Bedourie Oven Modifications

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 22:15
ThreadID: 29096 Views:3926 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I wanted to convert my Bedourie to a stove top oven. After a few tries, I succeeded, and it works a real treat.

In essence, all I really did was to raise the trivet up to around 70 mm. off the bottom, and raise the lid by 25 mm to allow convection. Nothing burns, it works fine on a gas ring, in the open, and whatever we put in there, works a treat.

The main reason was to have an oven we could use in the summertime, without contravening National Parks Fire regulations. Now we have done this, we use this as our Friday arrive at camp late tool. Whack in some cold pasities & pies, 10 minutes, and scoff 'em down. I am not exaggerating on the 10 minute thing either, that's all it takes.

Cheers

Wolfie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:25

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:25
Thanks for that Wolfie,

Seems like a beaut set-up and would be more versatile than the Cobb I'm guessing.

When I have watched other people using the Bedourie around the camp-fire, it always seems to be a bit of a drama getting the handle/lifting sequence just right. Has it been your experience that the handle set-up is okay? Maybe it just takes a bit of getting used to and the blokes I've seen haven't had sufficient practice?

Would appreciate your thoughts and those of other owners too, please.

Cheers

Roachie (ex Cobb-er)
AnswerID: 145186

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:57

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:57
Hi Roachie,

We like using the Bedouries. You need to flip the wire handles out before using it.

I use it by slipping a few coals in a hole, then a bunch of coals on top. To check how its going, I lift the lid with welders gloves (if you're careful, leave the coals on top). To remove the Bedourie, I use a long billie hook and drag it out.

I store it in a bag (lid outside base) with a bunch of billies inside.

We mainly use it for roasts, pizzas and the odd casserole. The smaller Bedourie is OK for a couple. The bigger Bedourie for a family.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 398711

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 17:38

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 17:38
Hmmm

We like the Dutch Ovens(no relation lol)

You can buy trivets for them at camping shops

Works a treat on a gas stove.

Good to see you keeping the grey matter working, Wolfie :o)

A lovely Christmas and New Year to you and Tracey from both of us
AnswerID: 145294

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 18:11

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 18:11
Thank you Willem, and our regards to both you & Judith.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 398810

Sponsored Links