Making a rear window relay for Hilux

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 16:21
ThreadID: 29052 Views:1441 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All & Merry Christmas!

As I am sure you would be aware, the rear window relays were poorly designs and cost bucket loads to replace ( 2nd hand ones start @ ~ $150, newies go for up to $600!!!) ..... that's IF you can find them!

I heard on the grapevine that you can create your own relay(s) for the rear window and divert all the other functions relatively easily. however, getting the instructions from the grapevine is nearly as hard as finding a good working relay!

Would you guys know how to make one or do you know the grapevine where I can look and suceed in finding instructions??

Thanks in advance

Rob

(ps thought Id better mention I have a '94 model 3.0L petrol 4Runner with the light blue relay)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike DiD - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 19:28

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 19:28
Are these electrically operated windows ?

I assume there is an UP/DOWN switch on the dash ?
AnswerID: 144911

Follow Up By: thRobbo - Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 14:22

Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 at 14:22
Yep Electrically operated. There is an up down switch ( with a lock out button ) on the console, I have bypassed this and tapped into the circuit at the loom at the rear of the car. There is a key operated switch in the tail gate that will open the window with the ignition off, that doesnt work either, Ive checked the fuses and the power wire by mutlimetre and they're OK. Ive pulled the tailgate apart and put 12v straight into the electric motor from the battery and the motor is fine. Just a dead ( and expensive(again)) relay. Ive considered "making one from two" but just need the instructions on whats what. The relay also controls the rear wiped, wiper squirter and demister.
FollowupID: 398583

Sponsored Links