Advice on wiring up a fridge and work lamp.

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 19:19
ThreadID: 29056 Views:2606 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I want to wire up a power socket for my engel 60lt fridge and wire a work light to the top of my tray. Do I run the lead from the main battery (dual batt setup)? And should I run two seperate wires from the battery or will the one be ok and split it at the tray?

Thanks
Gareth
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike DiD - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 19:26

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 19:26
Just run a single wire from battery to the sockets.

You MUST have a fuse at the battery which must be no more amps than the rating on the wire, in case there is a short anywhere along the wire.

You could put additional fuses to each socket, so that if the worklight shorts out, the fridge keeps going.

Mike

AnswerID: 144910

Follow Up By: samsgoneagain - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:03

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:03
get it done right. pay someone who knows. ie auto electrician. you cant afford to mess with subjects like beer and steak!!
FollowupID: 398467

Reply By: 4145derek - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 19:48

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 19:48
Run 50amp twin core wire from the aux battery and don't try earthing off the tray.

Use a auto reset breaker close to the battery rated at 50 amps and use fused sockets on the tray. Best to buy marine grade if they are in the weather.

Regards Derek
AnswerID: 144915

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:52

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 21:52
I like it, hard core. Probally a little over kill though, but would be good!
You could get away with a single 6mm cable fused at the battery and earth to the chasis. That would certainaly do the trick. If you have an ally tray don't earth to that as the ally will corode and it not a good contact at the best of time.
FollowupID: 398463

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:25

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:25
Gareth. I suggest running twin double insulated 6mm cable (or bigger) from the auxillary battery through a waterproof 30 amp spade fuse holder connected directly to the terminal. Keep the wiring as short as possible to minimise voltage drop. Ideally this could connect into a heavy duty power outlet then be looped out & run to a 2nd plug for the lights. (4mm would be ok for lights)(clipsal 32 volt plugs are excellent). Avoid cigarette lighter type plugs as they vibrate out & often melt.
Running the earth wire from the battery eliminates poor connections through the body work particually over time when things start to rust.
The fuse at the battery should be no larger than what your load usage requires enuring that if the positive wire was to rub through onto the body it will blow & not set fire to the wiring. A 20 amp fuse should carry the load fine.

On my own 4by I've taken it one step further by running 16mm twin cable from the battery in through the cab then out to the rear bumper into an Anderson plug. This is either an external power point for assesories or power into the caravan. I've then tee'd off the main cable at various points for power to the CB's, HF, fridge, light plugs, compressor, GPS, shower & diff locks. Individual spade fusing of the appropiate size is fitted where I tee off. This system minimises voltage drop & mutliple runs of wire along the car.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 144951

Reply By: Mike DiD - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:47

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:47
It must be the Christmas spirit - if only it could be like this 52 weeks a year :-).

A post on electrical matters and -

- everyone is agreeing

- there's no bad blood

Mike
AnswerID: 144957

Follow Up By: Member - Gareth B (VIC) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 04:58

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 04:58
Yes everyone is tanked :-D
FollowupID: 398501

Sponsored Links