x-trail gearbox

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:21
ThreadID: 29073 Views:10936 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
i have bought a x-trail recently and after a couple of months have been getting hooked into 4WDriving.

The x-trail of course doesn't have a low gearing, so i've dedicated myself to stick with the soft 4WD and try to get a low gearing box for it, maybe of the Grand Vitara.

Would any one know of a low transfer case that would fit in the x-trail??

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Christopher from Suzuki 4WD Club of Victoria - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:25

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:25
Accept it's limitations or sell it and buy a 4wd like the GV.
AnswerID: 145001

Reply By: hoyks - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:31

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:31
I agree. You will be better off selling it and getting into something else, even if it is a few years older than turning the X-trail into Son of Frankenstein. It will be asking it to do something it was never really designed to do and you are looking at big $$ to fix the short comings.

How about some more aggressive tyres and accept the short comings for now?
AnswerID: 145036

Reply By: Fusion - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:50

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:50
G'day Muddy,

I used to have an entrail, brilliant car, but when I started getting into serious 4 wheeling I sold it and bought a Patrol Turbo Diesel. That is after almost burning out the clutch on some rock crawling around a headland, and almost getting drowned with the 4wd system cutting in and out in soft sand on an incoming tide.

I would have loved to get the car lifted a bit, and have low ratio gears put on it, but as has been mentioned it wasn't designed for serious offroad work and would most likely fail in other areas. I'd highly recommend looking for a 4by designed for serious offroad work. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

Having said that, I do still have a set of 4 x 15 inch rims (standard x-trail rims & hubcaps) with Yokohama Geolanders on them. I used to put them on for offroading. I'm looking to sell them if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Aaron.
AnswerID: 145056

Reply By: flappa - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:55

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:55
It wont really work will it ?

Isn't the Xtrail full of lecky trickery that makes it 4wd on demand , rather then a select 4wd or constant 4wd.

Adding low gears wont matter a jot , if , as described above , it slips in and out of 4wd.

I doubt adding a transfer box would be even possible.
AnswerID: 145059

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:01

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:01
Normal 4WD (offroad variety): engine:gearbox:transfer case:front and rear shafts:diffs:axles:wheels.

XTrail: engine:gearbox:(internal shaft to front diff)diff:front shafts:wheels

Where are you going to mount the transfer case? In between the gearbox and internal front diff?

Don't think so.....
AnswerID: 145060

Follow Up By: hoyks - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:25

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:25
What he said.
And didn't some silly bugger put the engine in sideways? That would stop you fitting just about any dual range transfer case that I know of.
FollowupID: 398576

Reply By: vitara - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:24

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:24
Muddy X refer to post 28996, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN mate, as said already on previous post and by the people above that have replyed sell it and buy a vehicle for what it is meant for. Yes they are a great soft off roader but as you mentioned before about chewing bearings out on the alternator I reckon that is also telling you something, I have never had to do the bearings in my alternator at such low klms from injestion from mud, my brushes were rs thats the only reason I had to replace myn, once only it is now coming up for 300 000klms. You are going to destroy the xtrail and it will be worth zilch, sell it before you do any major damage and buy a proper 4wd as in low range/transfer case pathfinder, challenger, suzuki,hilux, 4 runner if you want something about that size, otherwise you jump up to patrol/landcruiser size. There are heaps of grand vitaras around V6 2.5L or go the 2L both very reliable and very capable and you can get alot of parts for them if required except Im quit sure they no longer make a snorkel for the Vitara's any more. Decide what you want to do with it, eg rock hopping, just on the beach, or the occasional water crossing, etc then buy to suit your needs. Xtrails are in the catorgory as holden cruise, toyota's rav 4, ford escape, mazda tribute, suburu forrester etc they are for the beach,sand,fire trails, not for trying to plough through mud the depth as your bonnett. Dont like to see some one destroy a 30k + vehicle trying to make it do what it's not meant for. BUY A NEW 4BY BEFORE YOU KILL THE XTRAIL Regards Vitara
AnswerID: 145064

Reply By: ShnogDog - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:57

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:57
Muddy,

Gee you must like that x-trail. Just like your post regarding the snorkel, I think your wasting your time and money. UPGRADE TO A MORE CAPABLE 4WD !!!

Mark
AnswerID: 145068

Follow Up By: Dekard05 - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:27

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:27
Who says X-Trails can't fly!!!

Hope the link works, a friend of mine on the dunes at Lancelin, WA.

Dekard

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/Dekard05/air.jpg

FollowupID: 398707

Follow Up By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Saturday, Dec 24, 2005 at 20:04

Saturday, Dec 24, 2005 at 20:04
Hey Dekard - love the picture - do you know how it was done?

Jeff
FollowupID: 398989

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Dec 24, 2005 at 23:26

Saturday, Dec 24, 2005 at 23:26
at a guess it was done with photoshop
FollowupID: 399011

Follow Up By: jalalski - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 00:07

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 00:07
Hi Dekard,

I'm fascianted by the flying xtrail photo you have posted of your mate and was wondering if you can put me in touch with him through the tralian X-Trail Forum[/a] if you don't mind. Can you please ask him to email me at:

admin@australianxtrail.com

I'm the head admin there.

Thanks a lot for your help.
FollowupID: 403274

Follow Up By: jalalski - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 00:15

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 00:15
Sorry for the spelling mistakes above. My first post on this forum and I didn't realize I can't edit posts here :)

Let’s try it again shall we? LOL

Hi Dekard,

I'm fascinated by the flying xtrail photo you have posted of your mate and was wondering if you can put me in touch with him through the Australian X-Trail Forum if you don't mind. Can you please ask him to email me at:

admin@australianxtrail.com

I'm the head admin there.

Thanks a lot for your help.
FollowupID: 403276

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 02:14

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 02:14
What is the limit you are willing to waste on this truck?

IMHO the others are all correct.

But if you want to go the whole hog, it will set you back $10k+ by the time you replace everything to allow you to have low range, you will have to find a gearbox that fits, then have it custom fitted to the car, then holes in the floor for shifter and the new gearbox shifter, then the different tailshafts, then the new front end to accomodate this, + new cross members, + engineers then go try and get an engineers for it.

Then you will end up with something that owes you a GU, and you will get VW Beetle price for, and still wont be as much use as a Zook.

YMMV.
AnswerID: 145199

Sponsored Links