Update on AMSOIL logevity with Dual Bypass system

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 20:42
ThreadID: 29059 Views:2051 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
G'day blokes,
Just got email from Castrol Laboratory with the results of my oil sample. I have now done over 17,000klm since I last changed my oil.....now using Amsoil 100% synthetic 15w40 and all is going well. All the indexes are well within tolerance, so I will still not need to change the oil for some time to come at this stage.
The report issues as an Adobe file and I can't seem to find any way of cutting/copying and pasting, so that you can see for yourselves. They give you the report with each of the previous reports (in my case there are 3 altogether now), so that you directly compare things like presence of various metals, glycol, soot etc.
My first 2 samples were corrupted due to my own ineptitude (ie: stupidity), so this is really the first sample that I've done "by the book".
I have no financial interest in Amsoil etc , but I can thoroughly recommend the concept of by-pass filtration. Note that this system doe NOT use the so-called "toilet roll" filters.
Cheers
Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:14

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:14
So do u have a target in mind ? Or will you keep doing tests until you get bad results?
AnswerID: 144936

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:28

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:28
G'day Brew,
Not sure mate, but I don't think I'd push my luck beyond 30,000klm. I'll get the next check done at around 23000/24000 and if all is still okay I will probably leave it in there until it's done the 30,000 and then then drop it regardless.....to be replaced by the 5w30 that I bought a few months ago.
The Amsoil cost me $8-/litre, but it's still cheaper if it lasts this long and the other good thing is that I don't have to crawl under the old girl every 6 weeks or so and change the oil.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 398456

Follow Up By: Axle - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:35

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:35
Hello Roachie
Change oil mate. when index shows up outside tolerance damage is done. Like some engine water temperator sensors.. No water guage does not change. result Stuffed motor.
Regards Axle.
FollowupID: 398457

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:49

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:49
G'day Axle,
Thanks for your concern mate, but the oil is not showing ANY signs of deteroration to date. In fact some of the readings have actually improved by 0.1% or so. This could have something to do with the filter change I have done a month or so ago.
I know what you mean about the water analogy (that's why I've fitted an Engine Saver Low Water Alarm a few months ago).....and that is exactly WHY I am having these analyses done at regular intervals......just like the big trucking companies are doing. They have long ago realised the benefits of stretching out servicing intervals (less costs and less down-time).
The Amsoil bloke I've been dealing with has a GQ ute which has done over 180,000klm and has only had the oil changed 3 times since he bought it new.....it runs beautifully.
Cheers mate and Merry Christmas
Roachie
FollowupID: 398462

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:24

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:24
Sound’s like it is going well. What would have been a good test is to send a sample of the Pre Amsoil system Oil off for a test after say 10,000k’s and see how that staked up and to see how bugged it was, would of given you an idea about how much the new set-up has achieved. Too late now but.

What sort of filters do they use, I.E like a Centrifugal separator alongside a fine grade oil filter,??

Just interested, as the old man’s jus brought a XR6t falcon and the change intervals are 15,000 or 1 year, Don’t know what filters they run as he hasn’t got it yet but I find 15,000 a little high, if there is nothing special about the system. The 1-year interval is more what I have a problem with considering His would only see 12,500 a year. 1-oil change a year Humm.. Bring on the sludge.

Might get a test done after 15,000k’s or 1 year for him, and if it’s all bad I will let ford have it

AnswerID: 144939

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:36

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:36
Yeh mate, I think some new vehicles are quoting oil change intervals of 20,000klm or more!!!

The Amsoil jobbie uses 2 filters on a remote head unit. There is an adaptor plate which takes the place of one of the standard filters that my 4.2 Patrol normally uses. That adaptor plate has 2 hose connections (in and out) and you run the 2 hoses away to the remote head unit. This remote unit has provision for 2 filters; a "normal" type filter about the same size as a Z9 type and then the bigger ByPass filter as well. There is a system which uses a largish ball-bearing and a spring. The idea is that most oil will go through the ordinary filter, but a small amount will be constantly being directed through the larger, much finer filter (down to 1 micron....the size of the particles in cigarette smoke!!!). This takes out the soot and even now, I can wipe the dipstick through my fingers and there is no stain left...the oil simply wipes off onto a cloth etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 398459

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:03

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:03
Year I Know, It might just be me but 20,000k’s on the same oil without a system like yours in place doesn’t sit right with me.

Might have a read about the system on the web, Got a Website for them or is it just www.amsoil.com ?

Sounds like the sort set-up on (only on a smaller scale) that the Small LOL v16 run at work, 2 centrifugal filters, 4 big basted filters and 4 smaller filters, Takes 275-litres of oil per engine uses about 500Litres/per hour at 1850RPM at 50PSI boost. (Marine Diesel’s)
FollowupID: 398468

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:10

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:10
Amsoil.....it's a yankee outfit
FollowupID: 398471

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:36

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:36
Roachie

I use bleep s Synthetic oil and change the oil and both filters every 5000km. This costs $65. Are you trying to save momey by running your system for longer periods or is it just curious experimentation?

Can't help you with PDF either...just as dumb....hahahahahahahaha

Cheers mate
AnswerID: 144942

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:42

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:42
Willie,
Just trying to find the best way to manage the life of my vehicle's motor and at the same time, minimise the amount of time I have lie on my back under the old girl with my tool in my hand.!!!! hehehehe
The plan is to keep this truck for many years and at 170,000klm I don't consider it to be even on the downhill run yet!!
I accept that there are initial costs, especially with the analysis of the samples (I bought a box of 10 kits for $30- each, so $300- up front, but these will provide me with enough insight as to how many klicks I can get realistically from my oil). If I do the 4th test in about 7,000klm time and then dump that oil in a further 7,000klm (without bothering with a test perhaps), then i will still have 6 kits to use to send away samples of the thinner 5w30 oil which will be replacing the current oil.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 398461

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:52

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:52
Hi Roachie,

JUst a question. Why are you going to change to a different viscosity oil??

Also getting under every few weeks is a good way to check out everything else.

Anyway yours sits that hihg you could just get one of the kids to walk under and check everything out.
AnswerID: 144947

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:17

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:17
G'day David and seaon's greetings mate,

It was a bit of a toss-up whether to buy the runnier oil instead of just another lot of 15w40, I must admit. The bloke who I deal with is using 5w30 in his GQ............in fact he uses it in most compartments of that vehicle.....engine, gearbox, transfer case and both diffs. I drew the line at THAT idea at this stage. He reckons it'll actually improve fuel economy because of the lower drag co-efficient....meaning the motor (and in his case all the other moving parts) have less friction.
The fuel economy isn't my main reason for changing, but less friction should mean less wear, so that's what got me interested.

I do still crawl under for a goose's gander at the underbelly of the beast from time to time....just to marvel at the quality of the big Nissan product!!!! What was that I was saying about having my tool in hand??? hahahah
Cya mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 398473

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:21

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:21
Well besides beer and the missus crawling under the beast is up there with the best of things.
FollowupID: 398474

Reply By: age - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:28

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:28
Hi Roachie

Re PDF - download Adobe Reader 7 free from Adobe website. Has a pretty good OCR (Optical Character Recognition) tool in it and can paste results into Wordpad as a .txt file (or even maybe Word). Will double check at work tomorrow and repost more instructions. If the PDF is "clean" there are lots of freebie OCR programs out there that do well with PDF's

Good luck with oil and have a merry and safe Xmas

Cheers

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:29

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:29
Hello Roachie,
I know you've covered this before, but what brand are your filters and where did you get them from?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 144954

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:43

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:43
G'day Geoff,
They are from Amsoil too. I have a local bloke down the bottom-end of the Yorke Peninsula (between Yorketown and Stansbury) that imports stuff from them...mainly for his own farm gear (headers, tractors etc), but he also onsells to others around the area.
I am using the SDF15 "normal" filter and the BE100 "Bypass" filter.
site which shows filters and dual head fiters systems
FollowupID: 398479

Reply By: Twinkles - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 23:32

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 23:32
with regards to the pdf. if you open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader (free to download), you can choose a tool on the toolbar called 'snapshot tool' (a little camera with a dotted line round it), select the area you want to copy and then paste as a graphic into 'word'.
AnswerID: 144963

Reply By: GUPatrol - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 00:18

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 00:18
Roachie,

Did your truck come with two same oil filters or different ones?
If your model has different ones which filter does the amsoil kit fit to?

The reason why I ask, is that my TD42T came with one full flow and one bypass filter (one has a wide mouth), Nissan went back to the old GQ system later on (two same filters both full flow).

I would like to add the amsoil system to the bypass side on mine.
Thanks

Will
AnswerID: 144969

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 07:47

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 07:47
G'day Will,
Mine has the 2 different filters....the one closest to the front of the motor is what they call their "bypass" filter. With the set-up I've fitted, it is the back filter which gets removed. The remaining Nissan bypass filter won't need to be changed for say 100,000klm or so as the big Amsoil bypass filter takes out much more soot and chit than the Nissan filter would.
If it is your intention to screw the Amsoil bypass filter straight onto the motor in place of the Nissan bypass filter, I can't say whether the thread size would be the same or whether that sort of set-up would work. The thread on the BE series (90,100 & 110) filters is a larger size than standard as is the thread on the Nissan bypass, so maybe they are the same. However, I'm not sure whether the protruding bit of pipe that exists on the Nissan's motor in the middle of the threaded spigot that the bypass filter screws onto, would have any bearing on the success of that proposal.
I think the BE90 would be the only filter that would have any hope of fitting into the available space there anyway.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 398510

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 08:41

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 08:41
Roachie,

Thanks for the reply.
No I was just thinking of getting the same setup you have but I was hoping that it was the front filter that got replaced instead of the simple Z9 one.
What kit did you use and where did you get it from?

Thanks again
Will
FollowupID: 398523

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:25

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 13:25
G'day Will,
I'm not too keen on posting this bloke's details on the net for all the world to see.....he is a farmer and oyster grower first and foremost and only dabbles in the Amsoil side of things part time. We have had him as a guest speaker at one of our 4wd Club meetings and he is VERY knowledgeable about oils in general.
If you were a Member, I would be happy to send you a Member Message with his phone number, but if you'd like to give me a call on 0414 890 148, I'd be happy to let you know his number.
I'm not sure whether he would be interested in packaging-up stuff to go to other parts of Australia, but even if not, then he may have the details of other importers of Amsoil product/s.
Unfortunately, their website specifically states that they do not deal with overseas orders, only USA and Canada (otherwise you could just order it yourself).
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 398575

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 02:57

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 02:57
G'day Roachie , seasons greetings . I notice you emphasize that your bypass system is NOT toilet roll "bisso" . What is the advantages of your filter as "agin" the dunny roll filter ??
AnswerID: 144981

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 07:57

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 07:57
G'day Brian,
I don't feel qualified to say too much about the toilet roll set-up as I have never even seen it, let alone use it. However, if the system uses a roll of paper similar to a real toilet roll, then I'd be concerned that bits of the paper could breakaway and get clogged in the motor somewhere.
The type of filter I use is, for all intents and purposes, normal looking and has normal internals, just that it is of different components which provide MUCH better filtration.
I certainly don't want to slag-off at the others (eg: FRANTZ) as they are probably very good systems too and I know a couple of forumites use that particular set-up and are very happy with it.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 398516

Reply By: Dilligaf - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 22:59

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 22:59
LC100 160,000 km bought new had 5 oil changes
run on Mobil Delvac 1 with Baldwin bypass filter
change 40,000 km
change filters 20,000 km and top up oil
the trucks all go 60,000 km between oil changes
change filters 30,000 km and top up oil
AnswerID: 145180

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:29

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 23:29
Thanks for that insight mate.
Is the Baldwin bypass filter a straight replacement of the original filter, or have you installed a remote system too?
Do you get oil analysis done along the way?
When you say..Quote: "the trucks all go 60,000 km between oil changes
change filters 30,000 km and top up oil".....what sort of trucks are you referring to...(prime movers etc?)
Thanks again

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 398708

Sponsored Links