Tyre sizes/ Wheel sizes / GU Patrol

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 at 00:19
ThreadID: 37864 Views:3418 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,
I've just purchased a 3.0TD 5 speed GU Patrol with 5.5" splitties and 235/85r16 Bridgestone Desert Dueller 661's. I've encountered what I believe is a fairly common problem with the wheel balance. I get a shudder at 85-95km/h. I've been to a reputable suspension expert and the alignment is good. The wheels need pretty massive weights to get them close to balanced.

I'm thinking of trying to find a set of solid 16x7 rims - possibly steel Prado rims. Has anyone used these on a Patrol ? The offsets look OK ?

I'm also toying with the idea of 255/85/R16 tyres, the reason being I do a lot of cruising at free way speeds during the week and most of my offroad driving is on gravel roads. I'm guessing the taller tyres will work in my favour by increasing the gearing by 4-6% and also giving me a bit more room under the diffs. I don't do much real hard 4WD'ing, nor do I tow, nor carry really heavy loads that often. I don't really want a wider tyre like a 275. I know 255/85 it's an uncommon tyre size but I'm in the habit of going bush with two spares and a tyre repair kit so I reckon I'll get away with that part of the equation.

Has any one used this sized tyres on a GU 3.0TD ?

Or should I just stick with the 235's.

Thanks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:36

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:36
Hi Paulnlou

Use both those sets of tyres on my GU 4800.

Usually put 235/85/16 Opats on for during the week and change for weekend.

And 255/85/16 Cooper st are great for ground clearance.

Wheels you need are trak 11's from roh in 16X7 available in white silver black
these have 10mm negative offset, to my knowledge all others don't.

Prefer to be resourceful enough to fix punctures and haven't seen need for 2
spares even with the odd 255 size.

We are talking emergency use only here , but you can run odd size wheels
across the car for a while, just adjusting tyre pressure a little on odd sized one to get somewhere near same Dia.
This is an advantage of part time 4wd in that you have more flexibility.

Usually only change 4 wheels and leave the spare as a 255.

A 235/85/16 spare tube is suitable for all tyre sizes up to 285/75.

The wheel balance issue can have many causes , but is primarily the wheel/tyres
in well maintained cars.

If its a real problem, try to borrow a different set of wheels to see if it
still happens first.
Done this before, I'm in melb and don't mind doing it again as it doesn't take long.

Robin Miller
AnswerID: 195466

Follow Up By: PaulnLou - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:23

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:23
G'day Robin,

thanks for the reply and advice.

I'm going up to see my dear old Dad on the weekend who has a GQ. I'm going to try, on the front, both his 16x8's with Kumho AT's and a set of 5.5 splits he has to make a comparison.

I'm a bit paranoid about tyres, used to live in the Goldfields in WA where staking tyres on just about anything you could imagine puncturing a sidewall or tread block happened often enough. Taking tubes, repair kits and spares is something I like to do, makes me feel good...

I'll be jumping on the ROH website very soon.

Thanks again.

FollowupID: 453555

Reply By: blown4by - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 at 16:31

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 at 16:31
Re your shudder/vibration it won't be an alignment problem it will be a wheel balance problem and is symtomatic of the fatter tyres we run today and lighter suspensions, coil springs, etc the manufacturers provide to give a more comfortable ride to the people who want a 4WD but don't really need one. No offence. My 4 cyl petrol Series 2A Landy years ago never had a vibration problem due to the leaf springs being so rigid and the 7.50x16's being pretty skinny and it was flat out doing 65mph anyway. There are two critical speeds for wheel imbalance to raise its ugly head and it is 35mph and 50-55mph from memory, my GU does the same at exactly 105kph. Get the wheesl balanced by a reputable outlet with the equipment to do the job and an operator who knows how to use it and if that fails get the wheels balanced on the vehicle that way you are balancing the hubs as well but if you go that route mark the wheels to one stud so you always ensure the wheels goes back on exactly the same position relative to the hub each time.
AnswerID: 195527

Sponsored Links