snorkel

Submitted: Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 17:36
ThreadID: 28996 Views:3662 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I,m trying to get a snorkel to fit an X-Trail as the air intake is in a ridiculous position smack in the middle of the grill. Also there are reports of X-Trails sucking in a gutfull a water and expiring, very expensive. None of the 4wd distributors and manufacturers currently have one and have no future plans. Does anyone know of a custom builder, preferably in Vic, who builds to order.

Regards Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ShnogDog - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:09

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 22:09
Brian, I cant say I've ever seen or heard of any snorkel for an X-Trail.

With all respect, if that is the kind of work you intend to do, you may be better to change your vehicle to one that has better offroad capability and either has a snorkel or can easily be fitted with one.

I know the x-trails are pretty good as far a soft roaders go, but it sounds to me like you are actually ready for a different class of vehicle. May be easier than tracking down a custom snorkel perhaps? Somehow, I dont think you would ever regret it.

Mark
AnswerID: 144600

Follow Up By: muddy X - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:08

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:08
Shnog,

Thats what people tell me but i'm dedicated to changing this puppy into a dog. I've got the suspension and replacement bar a snorkel would be great.

I've been searching for a workshop manual for the x-trail, you don't know of one that can be uploaded?
FollowupID: 398254

Reply By: vitara - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 15:14

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 15:14
Hi there muddy x I agree with ShnogDog's way of thinking, the xtrail is a great vehicle (except for the auto in sand overheating problems) as our friends have one, but if you are giong that deep with an xtrail I think you are asking for trouble. Yes they are a 4wd (no low range) plenty of power, and are quit capable of towing camper trailers etc through mud etc as they are very well advanced in there 4wd system, BUT if you are enquiring about a snorkel for one and no one makes them maybe that is telling you something. Not being a smart ar@e to you or any body that owns one as i said great vehicle but I would say you have reached the requirements for which the xtrail was designed for, if you like to go 4wding which you obviously do why not update to a pathfinder not as big as say a patrol landcruiser but will meet your requiremnts with alot more ease. Just a thought . Regards Vitara
AnswerID: 144715

Follow Up By: muddy X - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 18:02

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 18:02
Thanks Vitara,

my x-trail is manual and has overheated once on a steep clay incline, which isn't to bad for what i've put it through already.

a problem i have found is that when you go through deep bogg holes, the alternator bearing stuffs up. been told that the mud gets into the bearing and that what makes the problem. any suggestions

thanks for you reply

brian
FollowupID: 398270

Reply By: ACDC - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 19:52

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 19:52
I have seen snorkels available for x trails made in Taiwan.
AnswerID: 144752

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 21:45

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 21:45
Goto an exhaust shop and get one bent up out of stainless.. Polish it up, and they look sweet. plenty of people doing this now, also less chance of damage to the plastic.

I also agree with why waste a fortune on something that still has no low range...
AnswerID: 144770

Reply By: johannagoanna - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:16

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:16
Just have to add, that it would have to be hard to actually fit a snorket with the air intake in the front like that. Most vehicle that have a snorkel fitted have the air intake on the side up towards the back of the engine bay. Hence why the snorkels are fitted up the side of the windscreen! - Jo
AnswerID: 149647

Follow Up By: muddy X - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:38

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:38
On all cars being 4WD or not, all have the air intake at the front. It's the best place fo air.

But the iar intake is a dettachable item which joins at the back. Thats why all 4WD are on the side.
FollowupID: 402956

Sponsored Links