Landcruiser 200 series longrange fuel tank

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 16:29
ThreadID: 53250 Views:5583 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys.

There has been much debate over the new 200 series.
And one item that interests most people is the omission of a second fuel tank on some models and the payload capacity.

We have one on the hoist for the purpose of developing a longrange tank and would welcome any input from owners or prospective owners.

Follow this link to have your say
Web pole

While you are there, check out the latest JK jeep tank to see what we have been upto with a couple of new features on the website.

Ric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 19:59

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 19:59
Ric is there currently any way to upgrade the legal load carrying capacity of the 200 so when fitting a long range tank with the additional weight of fuel & bar work, (to relocate the spare tyre) it then doesn't overload the vehicle?
It seems assesory suppliers have very little margin these days to legally add anything on a modern car.
Technically a new Landcruiser fitted with a bull bar, side steps, winch, fridge, twin wheel carrier, roof rack, storage system, long range fuel & water tanks would probably be overloaded before the driver even hopped in.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 280516

Follow Up By: Member - Jim (Syd) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 22:20
It seems that the designers are not even allowing for our tendency to be a bit overweight ourselves growing up on good Aussie tucker and the day will come when a 4WD with all seats occupied will be technically overweight. Some say, that the limiting factor to increase the GVM is the wheel bearing size.
Jim
VKS 737
Call Sign Mobile 2737

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 544759

Follow Up By: wdric - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:55

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:55
I know OME/ARB do a GVM upgrade for the 70 sereis models.
But this has new leaf springs etc.

Not sure this is possible with a coil sprung vehicle, it all gets back to what the engineer can come up with on the numbers for the overall package (chassis strength, braking etc).

You have many choices in life to make, brand of car, the wife or the mates, the hair dryer or fishing rod, case of wine or carton of beer, the portable toilet or the tiny.
At the end of the day the vehicle owner knows what his payload (or should know) is and you need to make some desicions on what you add to the vehicle. A longranger fuel tank is just one accessory (along with camping gear) which will make up the mix of what people will need to consider.
If you choose not to have a longranger tank you just simply might not be able venture up that track you heard about at the campfire last night or may not be able to plan a trip to some of the far away places we all dream of going.

No mater what you decide at least you will be out there somewhere enjoying yourself :)
FollowupID: 544793

Reply By: gilghana - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 01:18

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 01:18
Not related to the 200 series question, but a general observation regarding longranger - while there is no doubt your products are good, please supply better switches with your kit... The switch on my kit (hzj 78 180l) failed in the middle of nowhere in Mali and it was only the third time I had ever switched it!! Cheapo (made in mexico) switch I would not have expected to find as part of such a kit!
Cheers,
Gil
AnswerID: 280549

Follow Up By: wdric - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:32

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:32
We actually use Cole Herse switches which are generally regarded as good quality.
But we are now using a new Australian made switch with all new models, which will be phased into older models as time goes by.

ric
FollowupID: 544788

Sponsored Links