GU Patrol dash lights problem

Submitted: Monday, Oct 09, 2006 at 21:49
ThreadID: 38382 Views:12122 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A guy I know that we deal with at work is having a problem with his GU Patrol 4.5 litre petrol dash lights.
It's an intermittent problem where as the vehicle heats up on some occasions the speedo, tacho and dash lights stop working, the indicator lights still work but not the dash lights. When it cools off it all seems to be fine.
I vaguely remember there were some issues with the wiring to the GU auxialliary fuel tank (perhaps earthing problems?) which were causing some issues to members here also. I've tried searching here but from what I remember it was some time ago it was posted here.
If someone has any ideas on what to look for it would be appreciated.
Regards Andrew.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chaz - Monday, Oct 09, 2006 at 22:29

Monday, Oct 09, 2006 at 22:29
awill4x4
If it's only the dash lights playing up, the first thing I would look at is the dimmer pot. This could go open circuit when it gets hot. Also check the plug to the dimmer.
Good luck,
Chaz
AnswerID: 198470

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Monday, Oct 09, 2006 at 22:35

Monday, Oct 09, 2006 at 22:35
Sorry Chaz, I should have been more specific as both the speedo, odometer and tacho instruments stop working as well.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 457172

Follow Up By: Member - Max- Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 14:22

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 14:22
awill4x4
I had this problem early last month while out in the bush. All dash lights and gauges stopped working, visual check of all the fuses under the dash and bonnet and all looked good. So kept on driving till the end of the day when the battery was drained. { 3.ltd } Got the leckie to check it out the next day and had a faulty fuse. This could be the problem, try changing the fuse that works the dash and see if it fixes the problem.
Regards Max.
FollowupID: 457247

Reply By: RosscoH - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 12:54

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 12:54
awill4x4,
Check the voltage going into the battery with the motor running, if it is above about 14.4 volts you have a problem with the regulator wire that runs from the battery to the alternator, I had much the same problem and that wire was broken in the harness about 3 inches from the alternator, lucky I didn't do any damage to the dash or instruments, but cooked both batteries and the alternator. With new alternator and batteries it cost me close to $1000.00.
Cheers RosscoH
AnswerID: 198539

Sponsored Links