Courses on tractor driving

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:02
ThreadID: 46881 Views:7221 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
The recent rains have turned some sections of our property into a real slippery challenge and have convinced me that I need to do a course and learn how to drive my tractor safely (yes, an actual tractor) without ending up being underneath. It's a four wheel drive, so I suppose this is not completely off topic.

Has anyone had some experience with a tractor driving course somewhere near the Hunter region that they'd recommend?

I supppose some of you would think that sideways down a slope is fun. Not me!

Cheers Frank.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:17

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:17
TAFE colleges run tractor courses in rural areas.
Be worth giving them a a call, if they don't they'll probably be able to point you in the right direction.

I know what you mean though. In practise, if it's properly balasted and you watch what load you have lifted on the linkage it should be as stable and as safe as any 4WD.

Cheers
Chris
AnswerID: 248046

Reply By: Member - Axle - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:23
Hi Frank.

I often work with my excavator on properties, along with another contractor who engages in slashing, back blading, etc, with a 390 series 4wd Massey Ferguson. Mate!, on hillsides in the wet you have to be soooo, careful! ,only travel straight up and down, keep implement close as possible to ground, engage diff lock if fitted, select correct gear, keep foot away from brakes! its a very similar situation to driving a 4by in those conditions. the safest thing is not to do it unless it is completely necessary!.

Take care Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 248053

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 18:27

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 18:27
yeah I have slid on a hill for a bit on a Tractor once, Scary as hell, started to descend and was in second and thought no I want first gear for this , had only just got on the hill side so thought I could pull it off, how wrong I was LOL.

FollowupID: 508937

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 19:01

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 19:01
Mate its when one wheel is spinning backwards & the opposite going forward!, at 100kms hr!!. Thats where diff lock helps, As you say, scary stuff!

Axle.
FollowupID: 508942

Reply By: Member QLD Steve & Lorraine Mc - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:23
Hi frank

Good to see a man who knows his limitations, plenty others dont & pay the price.
A tractor is a great tool on the farm, learning how to use its full capabilites at a TAFE course as mentioned is a great idea.

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 248054

Reply By: John R (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:36

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:36
as mentioned, try TAFE or check your yellow pages for a crew who do industrial machinery licencing (excavators, earthmoving, possibly trucks etc). At the least, by being in the industry one of the latter outfits might point you in the right direction if they don't do it themselves.

Another way to track someone down if you can't find them directly - get in touch with the state's OH&S overseeing body. Here I think it's SafeWorkSA. Not sure about NSW.
AnswerID: 248057

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 15:53

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 15:53
I think its WorkCover here in NSW and they should be able to help. Failing that and failing the TAFE option, have a look through the Small Farms magazine in a local news agency. I am sure there is an ad in there or The Land newspaper.
FollowupID: 508918

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 17:32

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 17:32
In WA we have Farmsafe WA Alliance which is an organisation promoting farm safety and are keen to run courses on farm (at a fee, but you get a group together). NSW may have something similar. If not I'm sure you will find there are other training companies which can provide tailor made training. When we organised a farm safety training where i worked a few years ago, we found a number of training organisations doing farm safety courses. Once again it was user pays, and we needed to get a group together, however from time to time we can access training vouchers for farm training, and these can be used to towards costs.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 248102

Reply By: burnsy - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 18:03

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 18:03
Frank, I started driveing tractors at about 4 years where I could not reach the clutch from the seat. I remember my Dad (bless his sole} taught me that by far that most tractor accidents occure from roll overs front to back. So If you are towing or pulling something DO NOT connect the rope above the centerline of the rear axle (ie on the top of the 3 point linckage setup.) This may sound obvious but people do it & some live to learn. Another old farmer always said that tractors are bloody dangerous because of their large wheels ( he liked tracked tractors) Haveing said that a tractor is much the same as any vehicle. If it does not feel right it probably is not. I watched a grader on a steep slope today & wondered whether the operator was very good or very stupid.

have a good day
Mike
AnswerID: 248109

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 18:39

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 18:39
G'day frank,
As an owner of 2 excavators and a bobcat I am always wary when operating the bobcat. One of my operators did roll it in wet conditions a while ago. Fortuanetly I don't have to operate it all that often.
We had an operator 20 years ago aoperating a 20 t excavator for which he would constantly travel the machine with his bucket too high in the air. ie di not keep the load close to the ground. My stepfather warned him he was operating dangerously and consequently a few weeks later he tipped it over, tracking on an anlgle and tipped it over into a trench. The cab landed on a stormwater pit that was not backfilled as yet. These pits were spaced 50 metres apart. Unfortuanetly he was killed instantly.
Having said this I admire your willingness to become competant in the operation of your tractor.
On the road to stockton beach from the pacific highway. The Lavis lane end. The williamtown turnoff form the Pacific highway if you were travelling north. There is a machine operators competancy place. I do not know the name but since you are in the Hunter you may be able to check them out. They are halfway down the road on the left.
Makes for a good excuse for a quick trip to Stockton beach
Peter
AnswerID: 248121

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 22:45

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 22:45
I learnt to drive a 4x4 tractor on my parents farm I also learnt they can get bogged as easy as a 4x4 to :(.

I would not think sliding down a slope in my 4x4 would be fun and as for a tractor even less fun.

As far as i'm concerned a course would be money well spent.

Brian
AnswerID: 248172

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 23:01

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 23:01
Hi Frank,
What about contacting Tocal Ag College?

They must teach their students all sorts of useful farm type "stuff"

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 248173

Reply By: Member - David L (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:00

Thursday, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:00
Frank,
Coming from the bush and being an ex-farmer I sympathise with you as I have been in similar situations. Good on you for being realistic and not afraid to ask for help.
There is a mob in the Hunter at Broke called CTM Training Solutions,
Ph: 0265791155, ask for Tony, (the Boss). I did my MC truck licence there, they also do cranes, skid steer, backhoe, etc. If they cannot help they may be able to put you on to somenone who can.
Good Luck

Dave
AnswerID: 248220

Reply By: Frank_Troopy - Thursday, Jun 21, 2007 at 14:03

Thursday, Jun 21, 2007 at 14:03
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the replies and the support of common sense. I take all the advice on board. The two day courses run out of the Tocal Ag. School look like a good place to start.

Your attitudes confirm my suspicion that finding limits and techniques is best not left to trial and error.

Cheers Frank.

ps. I'm leaving the tractor on the shed until things dry out a bit!
AnswerID: 248252

Sponsored Links