Toyota landcruiser 80 series Gearbox noise??

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:50
ThreadID: 52287 Views:17874 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,Everyone.How are you all?Great site to be on..
I need some Expert help!I have a diesel 80 series.The manual gearbox had a terrible rattle when getting up it.Easing off it would go away but soon as i would accelerate again it would rattle like a my mum mouth going off!!I had a new input bearing done,oil change bushes,sincros as i could not change gears back to second.When it was put back in it went fine but its making the noise again!!!plus,i cant still get it back into second gear!!It is stressing me out as its money spent again.It had a 5inch lift kit in it when i bought it but but everything modified perfect underneath!Would it have anything to do with the lift kit??But mechanics told me it was sitting perfect gearbox.Would it be the flywheel?The pressure plate looked new when we took the gearbox out.The flywheel look a bit on the rusty side.I dont know what to think.Can some Man help me?plz......
joanne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KSV. - Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 at 10:17

Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 at 10:17
It is not good. AFAIK your lifting only can upset transfer case, and even so 5 inch is not too much for it to happen. But if you have problem with gearbox and particularly cannot shift back to second that most likely it need to be completely rebuilt. It could be possibility that your clutch drag and you have difficulties with second, but clutch has nothing to do with noise. Dragging can happens because input shaft splines dirty or burred.

Good Luck
Serg
AnswerID: 275244

Reply By: Member - Howard T (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 at 11:49

Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 at 11:49
Hi Joanne
Something similar happened to me with my series 80 except for the gearbox noise when travelling. I could not change from 3rd to second at all when it was cold. As soon as it warmed up no problems. My mechanics fix was to clean up something to do with the syncro (cone??) I am no mechanic. He also suggested I use a different oil. I use VMX-M (I think that is what its called) and presto no problems.
Mine has a chatter when idling but noise goes when revs increase.
Cheers

Howard.
AnswerID: 275253

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 at 18:41

Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 at 18:41
Yep, Castrol VMX-M is the best oil to fix the shifting problems in the Toyota boxes.

Bit hard to know whats causing the noise, from the description given - might even be the clutch.
FollowupID: 539039

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 at 20:41

Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 at 20:41
buy a new seat for the shifter ball, and run vmx....as far as rattle goes, if you have a consant, it will be your front tailshaft out of harmonic balance...the diff end is straight and the transfer end is on a descent angle, they dont even eachother out. double cardon shaft will fix that
AnswerID: 275338

Sponsored Links