Travelling the River Murray

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 22:09
ThreadID: 29039 Views:4526 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In May I am contemplating travelling from the Hume Dam down the Murray with my wife. I am not sure if this the appropriate forum, but maybe someone can help me out with some advice and information. I plan to buy a Quintrex 185 explorer with a 15 hp Mariner motor. Would this be suitable? What can I expect eg how long will it take me, how much fuel will I need to carry, and I would appreciate any other general information. Thanks in advance.
Vin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 02:03

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 02:03
Vin, that's a long trip you're planning there. I have travelled upriver from Goolwa for 180 km and we did not even come close to the first lock. I believe there are at least four of these.
If you did not already get one I would recommend the 'Murray River Pilot', a small booklet that's available from SA map shops. This has detailed distance information and strip maps, as well as lots of useful info for the river traveller.

I had met two blokes in Goolwa that came downriver a very long way ( forgot now how far and how long it took them) in a 18' open power boat which was chock a block with gear and fuel cans. They looked a bit weary :-)

You will have to find out about lock opening times and such, you did not say how far downriver you are actually planning to travel.
You would not be able to carry all the fuel required and you may not expect petrol stations right next to the river. So you need some method of fetching fuel, carrying it down steep banks and getting it aboard without breaking your back.

Ditto for your provisions. I have no idea of the layout of your proposed boat, I hope you can sleep aboard in reasonable comfort. We found most of the land on the lower Murray has big signs "Private, NO Trespassing". We tied up to the willows and slept aboard in comfort on the 26' yacht.

Do get the riverlands map CD in the 1:50.000 scale if you use a GPS and Oziexplorer for navigation, this goes up to the border of SA. Not sure what's available for further upriver in electronic navigation.

That far upriver there would be many shallow sections for you to get stuck on, you need to do a lot of research and allow plenty of time.

Good luck

Klaus
AnswerID: 144801

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:05

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:05
Hi Vin

This site will give you information on the lock etc
http://www.savethemurray.com/facts_locks_weirs_and_river_regulation.php

Regards Ray
AnswerID: 144806

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:42

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:42
I think from memory, it's all about say... 2500 km.

Takes 8 weeks in a kayak.

There are filling stations on the way, but they can be a little hard to discern from the waters edge. As someone rightfully advised, get a copy of the Murray Pilot. It's old, and hasn't been updated for around 30 years, but it'll do.

You are going to have waaaaay too much fun!!!!

Wolfie
AnswerID: 144809

Reply By: Blackie - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 13:53

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 13:53
You need to get hold of the River Murray Charts.
See their website.

www.rivermurraycharts.com.au

AnswerID: 144865

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 18:08

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 18:08
I'm much more experienced at sea than of the river but I lived in the Goolwa area for years.
At journey's end you may choose to cross the lakes.
Select your weather carefully with some local advice if you can get it. Shallow water and strong winds = steep waves which are close together and continuous.
Not lots of fun!

Camper
AnswerID: 144893

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 18:33

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 18:33
Did the Hume weir wall to Yarrawonga in 1968 on a raft [shades of Tom Sawyer] made of 5x 44 gallon drums and pieces of 3x2 ,,were 4 of us none older than 16 ,trip took 21 days/ nights ,middle of summer ,can still "feel" the sun burn , have never and will never eat redfin again LOL.
AnswerID: 144900

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:56

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:56
Gaday Vin. Would suggest a 25 or 30 hp engine would be the go. When carrying a bit of camping gear & extra fuel the additional weight would make it hard to get up on the plane. We went into lake Eyre by boat 200 km down the Warburton river & found the Vee nose flat bottom boats the best. Plenty of refueling options to start but after Echuca you'd either need fuel drops or to carry extra tanks. We loaded the boat right up & did a fuel economy run first to see what our range was. Boat normally planes at around 25 to 35 kph so going on Lone Wolfs estimated 2500km (check if thats from Hume weir) it would take about 84 hours. Thats a real sore backside :-))
Also concider a 4 stoke motor for better economy. A bit heavier but around 30%+ more efficient. Other issue if you are doing it without a back up crew will be to get the boat around the weirs. (Lake Yarawonga, Torrumbarry). Take a spare prop as well. Lots of logs. We smashed 5.
Sound like a great trip, have fun,
cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 144959

Sponsored Links