Kimberley Spare Wheel

Submitted: Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 19:50
ThreadID: 29001 Views:5528 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, can someone please tell me ihow the wind down winch mechanism on a Kimberley kamper works. I picked up my new Kamper on the weekend, with the spare mounted on a swing-away at the back, and want to mount my extra spare underneath. The thing is, I must be plain stupid, but for the life if me I cant figure out how to get the wheel to attach to the metal thing on the end of the chain. Fully realisae I can ask the dealer, tomorrow, but's annoying me now! Does the chain come off altogether? Help!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Colin (WA) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 20:36

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 20:36
Hi Pat,
It should go through the center of the rim and locate to one of the stud holes,then wind it back up into position. That is if you you have the 2 part cranking handle to wind it up and down. It's the same as most toyota's just a bit longer.

Regards
Col
AnswerID: 144577

Reply By: Banjo 1 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:52

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:52
Had that system on my Mazda Bravo - the chain and winder method is used widely - as said above, the plate on the end of the chain should "mate" with the centre hole of the spare wheel rim - therefore the chain plate and the rim need to be compatible designed for each other. Seems to me that a different rim (and hole size) might just need a different plate - my plate from memory was oval, with flanges - it would slide through the hole (just) then mate with the rim as you tried to pull it up - as long as the winder and the chain are sound, its quite safe. Note that reports here have suggested that trying to get that wheel out on a muddy road while one tyre is flat can be hell..... and other repoprts suggest that when your winding mechanism is full of mud, it may jam ! But you might never have two flats ! Might pay to daub the winder with bulk grease etc.
AnswerID: 144653

Follow Up By: PatrickW - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 22:16

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 22:16
Thanks Banjo 1, got it! It all seems so obvious now!
Cheers.

Patrick
FollowupID: 398309

Sponsored Links