Intermittent ABS Light coming on Landcruiser 100 series

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:04
ThreadID: 53403 Views:16521 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Must be the time of the year that I want to get things off my chest. Two posts in two days - they might put up my membership fee.

I have a 2001 Landcruiser 100s and the ABS light comes on most days for half an hour or so and then goes off and then comes on again. In the past I have checked but jumping on the anchors and the ABS doesn't work when the light is on.

Now this has been going on for about six months and I ended up taking it to a mechanic who scanned the computer and said that there were fault codes on both back brakes. He said he could replace both sensors $171 each and see if that made a difference.

I undid the bolt on the sensor and twisted it and tried to pull it out but is was not that keen so I left it alone. Not sure if it should just force it out and spit on it and polish it and see if that makes a difference. Anyone else had the same trouble or any advice?

Big Kidz don't like ABS (Andrew)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:13

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:13
Clean them and also check for play in your wheel bearings.

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 281245

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:55

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:55
as above dont be scared to twist them a little to remove .
they get covered in dirt and dust and send wrong signals to computer give them a good clean and go back to your mechanic and get codes cleared it should work
cheers
AnswerID: 281251

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:30

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:30
Gday Andrew,
Top up your brake fluid to the top mark, and see if it goes away. But only use the Toyota DOT3 fluid.
AnswerID: 281288

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 08:21

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 08:21
Instead of trying to guess what is or isn't wrong Why not take it to a Toyota dealer and see if they can fix it.

Depending what scan tool your mechanic has it may not show the fault if it has not been logged as a hard fault, not all scan tool are good including the Snap-on one.

The Toyota scan tool will show and do more then a generic scan tool.

We use a Hanatech scan that is one of the best avaliable and a Carmen and we do training at Denso in Melboure with there (DSC) scan tool and yes it does alot more then ours.

What you may want to do is find someone with a CRO / oscilloscope, disconnect the plug at the ABS sensor and check the wave form output by jacking the vehicle up and turning the wheel slowly....what you may find is one of the teeth might be chiped, warn or bent, this will show up as a dirty or weak wave form in a set location as you turn the wheel..

Or try this remove all the connectors from the ABS system check to see if any plugs and sockets have corrosion, if they are all in good condition get some electrical contact cleaner and clean then all and reassembly then with electrical silicone spray.

Regards Richard

AnswerID: 281309

Follow Up By: Bushtrek - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:53

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:53
Andrew,
The advice from Richard should be followed, IMHO.

The Toyota dealership checks run to attaching a separate device called a ABS Actuator Checker which can be useful in diagnosing whether the Hydraulic Brake Booster unit is functioning correctly.

When the ABS light comes on like yours has, it is usually either Brake Fluid level not high enough, [you can see this for yourself], or the Brake Booster unit is malfunctioning, which in itself may be one of several issues.
If you get the codes [DTC numbers] and post them, we may be able to help refine the problem.
The code numbers you may see are in the range 42, or 51,52,53,54,56 and possibly but unlikely 57.

If the problem is in the solenoid relays the codes are, 11,12,21,22,23,25,26.

If the codes are the wheel speed sensors the codes are,
31 right front, 32 left front, 33 right rear, 34 left rear.
The deceleration sensor codes are 43,44,45.

As you can see there is a bit to play with, that is why the Toyota service people are you best bet.
FollowupID: 545720

Sponsored Links