In Car Navigation - Ozi / Tom Tom / PDA

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:35
ThreadID: 29075 Views:4772 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I'm after a bit of advice about in car nav systems. Not Toorak Tractor sat nav, but gps connected to a pocket pc or laptop running software.

I already have a Magellan Meridian Gold, and plan to use this but connected to what?
Initially l thought of getting a pocket pc with a 4inch VGA screen and running this with Ozi Expl CE and scanned maps etc. A pocket pc with vga screen is top end of pda's at about $1000 plus and l have also been told that vga screen is not necessary, standard (TFT - ??) screen is ok.

I've also seen a guy in our club with a laptop mounted in the car (rear area) and a small-laptop sized touch screen display up front also with a meridian gps. I assume he is running Ozi Explorer.

In mid2006, we plan a trip from Melb to Uluru, are maps available for Ozi on CD or will l have to scan and calibrate manually?

Does the new Magellan software release (Desert tracks or whatever) have enough detail for bush touring in Victoria and the trip to Uluru? Will it work on a pocket pc - l suspect not.

Has anybody used the pda sized Tom Tom navigator. Is this only bitumen based mapping?

So what is the better decision for functionality:
Is Ozi Expl CE as powerful as Ozi for PC?
The benefit of a bigger screen is obvious.

Any thoughts on the issues raised above would be helpful, as would what systems you guys have that are successful.
Where can l buy a complete bespoke package in Melbourne (Eltham) area? Columbus navigation used to be near here, but doesn't seem contactable.
Cheers
Beast Of Bodmin

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:34

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:34
Hi Beast of Bodmin

I run a Garmin GPS not maps on it to a thinkpad laptop and used the Hema Desert maps on our last 4WD trip to the Centre. That included the Oodnadatta Track, the Old Ghan Track, Dalhousie, Boggy Hole, Palm Valley and across the Gulf. The Maps were acurate and fine to navigate with. Also have NATMAP Raster 2005 which give abit more detail. The system works well and you can also add the UBD street directories from all over Australia. All are available from the shop on line (some on back order Dave's selling too many)

My son uses a pocket PC connected to a USB GPS. His limitation is that he carries cards with the maps on as they don't all fit on the Pocket PC. The only maps he cannot load are the UBD street directories, he uses Oziexplorer CE and a 1gig card and TFT screen is fine

Ray
AnswerID: 145037

Follow Up By: Beast Of Bodmin - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:06

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:06
Thanks for the reply Raymond,
With the camper, l suppose there is plenty of room to store a laptop, but where & how is it mounted when your driving?

Seems the other good thing about a PC system is that you can use the vector maps like 'Hema' types. Is the Hema easy to use during travelling?

Thanks for the info
Beast Of Bodmin
FollowupID: 398699

Reply By: Member - t0me (WA) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:07

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:07
Yup, TomTom or Destinator are only of use on roads, though if its a named track then Destinator will likely have it. Destinator has better mapping than TomTom but TomTom has the better interface with more useful options and better display of info when its telling you where to go (IMO).

Add GPS-Gate (Franson) to the shopping list if you would like to run both OZI and a turn by turn package at the same time and flick between them (useful if you want to track your route along the roads too but use TomTom or Dest to get you to the offroad place).

A 1gb card will get all the maps for TomTom or Dest for AU + a large proportion of Australia in the NatMap's.
Just be sure that if you're using a PDA that you buy the fastest SD card you can get, a 66x will be OK, but a 150x would be better. They are more expensive than the standard ones you see, but they will work and not lock up all the time. Its a known issue, expecially with the XDA phones, but I've seen complaints about the slower cards in other PDA's too.
AnswerID: 145048

Follow Up By: Beast Of Bodmin - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:11

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:11
Thanks for the info.
I actually came across the CF card speed by chance when l was looking for a camera memory upgrade. Yep, it makes a huge difference.

I've not heard of Franson, so will look into that also.
Cheers
Beast Of Bodmin
FollowupID: 398700

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:18

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:18
G'day Bodmin

If you go PDA go for as much as you can afford. A high end PDA iPAQ hx4700 or Dell Axim 50/51 can be had for around the $700.00 mark or less (not on ebay) I run a iPAQ hx4700. The Dell's have a much shorter battery life than the iPAQ.

Make sure your GPS will connect to any PDA/Laptop you purchase without to much difficulty or conflicts. Can your GPS run an external antenna?

I suggest the below, including a bluetooth GPS setup.

Your PDA should have bluetooth and WiFi with both SD and CF card slots available. Have a look at Hiacomm bluetooth slipper/CF card GPS setups and get the Sirf III chipset in any GPS you purchase ( the performance difference is well worth the extra money).

PDA powered mount from Arkon, large capacity CF and SD cards ( 1gb or more but not mini hard drives, stay solid state. These will get much cheaper throughout 2006) with high transfer rates, some accessory software for the PDA such as Franson GPS gate if you wish to run more than one bluetooth GPS using program at a time along with some WiFi, SMS (if you have a bluetooth capable phone) software.

Software such as Destinator/Co Pilot for voice navigation and Ozie Explorer CE and Windows versions plus suitable digital maps.

A budget of around $2,000.00 should get you well setup leaving you with a nice learning curve.

A good starting point is Johnny Appleseed GPS and Oziexplorer

PDA software may be found at Handango and Pocket Gear Both as a quick reference as there are others

Have a Google around using " PDA + your favoutrite brand name here" " Bluetooth GPS" "Hiacomm" "Sirf III"

Also do a search here (ExploreOz). This topic is much discussed on this site.

Using a high end PDA gives you a lot of flexibility and good functionality minus the bulk of a laptop.

Doing it cheaply will only disappoint and cause frustration.

An extra $100.00 is worth the support from places such as Johnney Appleseed over the potential difficulties obtaining support for an ebay purchased product may present.

My thoughts

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 145061

Follow Up By: Beast Of Bodmin - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:02

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:02
Hi Paul,
I had a look at the Johnny Appleseed site - loads of info. Thanks for the contact.
Interestingly their hx4700 is cheaper than the 2210.

As l mentioned in the original thread. I have a magellan Meridian, there is no external antenna connection Why is an external antenna desirable for this system?

I like the iPaq's as they have a 4inch screen (a few others do too). Is this big enough to glance at while driving or even to see enough of the actual map to plan where the trip is going. What is the screen width and height in km?

Cheers
Beast Of Bodmin
FollowupID: 398697

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 00:04

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 00:04
G'day

The external antenna requirement is to enable your GPS to have a good view of the sky and enable more locations in which to place the GPS within the vehicle. I have an emap and it tends to lose NAV in treed (? spelling) areas and folliage. An external antenna / Sirf III chipsets can assist greatly with this problem.

My next purchase/learning curve is Oziexplorer CE. I have the windows version. I believe the CE version is zoomable like the Windows version so the area viewed would be subject to zoom settings.

I picked up my hx4700 in a stock runout/new owner sale quite cheap. The JA price is generally competative along with his bundle (hardware/software) pricing so shop carefully if going the PDA path with navigation software options.

Have fun and a Safe and Happy Christmas.

Regards

Paul
FollowupID: 398712

Reply By: slow mower - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 14:36

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 14:36
Hi Bodmin. Some sound advice from some knowledgeable people. I'm suprised that NO ONE thought to recommend GPS OZ. They not only advertise (and support) this site/forum, but also offer great advice, support and better still VERY competitive pricing. Have a look, you won't be sorry.... GPS OZ Cheers
AnswerID: 145074

Follow Up By: Beast Of Bodmin - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:12

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:12
Thanks for the link
Beast Of Bodmin
FollowupID: 398701

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 21:47

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 21:47
hi Beast Of Bodmin
Is this a trick Question
snailbate
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 145168

Follow Up By: Beast Of Bodmin - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 22:10

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 22:10
Hi Snailbate,
Doesn't sound like one does it?

Just trying to get an idea what options are available and try to avoid problems others are having.
There's always comments that somebody cannot get Ozi Expl to work with XYZ.

If l'm going to spend a couple of grand on a system, ld rather get some background info first rather than waste money.

So explain..........

Cheers
Beast of Bodmin

FollowupID: 398684

Reply By: arthurking83 - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 22:08

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 22:08
Hi Beast of Bodmin,
I have the DiscoverAus topo maps from Magellan, and in a word the detail is "awesome" (best $400 I spent).

You already have a capable GPS, so there's no need for Navigator or TomTom...etc!!

The POI database in the DAST topo maps is great, and while your GPSr can't do auto-routing, I hardly thoink you're going to need it on the Uluru trip! :)

The only problem with the DAST topo maps, At The Moment, is there is no PC software yet!
This was due in Dec '05 :)) but! has now been delayed till about Feb '06.

If you had DAST (with the PC software) you wouldn't need any other mapping software!
(You may WANT other mapping software, like Oziexplorer, only for use with picture maps!)

I'm currently using DAST v1 and you can use this for moving map (on a laptop) in the car if you need to.
My idea is/was to run an old (broken screen) laptop using one of those touch screens you mentioned (around $300) as the front end to DAST or Ozi.
(Of course I have oziexplorer too!)

If you want to save money, get DAST topo(and wait for the PC software, will be sent out to you by Magellan??) you will get all of Aus on a map.
Or spend more money on a PDA?? then the software and the maps........ and have virtually the smae thing (but prettier pictures!)

There are some bugs I found with DST topo and my MeriColor, if I use firmware v5.40, but it seems fine now that I've gone back to fw5.36.

If you want more info on Magellan stuff (of what I know) come see us at GPSAustralia

And there are tons of free maps available for your trip (and more). You may need broadband though! Do you get it in Eltham ;-)

AnswerID: 145172

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 07:43

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 07:43
Hi Beast of Bodmin

The Hema maps were easy to use on Oziexplorer and we found that with the map up on the screen we went to places we would have missed ie not sign posted and also took several interesting short cuts on the trip we just did.

The laptop in the ute was secured in a holder on the back wall and we had a 7 inch screen attached to the mirror.

With the room in the new unit it will sit on a table between the front seats

Have a great trip
Ray
AnswerID: 145210

Sponsored Links