Bullbar Alloy or Steel for Navara D40.??

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008 at 16:49
ThreadID: 63231 Views:14717 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Starting to customise my D40 twin cab, so before selecting my suspension, would like opinions on Alloy vs Steel winch bar, Dont need to know the strength factors between both, prefer steel, but bit concerned about weight on D40 as it is not built like my old patrol. If you have steel bar, hows it travelling.? Any other modification suggestions re suspension would be appreciated. Thinking of airbags as I carry either heavy loads or nothing due to work.?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008 at 17:18

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008 at 17:18
Wazzbag,

have you checked out the Navara Forum? You'll probably will find a lot of the info you want there. I had the D22 and had all sorts of strife with the alloy bullbar compressing mounting bolts and inevitably shaking the chasis and cracking it. Details were in an earlier post here.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 333630

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008 at 17:44

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008 at 17:44
If you want a bar for looks go Alloy, if you want a bar that works ...Steel.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 333633

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008 at 19:14

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008 at 19:14
The Navara's are so thin that you do need a bar for frontal protection.

Steel is really heavy. If you are not going to mount a winch then I would go aluminium.
AnswerID: 333638

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008 at 19:21

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008 at 19:21
Wazzag

I had the Nissan alloy bar on my D40 but have since removed it and fitted an ARB winch bar and Magnum winch. The Nissan bar is only for show and is very weak with lousy mounting points. The ARB bar comes with very good mounting brackets to spread the load on the chassis very well with no cracking. I do have synthetic winch rope and alloy fairlead to try and cut the weight as much as possible though.
I have put TJM XJS suspension all round with 2" lift, the heavy springs in front and medium in rear which works quite well. Thought of using airbags as well, but do not like the way they put load on the chassis where it is not meant to go. But due to the problems had with the TJM shop I dealt with, I wont recommend their gear or use it again.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 333639

Reply By: young_codger - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2008 at 12:50

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2008 at 12:50
Go down to the ARB shop and lift up a steel bullbar - they're not that heavy - maybe 20kg

Don't waste your time with alloy, as there's no point to them.

I had a new steel bullbar put on by ARB 8 years ago and it's still like new. Obviously you want to avoid breaking the powder coated surface and keep it clean from oils etc.
AnswerID: 333742

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2008 at 20:10

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2008 at 20:10
If you are worried about weight, why not this model?

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 333808

Sponsored Links