Anyone been to Mayfords Recently?

Submitted: Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 14:02
ThreadID: 28988 Views:1980 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday all. We are planning to head down to there ( Mayfords) Boxing day or the day after for a few relaxing days doing about nothing. We are coming in from the Dargo high plains road and am wondering just exactly what track conditions are like. I've been to the DSE site but would prefer first hand knowledge as it is very steep heading in and the last thing we want is to spend all day cutting through trees etc. I understand it has recently been graded.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 16:16

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 16:16
I was in there last summer checking out some mine ruins, the access had been graded, spoon drains and some minor re-alignment done, which has made the trek in a peice of cake. No problems to "normal" 4x4 with decent clearance. Before you cross the river at the first crossing, there was a new track off to the right going in for about 200M to a couple of new camps. It was pretty naked in there after the 03' fires, so a few campers had taken the initative and pushed further along that part of the river. In regards to the 'proper' cleared camping in the valley itself, this was all normal as usual. Just a pity the blind powers-that-be still doggedly insist on keeping Mayford Spur track closed, despite it being 99% regraded after the fires so that only walkers can use it!
AnswerID: 144537

Follow Up By: madcow - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:32

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:32
Thanks for the response as we are still up in the air as to where we intend to end up. I know of peolpe that have been through to Taylor's Crossing from Mitta recently although there were heaps of trees down most had been cleared or passable. Another option was this area and cross the Davies High Plains track into Tom Groggin and come back via Geehi.

cheers
FollowupID: 398176

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:17

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:17
Hi Desert

Sadly the reason that Mayford Spur track was closed was through idiots ring barking the trees by putting chains and winch cables around trees so they could winch up the track instead of using tree trunk protectors. Oncew again a few ruined it for the lot
Ray
FollowupID: 398182

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:20

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:20
A lot of that was done in the days before tree trunk protectors, as most of the PTO winches had a length of chain on the end.
FollowupID: 398183

Follow Up By: desert - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:51

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:51
Is that the "official" reason though? It was over 25 years ago and I have never had a straight answer from anyone in Parks. I think whomever closed it has long gone from the authority and the reason is now "lost". Also to shoulder some of the blame is the 4x4 assoc, who have "dropped" the ball so to speak, on this matter that has allowed the only access track across the Dargo river valley to remain closed for so long for whatever reason.?!
FollowupID: 398191

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:02

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:02
I think it goes beyond the "official" reason. A fair bit to do with Jack Treasure and Cobungra Stn and the Parks threw their weight behind it, as they had to do a lot of recoveries. The last time I went up it, it took all day to get three vehicles to the top.

A bit like the bridge over the lower dargo, the shire built the bridge after a sucession of vehicles being drowend. It could be up to a meter deep and fast flowing. Went to cross the bridge one year and the Dargo side had been washed away and there was a 3 meter drop to the river bed.
FollowupID: 398203

Reply By: Colin Shaw - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:12

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:12
Did you make the trip to Mayford and if so how was the track?
AnswerID: 148070

Follow Up By: madcow - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:35

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:35
No we ended up deciding to head over the Davies high plains for a few days. We drove for about 4-5 hours each day pulling up at about 2-3.00pm chucking up the tent and went swimming/fishing. Had a great time and were surprised to see an A-Van being towed across the mountains. Talk about doing it in style! I am planning to head there mid Feb for a couple of nights and will post the track condition then.

Cheers
FollowupID: 401467

Reply By: Colin Shaw - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:08

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:08
Thanks for that. I was planning a trip on the Blue Rag and then down to Mayford in March so would be interested in some feedback.
AnswerID: 148255

Sponsored Links