uhf antenna length

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 22, 2007 at 18:03
ThreadID: 44606 Views:2394 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. I wonder if anyone has built a straight wire uhf mobile antenna and checked the swr. I can work up a theoretical length but I know that can be out once the antenna is used. I have an old antenna of unknown properties that will fit the base and I can cut this back to size. Reason being I want a cheap spare for use around town and in case the good one snaps off (as happens with a little assistance from persons unkown) when I am on the road. I will run with the theoretical length if I have to and trust the final transistor/s dont cook but I prefer to listen to experiance if I can.

I am looking for close to one metre or less.

Thanks

Owen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (SA) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2007 at 18:25

Sunday, Apr 22, 2007 at 18:25
Hello obee,

Try about 150mm for a 1/4 wave, you can buy the so cheap now around $5 to $10.

In a wire antenna a 1/4 wave is a good size, if you go a 1/2 wave about 600mm you may have some problems radiating the power.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 235147

Follow Up By: Robin - Sunday, Apr 22, 2007 at 19:44

Sunday, Apr 22, 2007 at 19:44
As richard suggests roughly 150mm is right way to go and it doesn't matter very much, with some soft copper wire 1-2mm you can actually wrap it quickly around thread if anteena is lost and just sort of poke it straight up. Doesn't matter much if its a bit wonky , always carry short lengths of wire for this and other small emergencies in bush

Robin Miller
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 496181

Reply By: Red Frog - Vic - Sunday, Apr 22, 2007 at 23:31

Sunday, Apr 22, 2007 at 23:31
The actual length will vary with each installation and the only way to check is with a swr meter, dip meter or antenna analyzer, if you cant lay your hands on the equipment then the theoretical length will be ok.
AnswerID: 235209

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (SA) - Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:52

Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:52
A dip meter is used for antenna radiating patterns only and will not show the antenna swr.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 235258

Follow Up By: Tony Middleditch - Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 16:49

Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 16:49
Measurement of antenna radiation patterns would use a Field Strength meter.

A dip meter can be used as a field strength indicator (frequency absorption meter)

A dip meter (Grid dip oscillator) is used for measuring resonance. "The dip meter oscillation energy is absorbed where its frequency coincides with the resonant circuit frequency under measurement." (antenna - tuned circuit).

An antenna may be resonant but still have high SWR due to input impedance mis-matching.
Cheers, Tony.

FollowupID: 496407

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY (VIC) - Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 12:33

Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 12:33
Gday Obee
My wire antenna is 1250mm from nob to nut......
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 235274

Reply By: disco1942 - Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 16:23

Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 16:23
An antenna length of 140-150 mm is a good length - but this has to be measured from the feed point, not the top of the insulator. If you have the HF/VHF type base (the ones with the solder lug visable on the underneath side) then the length is measured from the sheet metal that the base is mounted through. If you have the UHF type base (the one where the co-axial cable disapears up into a hole in the bottom) or the above ground type, then the feed point is up in the insulator - at the top of the braid of the co-ax cable. The lengths I have quoted are less than the theoretical 1/4 wave, the thicker the antenna material the shorter its length will be compared to the free space calculated length.

A half wave stick would be 280-300 mm long, not 600 mm as stated above. The impedance (RF resistance) of an antenna varies along its length. It is extremely high at the open end. It reduces as you progress down its length. It reduces to around 35 ohms at the quarter wave feed point. If you lengthen the antenna the impedance again increases until at the half wave length the feed point impedance will be nearly as high as at the tip. Increase the length to 3/4 wave and the feed point impedance will again be low. This keeps going ad-infinitum.

The reason we should use the UHF bases for our UHF antennas is that the above ground feed point transforms the 35 ohm impedance to the 50 ohms necessary to match the impedance of the cable. They also withstand the weather better in exposed conditions like when on a bracket on a bull bar.

For those who want to know a little more – read on.

The problem with using a simple wire antenna longer than a quarter wave is the radiation lobe splits into two lobes and the longer the antenna the more the acute the angle is to the direction of the wire. We don't want our radiation going up in the air do we??? You will note that the longer antennas that have more gain than a 1/4 wave one, have decoupling coils mounted about every 1/2 wave length along them. These are some times known as decoupling coils and are there to phase the radiation of each 1/2 wave length so that their combined effect adds in the horizontal direction that we desire our signal to go. The outer elements are electrically ½ wave length long and the one at the feed point end is shorter (somewhere near ¼ wave) to transform the high impedance of the ½ wave elements at the top to the 50 ohm cable.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 235328

Follow Up By: obee - Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 18:07

Monday, Apr 23, 2007 at 18:07
Thanks for the advice Peter. The uhf base makes good sense and I will go that way next time I have to buy a factory arial. I should know more about arials than I do having qualified as Amatuer about twenty years ago but I think I just squeezed in and there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge. I kept my VK6US callsign up to last year but I never got to use it much. I look at the Kenwood from time to time and think I should set it up in the car again but we shall see.

Thanks again

Owen

And thanks to everyone else for their input. All very useful.
FollowupID: 496426

Sponsored Links