ARB Roof Rack Wind Noise

Submitted: Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 00:40
ThreadID: 29102 Views:18314 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I just got a full length (2200mm) ARB rack fitted to my 02 Patrol without the mesh as apparently they are quite heavy and whistle with the wind. Anyway I purchased this without a wind deflector as the ARB bloke says it is not necessary with a Patrol due to the vehicle shape. anyway there is a noticable wind noise now, especially when passing trucks and if there is a cross wind blowing. It is not whistling and you sometimes forget it is there but I am one of those people who hates squeeks, noises in my vehicle. Can anyone tell me if the ARB wind deflectors work as I do not want to pay $169 for one if it will do nothing. I am trying to work out if the noise is from the top bar, or front bottom bar which a deflector should fix or if the wind is drifting trough the bottom of the rack and making a noise on a few of the front cross pipes???? Anyone???
Cheers
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 07:25

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 07:25
Justin,

If it is possible you could try and move the rack to wards the back of the vehicle. This some times help with the air flow over the rack.

You could make a ply wood deflector and see if that helps, if it does then get the ARB. This way it will not cost too much to see if the deflector works.

I was lucky enough to find a old perspex type cargo barrier and cut that up to make a wind deflector. It had a small return on the bottom of the barrier and fitted in well on the bottom section of the deflector so that it didn't have a sharp edge. This is where some of the noise can come from.

Get a quote from a sheet metal shop, they should be able to make one out either out of gal steel or aluminium.

Wayne
AnswerID: 145207

Follow Up By: Member - Rick A (QLD) - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:55

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:55
I did the same as Wayne and moved my ARB rack back as far as I could on my 90 series Prado. It did make a difference. I then put an ARB wind deflector on in an attempt to improve aerodynamics when the roof is loaded. I noticed that the wind noise has died down a bit more, but it doesn't totally go away. The noise seems to be generated in the gap between the bottom of the rack and the roof. The rack has a plate at the front that funnels the air into a tighter space which causes the noise. Moving the rack back will force more air over the rack instead of through/under. Like Wayne said, try a piece of ply that goes from the roofline to the top of the rack and see if that helps. If it does, then get a proper deflector made up. If not, you still have a handy piece of ply for another experiment. In hind sight I wish I had got a 3/4 length rack with a mesh floor. The 3/4 apperenlt makes less noise and the mesh floor would make it easier to pack smaller items.

Rick.
FollowupID: 398755

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 21:33

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 21:33
My TD had an ARB roofrack on when I bought it and I couldn't believe how noisy it was compared to the ECB rack I had on my previous 100 series so I thought I would take it off Next problem I had to call three mates to lift the bloody thing off. If anyone wants a cheap ARB rack to suit a 100 series $500 bucks and its yours. It is brand new. Also advertised in trader section
Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 398849

Reply By: V8Diesel - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 09:00

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 09:00
I had noise problems with the TJM rack on my old GU. After experimenting with all kinds of stuff I found some of the large diameter PVC pipe (180mm?) strapped across the front as a wind deflector made a significant difference. Hanging lower down towards the roof was the quietest position I found.

Before I sold the GU, my intention was to permanently fix this pipe to the rack and install threaded end caps for tent and tarp storage.
AnswerID: 145224

Reply By: awill4x4 - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 12:42

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 12:42
I build aluminium roofracks as an afterhours interest and by far the greatest thing to minimise wind noise is a shorter roofrack and place it as far back as you can. If anyone asks me for a full length one, I'll fight tooth and nail to recommend a 3/4 size one instead, the amount of noise reduction for a rack 200mm-300mm shorter is huge. Just how much stuff do people really want to carry up there anyway, the shorter length doesn't mean much difference in carrying capacity either.
I've experimented with wind deflectors and I haven't found any difference, either in wind noise or economy. But placing the roofrack further back gets it out of the airstream as the wind goes over the windscreen and misses the leading edge of the rack.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 145252

Follow Up By: H2O - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 13:34

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 13:34
Andrew,
I was going to buy a 3/4 rack (1850mm) but the bloke from ARB said to go the ful length as 'I wouldn't want to see you short of space'. It may have been because that was the only one he had in stock? I cannot move it back much - then back of the rack it is currently level with the rear of the roof. Do you think I should move it back furthur anyway - I suppose I can go as far back as the spare tyre or until the rear gutter mount is almost at the back of the gutter?
Thanks for the response
Justin
FollowupID: 398774

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 13:41

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 13:41
Do YOU think you need a full length? Fawk what the ARB dude says

If not take it back and swap it.
FollowupID: 398776

Reply By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 13:18

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 13:18
Hi Justin
In answer to your Question, I have a ARB rack same as you on a 100 series L/C
It is noisey to, I purchased the ARB wind deflector and found no difference
I would experiment before buying as suggested
Good luck
Merry Christmas
Barry
AnswerID: 145256

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 15:32

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 15:32
I've got the full length ARB with mesh floor. It has been on there since I bought the truck new in 2000, so I don't know any different. I did fit a piece of 3mm aluminium with the 2 lower corners bent inwards slightly (you can see it in my RigPic). It's about 300mm high and is now sitting up against the wall in my shed, cos I don't reckon it made any difference to noise of fuel economy. Being the size it is, I was able to mount it in such a way that it sat only a couple of mm above the roof-line. I mounted it using 4 "U" shaped muffler brackets and 4 right-angle brackets..which meant it was adjustable as far as the angle was concerned. I experimented with it, but didn't make any difference. The only good thing was that it stopped any krap going into the trumpets of my air horns (not that that is a problem anyway)Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 145264

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 17:08

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 17:08
I have a 4WDsystems roofrack with mesh floor and with wind deflector. Rack is 2.1m long.

I have moved the rack back to where the rearbar of the RR is in line with the roof gutter.

No wind noise whatsoever.

It may be the design of the RR that is a factor in wind noise.

Cheers
AnswerID: 145290

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 20:42

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 20:42
GQ's have a "steeper" windscreen than the GU's and a longer roofline which will allow a longer rack but still out of the airstream coming off the windscreen.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 398841

Sponsored Links