design of the Laminova cores, as I said they are pretty radical.
Regards Andrew.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: toyocrusa - Thursday, Dec 04, 2008 at 20:41

Thursday, Dec 04, 2008 at 20:41
Geez, thats some engineering feat Andrew. Where does the water sorce come from? Bob.
AnswerID: 338306

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Thursday, Dec 04, 2008 at 21:19

Thursday, Dec 04, 2008 at 21:19
Bob, it will have its own dedicated radiator and water pump. The owner is currently looking for a suitable sized radiator to fit in the front and the water pump will be an electric 80 litre per minute one from Davies Craig.
With the intercooler on Matts car we are getting temp drops of 50 degrees C as goes through the intercooler. Temps out the turbo 82C and out the intercooler 32C. And the really freaky part is the temp drop happens in space of about 50mm (5 cm) as it goes past the cylindrical core.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 605827

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Dec 04, 2008 at 22:52

Thursday, Dec 04, 2008 at 22:52
Hi Andrew,

Nice welding.

I have to plead a little ignorance here. What sort of result do you expect from such a temp drop?

I've only just started considering putting a 12v fan on my standard IC on my 4.2 GU III. I hadn't even thought about it until I saw Grizzle's setup the weekend before last.

I haven't started to do my usual research to learn why it's better to cool more. It's on my to do list.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
AnswerID: 338336

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 10:42

Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 10:42
Dave, I'm no expert, but from what I've learnt it's all about the density of the air being forced into the engine's intake. The process of the air going through the turbo (a very HOT environment), causes the air to heat up. This makes it less dense.

The intercooler serves to chill the compressed air back down and it is then able to be mixed with a greater amount of fuel (to keep the air/fuel ratio constant), which in turn gives you a bigger bang = more neddies to the drive train.

Somebody will come along with a much better explanation, but that's how my small quantity of grey matter deals with it... hahaha

Roachie
FollowupID: 605886

Follow Up By: Thermoguard Instruments - Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 18:32

Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 18:32
Well said Roachie, your grey matter is travelling well. How the hell are you? I havent been on here much for quite a while and it's good to see some familiar names again.

Andrew, you might like to have a look at one of the tech articles on this site which explains the benefits of charge cooling: Intercoolering for Diesels

FollowupID: 605937

Follow Up By: Thermoguard Instruments - Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 18:36

Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 18:36
Sugar! I mean't to click on "Preview", not "Submit". That should read "Intercooling", not "Intercoolering". I bean dun lerned to spel propa, I sware...
Ian
FollowupID: 605939

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 08:30

Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 08:30
Hi Andrew
Im building up a 2.8 4JB1T Isuzu and it should get close on 200HP.

I was looking at using the standard 3L Intercooler but adding an alcohol /water injection system which is a pain due to a small carry tank for that system.

I was considering the water cooler form Wagga and your figures look extremely good.

Would you send me some contact details so I can ask more please .But only if you want to.

email sales@onsitepower.com.au

Ian
AnswerID: 338356

Reply By: Goona - Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 19:23

Friday, Dec 05, 2008 at 19:23
Hi Andrew,

Can you please tell me what $ are we looking at for such a beast. Can you also advise what HP increase you would expect and for the front mount intercooler what size and would it fit into a GU without to much drama. Oh I should also ask are you going to retail these?

Goona
AnswerID: 338452

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 09:31

Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 09:31
Goona, that particular install is a "one off". My friend Matt and I just wanted to prove we could do it and it was an interesting design exercise but the hours of fabrication involved don't really make it a viable option in that configuration.
We are going to try out some different configurations that aren't so complicated (and some that are just for fun!) and John below is one of our guinea pigs. (Aren't you John?)
I've built a couple of intercoolers for John now and he keeps coming back, so either I'm doing something right or he's a glutton for punishment ha ha.
As we get a few of these out and tested in various vehicles I'll keep posting the results. It's very interesting stuff to design and build (Matt's the designer I stick it all together) and the results we are getting so far have exceeded our expectations so we'll push the envelope a bit and see just how efficient they can be when pushed to the max.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 606171

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Dec 06, 2008 at 18:28

Saturday, Dec 06, 2008 at 18:28
Andrew, hope you have my name on one?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 338572

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 04:16

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 04:16
Andrew, will ring you this afternoon and chat. John