solution to side caravan shade curtains from the awning

Submitted: Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 09:06
ThreadID: 46692 Views:5138 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

A solution shared...

Just to remind you I recently posted, seeking help with obtaining an aluminium extrusion that would fit into the awning track, which when once cut into small sections would allow a shade cloth to be hung but gathered to the side like a curtain when not required.

After 190 reads no one knew of the extrusion. Barry (Thanks) suggested I make them as he had and I was in the process of buying the flat bar aluminium when "avachat" stepped in. The aluminium supplier suggested a local boat cover manufacturer may already have something like it . Yes he did... an adaption but better.

There already is an awning fitting... a rope wrapped in plastic with a 20mm flat section.... in a normal application you sew the shade cloth to the flat section and fit the rope into the awning track at each stop..

The boat trimmer simply stamped 2 eyelets into the flat section and then cut the length of rope and flat section with industrial scissors, about 10mm either side of the eyelet. The 40mm long rope part is inserted into the awning track... you insert as many sections as you feel necessray... I have had 15 . one per 300mm. (40cents each)

Being vinyl covered rope rather my idea to use metal inserts there is no wear factor on the awning channel or electrolysis. The shade cloth can be gathered easily. But the big advantage of the adaption IMHO is that the rope sections with the eyelets stay in/on the track permanently and roll up with the awning without a problem thus making the shade cloth errection as easy as hooking it to the eyelets.

Regards
SKI'er
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 12:57

Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 12:57
Very neat!

One to keep in mind
AnswerID: 247036

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 13:42

Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 13:42
Sounds like a great idea. Can you take photo's and load them to your rig page or post them up here for me to have a look at.

Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 247040

Follow Up By: Member - SKI er (NSW) - Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 18:49

Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 18:49
Hi Trevor R,

Just in case you missed the original post with more description of the problem it was 46581 ... 12th June 07.

Re the ask... I am not a techna/compter ist. but I am so pleased with the result .... I can take some digital pictures of the solution and email them to you or can post up the same at my printer print quality A4.s if you prefer. I will include the boat trimmers address etc..

I know people are worried about identity thingo'sbut not so in my case on this site.... if you want to ring or text messaage 0407104709 with instructions I will get things off to you pronto. I have the track inserts already and the shade cloth curtain will be ready early next week.

Regards
SKI'er
FollowupID: 507920

Follow Up By: Member - SKI er (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 14:01

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 14:01
Hi Trevor R,

Picked up the finished shade cloth item today. It works a treat gathers well. An Mark II adaption in mind. Make the eyelets at each end 2 eyelets on the same 1 piece of rope and flat section. There is a bit of a gale in Ballina today. The shade gathers itself automagically. The 2 eyelets adaption would allow one for handing the shade cloth and the spare one to tie off to awning side bars

It took less a little over a minute minutes to put up and 2 minutes to take down. I took the pictures and went to my member messages... whoops... this is why I struggle with computer systems .... I forgot about the EO self erase function 2 days after reading a message.

Please send me the email address again and I will send the pics off.

Regrads
SKI'er
FollowupID: 508675

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 14:38

Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 14:38
Hi Skier,
thats exactly what we're trying to do ourselves but did'nt know how , as above can you give more info {pics anything that helps},
best wishes and thanks,
Dave
AnswerID: 247049

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 17:05

Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 17:05
Skier,
In my response on original post my suggestion was along the same lines except that I had a full piece of vinyl above the arm supporting the roll out awning.

Had previously had something like you but used velcrose to support off arm.

What I found is that the western sun seems to poke throught the top part and that is why I had the full shade made up.
A sleeve at about the supporting arm height enables a pole to support the shade just like our normal side annexe.

Anyway , your sorted but if the sun becomes a problem that is the solution.

My annexe was made by Kakadu and all I did was get them to look up their file and make a side curtain ,with plastic thing that goes through eyelet on both sides, so that shade can be erected at either end depending on the sun.

Pedro
FollowupID: 507891

Follow Up By: Member - SKI er (NSW) - Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 18:54

Friday, Jun 15, 2007 at 18:54
Hi Dave Thomson,

Just in case you missed the original post with more description of the problem it was 46581 ... 12th June 07.

Re the ask... I am not a techna/compter ist. but I am so pleased with the result .... I can take some digital pictures of the solution and email them to you or can post up the same at my printer print quality A4.s if you prefer. I will include the boat trimmers address etc..

I know people are worried about identity thingo'sbut not so in my case on this site.... if you want to ring or text messaage 0407104709 with instructions I will get things off to you pronto. I have the track inserts already and the shade cloth curtain will be ready early next week.

Regards
SKI'er

Regards
SKI'er
FollowupID: 507923

Sponsored Links