Gu Patrol Breathers (Diff/Transfer/Gearbox)

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 15:27
ThreadID: 35877 Views:5328 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I have a 2003 GU Patrol. I believe that the front diff, transfer case and gearbox breathers end in the left hand guard.

Could anyone shed light on how I managed to fill my transfer case with water and end up blowing the rear seal out of it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 15:39

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 15:39
Breathers only work if they are clear of obstruction/s. To answer your question, you'd need to see if you can blow/suck air through the breather pipe. If you can do so, then it's not the breathers fault, must have been a faulty seal?

Sorry to hear about your blown seal.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 183759

Reply By: Sarg - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 16:47

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 16:47
What were you doing before the transfere case got filled with water?
Deep water crossing, water crossing while the t''fere /trans was still hot after a long run or hard work? This can "suck" water in past the seals on trans & diffs.
AnswerID: 183774

Reply By: Doggy Tease - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:45

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:45
might pay to actually get under the patrol and see where your breathers terminate, as the "02" model rear breather goes to the chassis crossmember, the t/case has a short hose up to the firewall, and the front one just heads for the chassis rail. At least, thats what they do on mine.

meow.

rick.
AnswerID: 183789

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:19

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:19
Sarg has it in one.
The diffs heat up from normal use - the air inside heats & expands.
If you drive into some water, the case gets cold - quickly- decreased pressure inside - it sucks the breather shut (plastic soft from heat), then sucks water in through the seals. The breather then cools down & expands, and we are left wondering - how did that damn water get in????
All part of the adventures of life................regards.......Keith.

Theory - stop and have lunch/coffee before the water crossing, to let the diffs cool down, then drive across. We all do that, don't we Roachie ....?
AnswerID: 183795

Follow Up By: WillisGu - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 19:00

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 19:00
Thanks for all the imput. I have traced the breather lines, from the diffs, the transfer case and the gearbox. These lines all end up in the top of the left hand front guard. The rear one ends in the chassis cross memeber.

We generally always stop and let the driveline cool down, however when this problem occured we were in Kununurra in Novemeber. Temps in the high 40's so things did not cool down that well. A few crossings of Ivanhoe crossing and we had trouble.
FollowupID: 440428

Reply By: Chaz - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 21:21

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 21:21
HI WillisGu,
When I used my GUIII for the first time offroad, I drive over some saltbush and broke the two rubber hoses off that join the breather pipes from the transfer case. These pipes were hanging down near the transmission crossmember and were in a particularly bad location and vulnerable to say the least.
I have since replaced them with some braded tubing and fitted a plate to protect them after bending them back up out of harms way.
If your rubber tubes are split too, you will easily get a transfer case full of water if you submerge it.

Chaz
AnswerID: 183836

Sponsored Links