Air/fuel ratio meter on diesel?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 09:38
ThreadID: 29016 Views:4285 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have a spare air/fuel ration meter and sensor which I used to run on my petrol patrol. I now have a diesel 'cruiser and was wondering if this would be useful on this vehicle. I have never seen one on a diesel so perhaps there is a reason for this? I suspect the O2 sensor would get sooted up over time, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Any comments appreciated.
Cheers
Gerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian from Thermoguard Instruments - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:06

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:06
Hi Gerry,

Not a chance in hell, AFAIK. A/F meters based on O2 (Lambda) sensors react only over a very narrow range of oxygen concentration, just either side of the stoichiometirc ratio for air and petrol (approx 14.7:1). Your diesel will be running 99% of the time with huge percentages of excess air - and hence, large concentrations of oxygen. I'd expect the A/F meter to be clamped at the 'lean' end of the scale.

The only time it MIGHT read something else is at full throttle/full load, when your A/F ratio might be approaching stoichiometric and the excess oxygen concentration drops into the meter's measurable range. But even then, I'd suspect you'd be well into 'overfuelling', generating black smoke and excessive EGT well before the meter moved off its full 'lean' reading.

A few other considerations: Unless it's a self-heating type of Zirconia probe, your diesel exhaust will probably be too cool for it to measure at all, much of the time (i.e. unless you've got your foot flat to the boards). Then there's the soot, as you mention. And, lastly, what is the reading (if any) going to tell you?

But, all that said, I've haven't actually tried one in a diesel exhaust so I can't say with absolute certainty that it won't work at all.

Strangely enough, I have just about finished a technical article on these fundamental differences between petrol and diesel engines for my website. Hope to have it posted in the next couple of days. So, please keep an eye out for the new "Tech Info" page. Feddback is welcome.

AnswerID: 144670

Follow Up By: Gerry - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 16:11

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 16:11
Thanks for a very detailed and obviously knowledgeable answer. What you say makes perfect sense - it's just that I am quite unfamiliar with the characteristics of diesel combustion. I do plan to fit an EGT guage but was wondering whether the A/F meeter might help in alerting me to overfuelling situations - obviously not.
Thanks again for your help.
Gerry
FollowupID: 398248

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 19:10

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 19:10
Evening Ian

Did you get that pic of the thermocouple install on my Troopy that I sent you a couple of weeks ago.

Ken Robinson
FollowupID: 398281

Follow Up By: Ian from Thermoguard Instruments - Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:58

Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:58
Hi Gerry,

I've just posted that new "tech info" page to my website. Comments welcome.

Ian
FollowupID: 399500

Sponsored Links