Toyota 1hz oil pressue sender.

Submitted: Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 14:38
ThreadID: 63591 Views:7816 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am wanting to fit a remote oil pressure gauge.

1. what size thread is the standard sender unit?

2.Is there another pressure pick up position on the 1hz block.

THE LINE IS GETTING LONGER!

DEVIL.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 15:04

Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 15:04
From memory it is a standard BSP thread.
I did what you are going to do and fitted a second pressure gauge.
Because the actual thread size is relatively small and the standard sensor is heavy, with the weight further out from the block the T piece I used broke off dumping the oil out on the driveway. Fortunately it happened when I was standing beside the truck and immediately shut the engine down.
I know of two engines that have been destroyed after fitting external oil bypass filters and gauges at this point when the fitting has let go.
I'd be wary of doing it for this reason.
If I was doing it again I'd make a bracket and manifold up that was bolted to the engine and run a pipe from the block to it and then mount sensors etc to the manifold.
Make sure the low oil sensor in the side of the sump is working correctly as this will be the only warning you get if something lets go.
AnswerID: 335699

Reply By: taswegian - Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 17:10

Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 17:10
Peter 2,

good idea to use a manifold arrangment, the last thing i need is a seized donk.

THANKS.

devil.
AnswerID: 335710

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 18:24

Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 18:24
I meant to add that use a proper braided hose of a very high standard (exceed the pressure/heat requirements by a big margin) to hook the manifold to the block. Don't use copper as it will work harden and break as will steel eventually due to the thermal cycle.
One of the vehicles that had a failure in this region with the aftermarket bypass oil filter had a braided hose rupture when sitting on 100k on the highway, by the time the low oil light came on the donk was stuffed and he managed to pull over without power steering or brakes, that was a troopy.
As he was on the opposite side of the country from home (NSW) it was a very expensive repair in the middle of the holidays.
I take the view these days that the less stuff you fit to the truck the less probs you will have. ;-)))
FollowupID: 603417

Reply By: qubert - Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 22:41

Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 22:41
i think they are a very fine metric thread maybe 1 or 1.25
AnswerID: 335799

Sponsored Links