GQ Carburettor question

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 19:10
ThreadID: 29031 Views:8587 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1988 GQ Patrol with the TB42 petrol engine and the Nikki carburettor. It's set up as a dual fueller, and on LPG it works fine and idles spot on at 650 RPM. Problem is it doesn't idle at all on petrol, and so you need to keep the throttle open a bit at the lights so it doesn't die on you. It also smells very rich and the exhaust pipe is too black for it to be running properly.

Pulling the filter housing off and staring down the primary, I see that the fuel is leaving the venturi like it's being poured out of a garden hose. Now it's been a long time since I've had a look down the throat of a carb, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be seeing THAT much fuel, even though it's a pretty big engine.

My questions are:
1) Should I be seeing a torrent of fuel (and hearing its lovely accompanying gurgling noise as it gets sucked in past the throttle butterfly) at idling speed? I'm used to seeing this sort of thing only when you operate the accelerator pump. As far as I can recall I shouldn't be seeing any liquid at idle, because after all the carburettor's job is to atomise the fuel into a spray, not act like a lawn sprinkler. Unless there's something different about the TB42 engine.

2) How do you check the float bowl level on these stupid things? Where the sight window should be, there's nothing but a steel blanking plate. Even in the workshop manual the photo shows a carb with a blanking plate. I'm thinking the reason the fuel is pouring out is because the float level is too high or the needle isn't shutting off the supply, but how I can check that without seeing the float level? I didn't bring my X-ray glasses.

If there are any peculiarities to the TB42/Nikki setup that can be causing my problems with petrol apart from the float level, perhaps somebody out there has had experience with them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 19:28

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 19:28
If it hasn't been run on petrol for a while you'll probably find that the carby has dried out and something is stuck causing fuel to flow through unmetered.
When it is on gas the accelerator pump on the carby would still operate when you nail it, once it ran out of fuel then it would be dry so it is probably stuck open.
Sounds like you should pull it apart and check it out.
AnswerID: 144749

Follow Up By: NotExcessive - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 19:39

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 19:39
I hadn't thought of that but yes it makes sense. The fuel flow is consistent with the accelerator pump being flat-out: most probably the ball bearing has jammed in the bore and the spring can't push it back again.

I've only had this truck for a few weeks and the fellow who had it before me never ran it on petrol at all. It's just now that I've had the time to investigate the petrol operation. After all, what's the point of a dual fuel setup if you can't run it properly on petrol?

If it is the accelerator pump, gawd knows what sort of fuel consumption it would give you on petrol. Don't think I want to find out!

I'll get a rebuild kit for it and spend a couple of hours on it soon.
FollowupID: 398282

Reply By: Barnray - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 20:18

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 20:18
My 2 cents worth. You should not see any fuel flow at Idle at all except for the accelerator pump when the throttle is opened, all the fuel at idle enters the air flow in the throttle body. The accelerator pump is normally directly connected to the throttle linkage and will only squirt fuel in when it is opened. Fuel should start to flow from the main jet into the venturi at about 800 to1000 rpm (gestamation) if there is flow from the main jet at idle the the float valve is stuck or has dirt in it, which is more common in duel fuel. Barnray
AnswerID: 144756

Sponsored Links