CREB Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 20:39
ThreadID: 29034 Views:1798 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I will be heading down the CREB track either this week or between Xmas and new year. Would like to tag along with other cars rather than going it alone. If you are interested in having some company on the track for added assistance if required please ring me on 0408231776 to arrange time and place to meet.

Thanks Daryl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 22:35

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 22:35
Mate

Beautiful drive, great fun, but....if it's wet...definately don't do it alone and...even if you go with someone else and it's wet....I'd wait till it's dry!

Keep the shiney side up!

have a good one.
AnswerID: 144783

Reply By: Turbo Diesel - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:24

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:24
I just flew over it in the rain two weeks ago, seen it before on the ground but have not driven the whole track. Make sure you have company, check out 4wdmonthly cape york adventure and see what you think.
AnswerID: 144820

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:09

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:09
We drove it south to north in September when it was dry. A very nice drive and by no way challenging. BUT I would hate to do it in the wet. It is clay based road through the hills and you would slip and slide all over the place. Check before you go to see if it is open - there are gates both ends.

AnswerID: 144831

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 14:10

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 14:10
G'day S.S 42,

I tried it in the wet (ran out of time and had to head home) didn't even get past the first decent climb past Roaring Meg Falls, tyre pressures down to 15, weighed well over 3tn, on cooper ST's just coudn't get traction, whilst reversing back down was stupid and touched the brakes ( was getting up too much speed ) instantly stalled the motor, so jumped on the anchors and locked all 4 wheels, it continued to slide a full car length and a half at just over walking pace before coming to a stop in the gutter.

This is just to give you an idea on how slippery it can get, if it is even mildly wet don't do it! Even if you are with another vehicle.
Ask the 4by and/or the dirt bike shops in Cairns before heading out that way.
If it's dry, it's no problem on your own as long as you have all the correct safety and recovery gear.

Avagoodn
Pezza

AnswerID: 144870

Reply By: DesC - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2005 at 13:51

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2005 at 13:51
GET A SET OF CHAINS AND YOU'LL DO IT EASY
AnswerID: 145713

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2005 at 20:40

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2005 at 20:40
Des
I did from north to south in the wet rained for three day and drizzle on the day we did it.
One vehicle a Datsun 720 king-cab Ute, IPF,standard diffs,2.2l petrol and a set of super diggers, but a set of chains on the rear and had no problems (if you have a look at this pic you might just see the chains)

We got around haft way and started to chicken out when we bumped in a guy called Mike he's address was pole number 98 CREB track,
He said he was going to Cairns the next day and if we have any problems just to stop and he would get as the next day, He had an International Scout with duels on the rear with chains and had never been stopped by the track.

So we went on and lived to tell the story
I've also done it once in the dry

this was back in the 80's and I was a lot younger

Richard
FollowupID: 399240

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 14:22

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 14:22
Using chains in the 70's was common. I wouldn't recommend it now, as the WTMA will most likely close the track permanently if there is too much damage.

FollowupID: 399390

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 21:52

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 21:52
David, if conditions are such that the use of chains is warranted, then a _correctly driven_ vehicle fitted with chains will do far less damage than one without them....
This misconception that chains cause damage is similar to the ol' "trailers in the desert" argument, but we won't go there, will we;-)))....

Regards, Ed.C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 399440

Reply By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 22:11

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 22:11
I am not arguing that the chains do the damage.
The argument is any vehicle will do damage if the track is that wet. If you need chains you shouldn't be driving on it- simple.

The question is simpe. Do I need to go there?

The trailer argument is much the same :-)
Do I need my trailer that much. :-)

Yes you will be safer driving with chains. The question is if the track is torn up, by vehicles driving it in the wet, will we be able to defend our "right" (?) to drive on the track, once it is closed by those who believe no vehicle should be in there. (and there are thousands of those people).
AnswerID: 145949

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 22:44

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 22:44
David, seems I mis-understood your previous comment:-((
Yes, I fully agree with you about the "need to go there" principle....
Should have pointed out in my previous follow-up that I was in no way advocating driving in such conditions if there is no need to do so....
(sometimes it can't be avoided of course, but that probably wouldn't apply to this particular track.. if there's rain about, ya simply don't go there!!)....

Anyway, 'avagoodun!!!

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 399451

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 23:01

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 23:01
:-)

No problem. I've been guilty of misunderstanding posts before as well. I am also often guilty of not clearly explaining what I mean.

Cheers
Dave O
FollowupID: 399458

Follow Up By: John - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:52

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:52
I THINK THE BEST THING TO USE IS "BRAINS" NOT CHAINS, I LIVE A LONG WAY FROM THE AREA AND WOULD LIKE TO DRIVE THE TRACK SOMEDAY, AND NOT TO FIND IT CLOSED PERMANENTLY BECAUSE OF IRRESPONSABLE PEOPLE,IT IS HAPPENING EVERYWHERE NOW, GOOD CAMPING SPOTS AND TRACKS ARE FENCED OFF PERMANENTLY. OUR TRACKS IN NSW ARE HEADING TOWARDS 4WD CLUBS & MEMBERS ONLY ACCESS.
CHAINS MAY BE A NECESSITY IF YOU NEED TO GET SOMEWHERE SAFELY IN BAD CONDITIONS, BUT NOT SOMEWHERE YOU DONT NEED TO GO.
WE HAVE BEACHES ON THE NSW MID NORTH COAST WHICH YOU CANNOT DRIVE ON BECAUSE THE WEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE COMPRESSES THE SAND AND KILLS THE SAND WORMS, BUT FOR SOME REASON A HUGE STORM THAT WASES AWAY THE BEACK DOESNT CAUSE PROBLEMS,
FollowupID: 402856

Sponsored Links