Dtronic For Patrol 3.0TD Auto

Submitted: Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 00:18
ThreadID: 29100 Views:1927 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have been reading through the treads about dtronics fitted to Patrols but they all seem to be fitted to manuals. Has anyone got any info on how they perform with the auto? the vehicle is a 02 model with 89kms on it and I have just fitted slightly larger tyres (265/75) and when I tow my boat it keeps hunting gears up hills when it never use to. Will the dtronic help with this - it dosen't need too much more torque to get through the hills without having to drop down. I am thinking some of what I am feeling is maybe the command cruise not being sensitive enough and letting the speed get too low and then having to quickly get the vehicle back to the set speed - that might be an xmas day project finding that box and seeing if I can fiddle with the sensitivity??
Cheers
Justin

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chaz - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 06:34

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 06:34
Hi H2O,
The hunting that you mention could be your torque converter locking and unlocking. This should only happen in 3rd or 4th gear over 80km/ph. I have fitted a Dtronic to my 02 3.0L auto and it is a big improvement in my mind, and it does help to stop the hunting issue. The other option is a manual converter locking switch.
I wouldn't tow with cruise on, especially through hilly country.

Chaz
AnswerID: 145201

Follow Up By: Peter McGuckian (Member) - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:32

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:32
Hi Chaz,

Like the battery box. Can you please send me some notes on how you wired this up and where you got the batteries from?

Thanks

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 398753

Follow Up By: Chaz - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 18:32

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 18:32
Hi Peter,
Here is a simple diagram for my setup. The batterys are available from most battery outlets and these are 25 amp hours each. You can fit them into a good quallity plastic tool box easily enough.
This system also allows your fridge to run on after you turn your ignition off. It works well.

FollowupID: 398825

Follow Up By: Peter McGuckian (Member) - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 20:35

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 20:35
Thanks Chaz.

what specs for the blocking diode? from Jaycar or dick smiths?
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 398839

Follow Up By: Chaz - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 21:56

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 21:56
Peter,
The blocking diode is just a 5 amp diode that I had, but you could use any diode that you could get your hands on that was 5 or more amps.
It serves two purposes, and that is to stop the batterys from feeding back into the car and leaving your accessories on, and flattening the batterys. Also it lowers the charging voltage to around 13.3 volts when your engine is running. You usally get around a .6 or .7 volt drop accross a diode. So when your alternator is charging at 14 volts, the sealed batterys get 13.3, which is ideal for that type of battery. The other thing is to store the battery box in a location where it won't get too hot and it is safe to store them inside the car because they give off no gasses.
I charge them always when I'm driving by plugging them into the rear lighter socket and when I'm not using them I hang them off a solar pannel. They run my Waeco FF70 for at least a day and I use them for portable power with my 800watt inverter.
FollowupID: 398853

Follow Up By: angler - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 22:39

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 22:39
Chaz,

I really like the guage pod, Where did you get it from? how many dollars etc.
I have almost completed a system that drops the lockup at a preset speed. The speed is set from a dash mounted control. It's close to completion just doing for a few more tests.

Pooley
FollowupID: 398861

Follow Up By: Chaz - Saturday, Dec 24, 2005 at 12:19

Saturday, Dec 24, 2005 at 12:19
Hi Pooley,
I got that pod from TJM in Adelaide for around $125. I think that 4x4Megastores stock them at their warehouse in Sydney.
You converter circuit sounds interesting!
Cheers
FollowupID: 398914

Reply By: H2O - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:58

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:58
Chaz,
The torque converter does lock and unlock which doesn't bother me but it is dropping into 3rd which is giving me the sh*ts. A few days ago I did some driving without the trailer and it was dropping down gears when I didn't think it should be. If I turned cruise off I would increase the speed by 2kms before the hill and it would glide up without dropping down - but not on cruise.
Justin
AnswerID: 145237

Follow Up By: Chaz - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 18:22

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 18:22
Justin,
I'm not sure if it would help, but have you tried driving in a different mode? Perhaps if you used the "Hold" mode it wouldn't drop down a gear. I tend to leave my mode switch in the centre (A/T) position because since fitting the shift kit, mine changes better with the mode switch off. If you are using the Power mode, then try switching it off. Personally, mine didn't feel any different in Power mode, but it did hold it's gear in Hold mode, although I tend to drive it manually in hilly country or when towing.
The Dtronic did improve its hill climbing ability with the extra torque, and I'm sure you wouldn't be sorry you fitted one.
FollowupID: 398823

Sponsored Links